Hey guys, so I have been out of the PC scene for a while till recently. Its amazing to see how large and frequent the strides in technology development is and I'm proud to be a part of it as it grows.

Recently, I was selling my RAM kit to get some better ones and a guy reached out asking for a ridiculously low price because 1. It was was used (2mo) and 2. DDR5 is coming soon and it will outperform.

This has the chance to come off as naive or un-knowledgeable but that was my past couple years in the tech field.

My understanding of DDR5 is that it hasn't been finalized enough to take onto mainstream and especially because DDR4 is doing so well. But the guy insisted it was coming soon and ultimately I refused to sell a Corsair 16gb 3000Mhz Cl15 kit for 80 bucks.

So my question to you guys is, is DDR5 to be expected soon? Wouldn't that mean you will indefinitely need a new CPU-Mobo combo to make use of it? Are there any chances of it having backward compatibility? Will DDR4 drop in price even more so, regardless of DDR5 and if it does come out, can we expect a dramatic drop? Leave your thoughts below please, looking to get as much insight as I can absorb lol

Thanks!

DDR5 is not close enough to production and no existing chipsets support it, so they're probably going to be disappointed. Like it's probably not going to be a thing until 2020, and again, new chipset required.

11 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

So my question to you guys is, is DDR5 to be expected soon?

for desktop mem, no where soon. (soonest may be 2021, but still unlikely

12 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Will DDR4 drop in price even more

it almost have reach bottom, price are now similar to lowest ddr3 ram history

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

DDR5 is not close enough to production and no existing chipsets support it, so they're probably going to be disappointed. Like it's probably not going to be a thing until 2020, and again, new chipset required.

as I thought then. Actually I thought maybe 2022 or later. Next year is a tad too close to not hear anything right?

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

for desktop mem, no where soon. (soonest may be 2021, but still unlikely

it almost have reach bottom, price are now similar to lowest ddr3 ram history

Bro thats what I thought too! How cheap can something get you know. Prices like this are never before seen

2 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Actually I thought maybe 2022 or later. Next year is a tad too close to not hear anything right?

Since amd just announced pcie 4.0 as new mobo feature and this is guaranteed to be supported for am4 sockets up to 2020, so we wouldnt see anything exciting next yr.

another limitation is sata port3  6G, its already maxed out by any ssd .

untill ssd price drops more (another 50% would be nice~~) and being more popular, mobo shall not react too soon... 

They are still in the prototyping phase with DDR5, though it is slated to enter production by the end of the year, it probably will only be used in server grade components for a while and not make it into consumer chipsets until  at least 2021. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

People complain over SSD prices too much. I felt paying 800€ for top of the line 2TB SSD was worth it few years ago. Quite some time has passed since and 2TB SSD's have dropped to around 300€ mark. And I still don't regret my purchase decision from back then. It was one of best investments actually. It's SATA SSD since there were no M.2 2TB SSD's back then, but even at 550MB in both directions, huge amount of IOPS and hard to match long term performance and durability of Samsung 850 Pro, it'll serve me for as long as SATA will be a thing imo.

People don't realize SSD's as full replacements for HDD's are excellent investment as they never really get outdated if you take big enough capacity (which at 2TB I feel this way). When has any graphic card for 300€ held its value for 5 years without any deterioration in its functionality? SSD's value doesn't really change with time because simply having an SSD accelerates everything by factor of 10x. Even between SATA and M.2 NVMe, unless you need raw sequential speed, there is hardly any difference for 90% of users. And that's the value I'm talking about. 300€ graphic card will become useless after 5 years since it'll hardly be able to run anything at meaningful framerates. 300€ SSD will load things quickly now and in 5 years time and probably even more. If more people would think this way, they'd sell a lot more SSD's and people would have much more responsive systems than with crappy tiny boot drives. Coz once you go all SSD there is no way going back. It's just that nice.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

People complain over SSD prices too much.

Yes there was a price bloom in ssd, being relatively too high for roughly 10 yrs.

now has dropped a lot like 1tb under $100 (crappiest model / worth it or not?~whatever). but what upset you the most is the ssd speed already reached max that sata port can handle, this show we wont have any more improvement in near future. 

My thought is we will still be stuck here if ssd market isnt close to saturated.

Seems to be routed for 2021 at the earliest aligmed with AM5, and intel finally getting desktop production of 10nm or 7nm. 

Current guesses are there based on release sqedual.

Also id sell that kot for 80$ since i believe you can get a new kit for 75$

1 hour ago, Casual Cube said:

So my question to you guys is, is DDR5 to be expected soon? 

Nope, it'll be at least 2 years before we see DDR5 RAM on the market. It'll probably be another year or two after that before prices go down to an acceptable level.

1 hour ago, Casual Cube said:

Will DDR4 drop in price even more so, regardless of DDR5 and if it does come out, can we expect a dramatic drop?

I don't think it will. DDR4 prices are at an all time low, I'd be surprised if they dropped further.