Motherboard BIOS no longer recognizing boot drive after Windows 10 1903 update

Hey y'all.

A few hours ago I finished updating to 1903. Now, every time I start up my computer, the BIOS gives me an error message to the effect of "boot drive not detected, insert valid boot drive and restart."

I have tried updating my BIOS, but the manufacturer, Gigabyte, has only updated their BIOS to support up to version 1809. Do you guys think that this is the cause of my boot drive issues? If so, I've attached a screenshot of the Control Panel Uninstall Update page. Which of these updates is the one I need to uninstall?

The only way I've been able to get Windows to boot is by updating, then downgrading my BIOS. If I restart, I have to perform this process all over again.

Additionally, if it is of any use, I've attached my specs in a screenshot below. Furthermore, I'm providing a link to the support page where the BIOS versions are listed.

Thank you very much for your help,

Echino

image.png

image.png

Edited by Echino
Forgot to mention how I was on my computer if it wouldn't recognize my boot drive.

is the boot drive connected securely? what is your boot drive (ssd or hdd and what model)?

10 hours ago, Saksham said:

is the boot drive connected securely? what is your boot drive (ssd or hdd and what model)?

1. Yes. That was the first thing I checked.

2. A Seagate 480GB SSD. Not sure of the model name because I am not the original owner -- I took it out of an upgraded laptop I bought used from eBay. However, considering the fact that I'm currently on said computer, the hardware side of things is pretty much guaranteed to NOT be the problem. It's software related.

Please note an edit that I made to my post:

The only way I've been able to get Windows to boot is by updating, then downgrading my BIOS. If I restart, I have to perform this process all over again.

I hope this new information helps in some way.

Gigabyte recently released new chipset drivers for win 1903 for some boards. Mine is an x470 gaming 7 and there is one. They can be fussy about the chipset/bios combo so usually there's a note telling you which chipset has to be installed before updating bios. Sometimes they don't want bios versions skipped while updating either.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x#support-dl-bios

I see there isn't anything about 1903 for your board.

Try installing these the latest chipset:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x#support-dl-driver-chipset

Hope that helps.

OR, you can uninstall 1903 and wait...

sounds like incompatibility with windows and bios. downgrade windows if possible. then update bios

Do you have any secure boot settings in BIOS?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

On 6/13/2019 at 1:17 PM, Drawbar said:

Gigabyte recently released new chipset drivers for win 1903 for some boards. Mine is an x470 gaming 7 and there is one. They can be fussy about the chipset/bios combo so usually there's a note telling you which chipset has to be installed before updating bios. Sometimes they don't want bios versions skipped while updating either.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x#support-dl-bios

I see there isn't anything about 1903 for your board.

Try installing these the latest chipset:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x#support-dl-driver-chipset

Hope that helps.

OR, you can uninstall 1903 and wait...

I ended up doing the second suggestion. Didn't work. So then I just rolled back Windows to 1809 like @Saksham suggested and it's working again. Per your suggestion, I will wait until either Microsoft or Gigabyte release a fix.

Additionally, one of Gigabyte's technical support staff confirmed that this was a known issue and insisted that it was a problem with Windows and not their motherboard BIOS.

Did you have any external drives attached during the update?  I wanna say I read that that could be problematic.  

And also my previous question?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case