Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nickinum

Can you put Ecc memory on a asus pt6 motherboard

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My Friend game me so 24G of DDR-3 ecc memory I was wondering if i can use it in my asus P6T motherboard. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The motherboard manual states it only supports non-ECC memory but it is possible you could use the memory just that the ECC feature will be disabled. What CPU are you using? We can check if it supports ECC at all.


Guides & Tutorials:

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to recover your Windows login password with CMD | Hiren'sBootCD(updated) | Medicat

 

In the Queue:

How to Build Your Own DAS

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ECC is fine, at worst it just run non-ECC mode. But is it buffered or 4 gigabit?


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Windows7ge said:

The motherboard manual states it only supports non-ECC memory but it is possible you could use the memory just that the ECC feature will be disabled. What CPU are you using? We can check if it supports ECC at all.

I know its old but a I7 920

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

ECC is fine, at worst it just run non-ECC mode. But is it buffered or 4 gigabit?

Its 4G

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nickinum said:

Its 4G

ah, no I'm supposed to ask "is it 4bit memory dies". Those are AMD only.


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nickinum said:

I know its old but a I7 920

Yeah, no it doesn't support ECC.

 

Jurrunio reminded me of something important since were talking about server memory here. Is it UDIMM or RDIMM? (Unbuffered or Registered) If it's RDIMM chances are you won't be able to use it. If it's UDIMM there's hope.


Guides & Tutorials:

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to recover your Windows login password with CMD | Hiren'sBootCD(updated) | Medicat

 

In the Queue:

How to Build Your Own DAS

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, no it doesn't support ECC.

 

Jurrunio reminded me of something important since were talking about server memory here. Is it UDIMM or RDIMM? (Unbuffered or Registered) If it's RDIMM chances are you won't be able to use it. If it's UDIMM there's hope.

it looks like its a RDIMM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

ah, no I'm supposed to ask "is it 4bit memory dies". Those are AMD only.

how do i tell?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nickinum said:

it looks like its a RDIMM

 

then no you can't use it.

 

1 minute ago, Nickinum said:

how do i tell?

Googling the part number, but if it is RDIMM (in the model number it might say 1333R for example) then that's no longer a problem


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nickinum said:

how do i tell?

If the label says something like Regestered, RDIMM, or Buffered.

What you want to see is something like Unbuffered or UDIMM.

 

Alternatively if you can tell us what the label says.


Guides & Tutorials:

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to recover your Windows login password with CMD | Hiren'sBootCD(updated) | Medicat

 

In the Queue:

How to Build Your Own DAS

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If the label says something like Regestered, RDIMM, or Buffered.

What you want to see is something like Unbuffered or UDIMM.

 

Alternatively if you can tell us what the label says.

its says 2Rx4 pc3-10600R 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never tried ECC with an i7 but ECC Unbuffered works great with the Xeons which work in those sockets, the best of which are $25 and less.

 

Registered memory is not officially supported but occasionally does work just fine for some people on some boards. If you got it, give it a try!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Slayer3032 said:

I've never tried ECC with an i7 but ECC Unbuffered works great with the Xeons which work in those sockets, the best of which are $25 and less.

 

Registered memory is not officially supported but occasionally does work just fine for some people on some boards. If you got it, give it a try!

What would be the best xeon for this socket I'm not to familiar with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nickinum said:

What would be the best xeon for this socket I'm not to familiar with them.

Something in the X56xx family of Xeons would be the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a great thread for X58 stuff you might want to check out too, there's guys there who do everything from booting NVMe's, dry ice overclocking and more crazy stuff. You'll likely end up buying a Westmere hexcore though!

 

I'd suggest a X5675 since it's generally $25, pretty well binned and often performs about the same as a i7 980x and the higher end X5680/X5690 skus when overclocked.

 

There's all sorts of options from $3-5 Nehalem quads like the E5520 or X5550, up to high end Westmere hexcores like the X5680/X5690 which are most valuable and useful with motherboards you can't overclock with like a Mac Pro, server or workstation. There's also Westmere quads like the X5687 and low end hexcores like the E5649, all of which overclock rather well.

 

Xeons are multiplier locked though so unlike a i7 980x/990x you will only be able to reduce the multiplier from stock, X58 however is capable of overclocking with the base clock so nothing stops you from running 23x200 to get 4.6ghz instead of say for example 46x100. You will also generally need a bios update for Westmere/Gulftown/hexcore support, but my home server's Asus P6T's latest bios works great and the P6T boards are really common. Most of the boards in the P6T line up are lower end so don't expect to break records with them but with a good cooler there's no reason you shouldn't see 4.0-4.2ghz. Overclocking is really the strength of this platform.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

There's a great thread for X58 stuff you might want to check out too, there's guys there who do everything from booting NVMe's, dry ice overclocking and more crazy stuff. You'll likely end up buying a Westmere hexcore though!

 

I'd suggest a X5675 since it's generally $25, pretty well binned and often performs about the same as a i7 980x and the higher end X5680/X5690 skus when overclocked.

 

There's all sorts of options from $3-5 Nehalem quads like the E5520 or X5550, up to high end Westmere hexcores like the X5680/X5690 which are most valuable and useful with motherboards you can't overclock with like a Mac Pro, server or workstation. There's also Westmere quads like the X5687 and low end hexcores like the E5649, all of which overclock rather well.

 

Xeons are multiplier locked though so unlike a i7 980x/990x you will only be able to reduce the multiplier from stock, X58 however is capable of overclocking with the base clock so nothing stops you from running 23x200 to get 4.6ghz instead of say for example 46x100. You will also generally need a bios update for Westmere/Gulftown/hexcore support, but my home server's Asus P6T's latest bios works great and the P6T boards are really common. Most of the boards in the P6T line up are lower end so don't expect to break records with them but with a good cooler there's no reason you shouldn't see 4.0-4.2ghz. Overclocking is really the strength of this platform.

Thank you for going the extra mile and informing me of the best way to go about this I didn't not know there was another thread 

that goes more in depth about this whole thing. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×