Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bzdsftw

Super frustrated :( GPU problem? PSU? Mobo?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone. I will appreciate any help you can offer. 
My specs:

i7 8700k

Asus Z370 Prime F

MSI GTX 1080 TI GAMING X TRIO 

960 Evo nvme SSD

16GB 3200mhz G skill rainbow shit

Mobo bios: 2001

PSU: EVGA G+ 850w Modular


So 2 months ago, my pc started randomly shutting down out of nowhere. I immediately suspected the gpu of being faulty so I sent it for RMA. While my 1080 was away, I used my spare GTX 1060 6GB. That was stable for the entire time with 0 hiccups. I just got my 1080ti back (Brand new 1 for 1 replacement) yesterday and now it's exhibiting the same problems. ie. 5-60 min into a game, the screen will go blank, the audio works for another 5 seconds, my gpu fans go to 100% for some reason and I will have to manually reset the pc for it to work again. 

Upon this happening. I thought it couldn't be the gpu since they sent me a new one and I insisted they stress test it first, which they did, so I thought it could be a PSU problem. That's when I got a brand new 850w PSU and still the problem persists. And an hour ago, sometimes it won't even be able to boot into windows and shows this image instead (no windows loading icon) and requires 2 or 3 hard resets before booting into windows. 

 

 

In summary, 

 

PC with 1080ti keeps crashing during games, 100% fan speed and no image until reboot. Couple hours later, rebooting results in attached image instead of windows booting. Have attempted replacing gpu and psu and problem does not go away.Temps for GPU never went above 70c. Temps for CPU/Mobo/PCH never went above 65c/45c/65c respectively.

 

Please save my baby :(

photo_2019-05-23_11-55-42.jpg

photo_2019-05-23_12-10-13.jpg


i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is probably have to do with the GPU drivers.

Use DDU and install the previous version, even the one before that.


CPU:i7 9700k 4.9Ghz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 2500Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, SSD mushkin chronos 120GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK600-W, IPS, HDR10, 4K 2nd: Samsung P2470HD Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014 Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

yesterday and now it's exhibiting the same problems. ie. 5-60 min into a game, the screen will go blank, the audio works for another 5 seconds, my gpu fans go to 100% for some reason and I will have to manually reset the pc for it to work again. 

urgh, that really sucks.

That's an awful to troubleshoot Problem. Since the GPU is fine, PSU is still possible but I don't think that's really the issue, even if the G+ is pretty shitty for an 80plus Gold unit.

Also PSU Problems are often extremely reproducably. For example it reboots always exactly at that point. But its not a reboot, its a hard freeze. So Probably not PSU. I give that a 10%, maybe 25% chance.

 

So that only leaves the worst parts:
Motherboard, CPU and Memory.

First I'd try is the Memory. How is the Clockrate? Have you tried it at DDR4-2133? If that doesn't change anything, all that's left is CPU and Motherboard...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

urgh, that really sucks.

That's an awful to troubleshoot Problem. Since the GPU is fine, PSU is still possible but I don't think that's really the issue, even if the G+ is pretty shitty for an 80plus Gold unit.

Also PSU Problems are often extremely reproducably. For example it reboots always exactly at that point. But its not a reboot, its a hard freeze. So Probably not PSU. I give that a 10%, maybe 25% chanc e.

 

So that only leaves the worst parts:
Motherboard, CPU and Memory.

First I'd try is the Memory. How is the Clockrate? Have you tried it at DDR4-2133? If that doesn't change anything, all that's left is CPU and Motherboard...

Hey there.

 

Is the G+ 850w that bad? Read many positive reviews. 

Anyway I have a seasonic focus plus 750w that I replaced with the EVGA. Didn't do a thing to help with the freezes. So yesterday I went out and bought a z390 aorus elite from Gigabyte. Still didn't fix it. FFUUUU.

 

So to date I've replaced the mobo, gpu and psu. I wonder if its my power extension strip that's perhaps faulty and causing this problem  when the card starts to pull more power from the wall.


i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

Is the G+ 850w that bad? Read many positive reviews. 

I didn't see many professional reviews.

User Reviews for PSU is something you can disregard.

8 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

Anyway I have a seasonic focus plus 750w that I replaced with the EVGA. Didn't do a thing to help with the freezes.

Yeah, because throwing Wattage on it doesn't help. Both are way too high wattage and a waste of money...

 

8 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

So yesterday I went out and bought a z390 aorus elite from Gigabyte. Still didn't fix it. FFUUUU.

Why throw more money at the system??

Have you tested the GPU in another System??

That would be the first thing I'd do...

8 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

So to date I've replaced the mobo, gpu and psu. I wonder if its my power extension strip that's perhaps faulty and causing this problem  when the card starts to pull more power from the wall.

Disregard Power Supply Issues. That is unlikely. Except if you live in an area with shitty Line Voltages...

But have you tested the GPU in another system??

 

But it could also be a DRIVER issue. Is it in all games or just in one certain??
I know that nVidia Turing Cards caused Crashing in Ghost Recon Wildlands, that wasn't fixed for ~8 Months.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 12:10 AM, bzdsftw said:

Hey everyone. I will appreciate any help you can offer. 
My specs:

i7 8700k

Asus Z370 Prime F

MSI GTX 1080 TI GAMING X TRIO 

960 Evo nvme SSD

16GB 3200mhz G skill rainbow shit

Mobo bios: 2001

PSU: EVGA G+ 850w Modular


So 2 months ago, my pc started randomly shutting down out of nowhere. I immediately suspected the gpu of being faulty so I sent it for RMA. While my 1080 was away, I used my spare GTX 1060 6GB. That was stable for the entire time with 0 hiccups. I just got my 1080ti back (Brand new 1 for 1 replacement) yesterday and now it's exhibiting the same problems. ie. 5-60 min into a game, the screen will go blank, the audio works for another 5 seconds, my gpu fans go to 100% for some reason and I will have to manually reset the pc for it to work again. 

Upon this happening. I thought it couldn't be the gpu since they sent me a new one and I insisted they stress test it first, which they did, so I thought it could be a PSU problem. That's when I got a brand new 850w PSU and still the problem persists. And an hour ago, sometimes it won't even be able to boot into windows and shows this image instead (no windows loading icon) and requires 2 or 3 hard resets before booting into windows. 

 

 

In summary, 

 

PC with 1080ti keeps crashing during games, 100% fan speed and no image until reboot. Couple hours later, rebooting results in attached image instead of windows booting. Have attempted replacing gpu and psu and problem does not go away.Temps for GPU never went above 70c. Temps for CPU/Mobo/PCH never went above 65c/45c/65c respectively.

 

Please save my baby :(

photo_2019-05-23_11-55-42.jpg

photo_2019-05-23_12-10-13.jpg

 

 

I see one problem right away.

 

Your only using one PCIe cable, that is a problem, need to be running separate cables.


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

 

 

I see one problem right away.

 

Your only using one PCIe cable, that is a problem, need to be running separate cables.

that shouldn't be that much of an issue...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

hi. i actually thought about that and installed 2 separate pci-e cables. I also changed my entire surge protector and power extension and the crash still happened. However I downclocked my 3200mhz ram to 2666mhz after that and managed to get through an entire gaming session (about 1 hr) without crashing. If this turned out to be a ram problem in $500 down the sh!tter lol

0c1f74c9-14ae-4374-842c-fd04f3a8adb3.jpg


i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

update: it just crashed again fk my life


i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

update: it just crashed again fk my life

 

 

READ MY POST BELOW.


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

So yesterday I went out and bought a z390 aorus elite from Gigabyte.

 

Did you plug in BOTH CPU power connections?

 

Actually your Seasonic Focus Plus should be fine, it's 750W and better than the new one you bought.

 

Switch it back to that PSU and make sure both CPU power connections are plugged in.

 

And use 2 separate PCIe cables for the GPU.

 

Update Windows 10 to the newest vers and make sure the NVIDIA drivers are also updated.

 

 


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bzdsftw said:

update: it just crashed again fk my life

I feel ya my man, my vega 64 also crashes my system and ive rma'd 3x now still the same shit

Funny thing is i put in a GTX 1060 and it runs like it should


Let's agree to disagree

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

I feel ya my man, my vega 64 also crashes my system and ive rma'd 3x now still the same shit

Funny thing is i put in a GTX 1060 and it runs like it should

 

What PSU?

 

It absolutely does matter with that GPU.


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ankerson said:

 

What PSU?

 

It absolutely does matter with that GPU.

current PSU i use isnt that great, it came with the store prebuild : sharkoon WPM700 bronze

But it also happens with my intel build and that has a Corsair HX650 Gold (its 5 years old tough)

 

 

Edit: I just get random lockups at any given time, even at the windows login screen it locks up

screen gets unresponsive and after a few secs goes black and all my peripherals shut down (keyboard,mouse,xbox controller, id card reader) and i have to hard reset

 


Let's agree to disagree

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

current PSU i use isnt that great, it came with the store prebuild : sharkoon WPM700 bronze

But it also happens with my intel build and that has a Corsair HX650 Gold (its 5 years old tough)

 

That would do it with the store built one.

 

With the HX650 did you use 2 separate PCIe cables or one?

 

Need to use 2 separate cables and that is without question.

 

And for the store built PC get a good quality PSU, 650W or 750W, something in Tier A+ on the PSU tier list.


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

That would do it with the store built one.

 

With the HX650 did you use 2 separate PCIe cables or one?

 

Need to use 2 separate cables.

 

And for the store built PC get a good quality PSU, 650W or 750W, something in Tier A+ on the PSU tier list.

i always use 2 seperate cables, never daisychain


Let's agree to disagree

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

i always use 2 seperate cables, never daisychain

Ok, try a PSU good PSU and let us know.

 

Tier A+ in the tier list, 750W ideally.

 

The VEGA 64's are serious power hogs.


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Ok, try a PSU good PSU and let us know.

 

Tier A+ in the tier list, 750W ideally.

Corsair HX750/850 has multiable rails so i guess this is also better (im really bad a psu stuff)


Let's agree to disagree

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrTiC said:

Corsair HX750/850 has multiable rails so i guess this is also better (im really bad a psu stuff)

 Won't make any difference really, as long as it's NEW. :)


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", HYPERX Alloy Elite KB, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

 

NEW PSU Tier List      MB Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Update: just bought a RTX 2080 TI and issue has gone away


Conclusion: GPU issue.


i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×