Budget Ryzen gaming rig

I'm in need of a newer system for some light gaming in titles like F1, Cities Skylines, Euro Truck 2...etc.

On a budget, but I don't have a set amount, though going by my current parts lists and prices I've seen for them, I reckon £400 is a reasonable amount to get me started.

I already have a usable case, SSD, Scythe cooler (Just need order a mount for Ryzen) and various peripherals, but need everything else.

Will likely get some parts of Amazon as I have £96 in credit to use, plus I have a small amount of credit elsewhere I can use against the CPU and RAM if needed. 

My parts list for now is as follows.

Ryzen 5 2600 (Non X as I can get it cheaper)

Asrock B450M-HDV

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition OC 8 GB

Be Quiet! BN293 PURE POWER 11 500W 80PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY

8gb of ram (Not sure what ram but 8gb is fine for now then I'll go 16gb later on)

Thanks

Desktop: Project 2019

Ryzen 5 2600|2x8gb Vegeance LPX|ASRock B40M Pro4

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 570 8 GB|be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600w

AData 240gb SSD

Laptop: Asus TUF Gaming F15

Core i5 - 11400H|16gb RAM|512GB M.2 SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

Atari 540 STE|IBM Thinkpad 760ED

This is already pretty good I think so most of the comments are just tweaks but here we go:

1) If you want wait like less than a month at this point, the Ryzen 3600 looks to be a pretty significant bump up but that's just an aside: 2600 is already pretty good at gaming anything with the only exception being extremely high refresh rate low detail gaming (So if that's your thing then intel might be worth it and a good "in between" compromise might end up being the 3600 I mentioned) (EDIT: Also I specifically said "high refresh low detail gaming" because at your budget you probably won't be able to push most games, and specially not recent AAA games, at high detail and high refresh. That costs a lot more)

2) I would actually aim for a 570 instead. It's a pretty good deal and not really that far away from the 580. I say this not because there's anything wrong at all with the 580 but because you could potentially make room for,

3) 16 gb ram. I go about it this way: the best time to buy RAM is right now because it has been well established RAM manufacturers are price fixing assholes that exacerbate the normal market fluctuations and unforseeable events like floods, earthquakes, etc. That in the past have had an effect on prices.

I know that 2) and 3) might seem to be opposite points but the difference is that while nobody can predict a new crypto driving demand for GPUs again those issues did respond almost entirely to market fluctuations whereas RAM companies have a history and even pending/current litigation for price fixing.

More over RAM upgrades beyond capacity are really not anywhere near as impactful as GPU upgrades so chances are you will be upgrading your GPU every 2 to 3 years anyways (At that price range, higher end GPUs you can keep for a lot longer but in the case of mid range 2 to 3 years it's reasonable before it start showing age too much)

Those are my overall thoughts but again, if you just wen with exactly what you picked already it would still be a damn effective system with lots and lots of fun ahead of it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

can you like get any kind of mobo that have a heatsink that seems have decent surface area or just having a heatsink in general, with that said if you want to go overclocking i would reccomend doing that.

24 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

2) I would actually aim for a 570 instead. It's a pretty good deal and not really that far away from the 580. I say this not because there's anything wrong at all with the 580 but because you could potentially make room for,

3) 16 gb ram. I go about it this way: the best time to buy RAM is right now because it has been well established RAM manufacturers are price fixing assholes that exacerbate the normal market fluctuations and unforseeable events like floods, earthquakes, etc. That in the past have had an effect on prices.

Agree go for the 16gb or ram now because its a good time to buy.  I would still try to get an rx 580  if you can squeeze it in your budget.  If not then go with the 570.

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Those are my overall thoughts but again, if you just wen with exactly what you picked already it would still be a damn effective system with lots and lots of fun ahead of it.

Thanks, I might hold out for the 3600 if it's reasonably priced, but then if the 2600s drop because of it, then maybe worth going with that anyway and save money for other components.

The 580 I've listed is around £10-15 more than some 570s I've seen, so I figure it's worth it longer term to spend the extra and get a bit more from the GPU?

Unlikely to go high refresh rate anytime soon, and 1080p 60hz/70hz is fine for me.

Maybe I'll upgrade monitors eventually but for now just decent graphics settings and decent FPS is what I want.

3 minutes ago, Oalei said:

can you like get any kind of mobo that have a heatsink that seems have decent surface area or just having a heatsink in general, with that said if you want to go overclocking i would reccomend doing that.

Not likely to overclock, and I really only listed the Asrock one as ir was quite cheap and TBH I don't need many features.

But If there's any cheap but better boards out there then I'd consider them even if I won't OC.

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

2 minutes ago, PCturbobutton said:

Not likely to overclock, and I really only listed the Asrock one as ir was quite cheap and TBH I don't need many features. 

But If there's any cheap but better boards out there then I'd consider them even if I won't OC.

well me as a person who plays games mainly i dont think i need anything more than a PCie for a GPU and x2 or x4 for something. Well afaik hdv from asrock is suppose to be the cheapest there is or maybe biostar stuff.

50 minutes ago, Oalei said:

well me as a person who plays games mainly i dont think i need anything more than a PCie for a GPU and x2 or x4 for something. Well afaik hdv from asrock is suppose to be the cheapest there is or maybe biostar stuff.

Basic overclocking might be fine, but yeah I just need a decent functioning motherboard for the parts going into it, therefore something cheap would do me.

A PCIE x16 slot and a couple of X1s, plus a few USB3 and even an M.2 for SSD upgrades.

I'll have a look at other options and see what's available. Last few builds I've done have used Gigabyte boards, either through choice, or just grabbing a bundle with them, but i'd like to switch it up this time.

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

5 hours ago, PCturbobutton said:

Basic overclocking might be fine, but yeah I just need a decent functioning motherboard for the parts going into it, therefore something cheap would do me.

A PCIE x16 slot and a couple of X1s, plus a few USB3 and even an M.2 for SSD upgrades.

I'll have a look at other options and see what's available. Last few builds I've done have used Gigabyte boards, either through choice, or just grabbing a bundle with them, but i'd like to switch it up this time.

OK I will wait for the new mobo's you can find. Look for a B350GT3 from biostar that's a decent enough mobo iirc. 

7 hours ago, PCturbobutton said:

What are the prices for the ASRock B450 Pro4, those have better heatsinks for the VRM and can probably hold higher OC than the HDV.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

11 hours ago, BigRom said:

What are the prices for the ASRock B450 Pro4, those have better heatsinks for the VRM and can probably hold higher OC than the HDV.

Pro4 is about £72.36, and looks good for the price, maybe worth grabbing one of those.

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

So, I grab an ASRock B450 Pro4 motherboard, 2600 or If I wait maybe a 3600, and then just pay the little extra for a RX580 8gb. 

Should just grab 16gb ram, but does it matter what speed and such? I'd just grab whatever is cheapest branded kit. 

Psu is likely 500w or more, and I can browse reviews and such for what model is best from what I can get, though the one I listed looks decent. 

My 240gb SSD, cooler master 690ii case and Scythe Ashura cooler should be fine to reuse plus I have decent peripherals so no need for any upgrade there. 

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

6 hours ago, PCturbobutton said:

So, I grab an ASRock B450 Pro4 motherboard, 2600 or If I wait maybe a 3600, and then just pay the little extra for a RX580 8gb. 

Should just grab 16gb ram, but does it matter what speed and such? I'd just grab whatever is cheapest branded kit. 

Psu is likely 500w or more, and I can browse reviews and such for what model is best from what I can get, though the one I listed looks decent. 

My 240gb SSD, cooler master 690ii case and Scythe Ashura cooler should be fine to reuse plus I have decent peripherals so no need for any upgrade there. 

RAM just get 3000Mhz or higher, brand doesn't matter that much as RAM are pretty reliable in general.

PSU since you're in Europe, Bitfenix & be quiet! are usually good options. Check out the tier list and pick something at least from Tier C and above.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

25 minutes ago, BigRom said:

RAM just get 3000Mhz or higher, brand doesn't matter that much as RAM are pretty reliable in general.

PSU since you're in Europe, Bitfenix & be quiet! are usually good options. Check out the tier list and pick something at least from Tier C and above.

So 3000Mhz ram, or higher it is then. 

I listed a be quiet model in my original post which looks decent enough at 500w, but I'll look around for any others worth considering. 

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:08 PM, PCturbobutton said:

I'm in need of a newer system for some light gaming in titles like F1, Cities Skylines, Euro Truck 2...etc.

On a budget, but I don't have a set amount, though going by my current parts lists and prices I've seen for them, I reckon £400 is a reasonable amount to get me started.

I already have a usable case, SSD, Scythe cooler (Just need order a mount for Ryzen) and various peripherals, but need everything else.

Will likely get some parts of Amazon as I have £96 in credit to use, plus I have a small amount of credit elsewhere I can use against the CPU and RAM if needed. 

My parts list for now is as follows.

Ryzen 5 2600 (Non X as I can get it cheaper)

Asrock B450M-HDV

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition OC 8 GB

Be Quiet! BN293 PURE POWER 11 500W 80PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY

8gb of ram (Not sure what ram but 8gb is fine for now then I'll go 16gb later on)

Thanks

Maybe something like this should suffice..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£127.50 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£69.16 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£49.19 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card  (£159.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.99 @ Box Limited) 
Total: £459.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-18 06:52 BST+0100

You can wait or the ryzen 2 parts to drop in the market which will reduce the prices of existing ryzen+ parts.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

3 hours ago, vexicus365 said:

Maybe something like this should suffice..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£127.50 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£69.16 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£49.19 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card  (£159.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.99 @ Box Limited) 
Total: £459.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-18 06:52 BST+0100

You can wait or the ryzen 2 parts to drop in the market which will reduce the prices of existing ryzen+ parts.

Not bad looking for the price, thanks for the suggestion.

What would be the difference in getting a 4gb 580 over the 8gb, and would a used card be OK?

I can get the CPU and RAM from amazon and using my gift balance will make it £87. Then I can grab a used RX580 8gb online for £124 after I use a voucher or a 4gb model for £89 after voucher is used.

That would make it £211 for a CPU, 2X4gb  of RAM and an 8gb 580 or £176 if I went for the used 4gb 580.

With the motherboard and PSU added I could get the parts listed for £334 or even swap out the ram for a 16GB kit from corsair for a little extra - Vengeance LPX 16 GB

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

I can get a used RX570 8gb model for £99, would that be decent enough compared to an RX 580 8gb?

1080p would be my max resolution for the foreseeable future and I don't think I'd be going ultrawide or anything.

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

So I've bought all the major parts and ended up with the following.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600 with cooler.

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 

RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance

GPU: RX570 8gb 

PSU - be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600w (80plus gold)

Ended up spending around £313 in total after voucher and my Amazon gift balance was used.

Not a bad price, and should be a decent system for the type of gaming I'll be doing. 

1080p in F1, Euro truck 2 and cities skylines plus any other older games in my steam library i've yet to play.

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.