CPU Clock speed not stable

Hello ! First time here on the forum ,but I really need some help.

Recently i bought a new laptop the acer nitro 5 , it came with a i7-8750h, gtx 1050 4gb , 128ssd and 8 of ram (i bought 16gb (2x8gb)) later , but the thing is that when playing cs go or gtav my cpu clock was always stable a ~3.9ghz but the last 2 weeks have been  a nightmare.

My Cpu clock , randomly drops to 800mhz for a couple of seconds , then it goes to 2.2ghz, i searched for help on google and downloaded throttlestop nad for some reason the option "Disable Turbo" was enable , so i uncheckd it and clicked save and my cpu clock jumped fot 3.9 again , but the thing is that after a couple of minutes it drops to 800mhz or 2.2ghz and then it comes back to 3.9ghz but its never stable like before , its always jumping from 3.1ghz to 3.5ghz and back to 3.9ghz , and my temps are ok , never reached more than 90C .

my power management settings are all default cause if i change them like some forums show, the cpu never goes higher than 2.20, .

i really just want to play like i did before with a stable 3.9 ghz , thanks !

It's a laptop, you do not want it to run at 3.9ghz if it doesn't have to. It will cause it to run much hotter then necessary and draw excess battery. Disabling turbo actually hurts your performance, since it will only run at base frequency now. And dispite the fact that a CPU can run at 105C before throttling, running a CPU to 90C during load, back to 30 during idle every day for several times is going to cause it to fail much quicker due to thermal cycle damage. CPU's also use more power the hotter they get. Rule of thumb is 4% every 10 degrees. 

Please undo whatever it is that you did and explain why this is important to you. Are you experiencing performance issues?

In a well designed laptop chassis, the 8750H is capable of running fully loaded at 3.9 GHz on all 6 cores.  It just needs to be setup properly and it needs to be properly cooled so it is not thermal throttling.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a mobile CPU fast.  When a core has nothing to do, it will automatically enter the low power core C7 C state.  In this state, it is disconnected from the voltage rail so it is at 0 volts and it is also disconnected from the internal clock so it is running at 0 MHz.  Whatever speed the rest of the active cores on the CPU are running at is not important.  You want the active cores to run fast when they have something to do because that is the most efficient way for a CPU to get a task done.  This is why Intel invented Speed Shift technology for their modern CPUs.  It is also why Microsoft has tweaked recent versions of Windows 10 to take advantage of this technology.  Software that only reports MHz without also reporting C state activity is not a good way to judge what a modern CPU is doing internally.    

What monitoring software are you using that is showing these drops to 800 MHz?  A lot of monitoring software does not do a great job of tracking the CPU frequency of Intel processors when they are only partially loaded.  Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop, go in the Options window and turn on GPU monitoring and check the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option.  Go play some games, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file and then copy and paste the data somewhere convenient like www.pastebin.com or attach the log file here.  It will be in the ThrottleStop/Logs folder with today's date on it.

Post lots of pictures that show exactly how you have ThrottleStop setup.  Main window, FIVR window and TPL window.  If cooling is not a problem, you should be able to get your CPU running a lot better by properly setting up ThrottleStop.  

12 hours ago, unclewebb said:

In a well designed laptop chassis, the 8750H is capable of running fully loaded at 3.9 GHz on all 6 cores.  It just needs to be setup properly and it needs to be properly cooled so it is not thermal throttling.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a mobile CPU fast.  When a core has nothing to do, it will automatically enter the low power core C7 C state.  In this state, it is disconnected from the voltage rail so it is at 0 volts and it is also disconnected from the internal clock so it is running at 0 MHz.  Whatever speed the rest of the active cores on the CPU are running at is not important.  You want the active cores to run fast when they have something to do because that is the most efficient way for a CPU to get a task done.  This is why Intel invented Speed Shift technology for their modern CPUs.  It is also why Microsoft has tweaked recent versions of Windows 10 to take advantage of this technology.  Software that only reports MHz without also reporting C state activity is not a good way to judge what a modern CPU is doing internally.    

What monitoring software are you using that is showing these drops to 800 MHz?  A lot of monitoring software does not do a great job of tracking the CPU frequency of Intel processors when they are only partially loaded.  Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop, go in the Options window and turn on GPU monitoring and check the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option.  Go play some games, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file and then copy and paste the data somewhere convenient like www.pastebin.com or attach the log file here.  It will be in the ThrottleStop/Logs folder with today's date on it.

Post lots of pictures that show exactly how you have ThrottleStop setup.  Main window, FIVR window and TPL window.  If cooling is not a problem, you should be able to get your CPU running a lot better by properly setting up ThrottleStop.  

I'm busy all day , I will try to do it tonight , please standby:( i really your help :)

16 hours ago, unclewebb said:

here are the info u asked for, just want to add that now my gpu clock is also dropping when the cpu drops .

2019-05-13.txt

Screenshot (174).png

Screenshot (175).png

Screenshot (176).png

Screenshot (177).png

Screenshot (170).png

Screenshot (171).png

Screenshot (172).png

Screenshot (173).png

Captura de pantalla (164).png

Captura de pantalla (165).png

Captura de pantalla (166).png

I see a couple of problems.  When using ThrottleStop to undervolt, start by undervolting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache equally.  For the 8750H, a good place to start is -125 mV for each of those.  Your screenshot shows that you only adjusted the CPU Cache lower.  The CPU will ignore that setting so you are not accomplishing anything by only adjusting one of these.  Bob of All Trades has created some good YouTube videos that explain how to setup ThrottleStop.  Bob has found that some 8750H CPUs can also benefit from setting the CPU core offset much higher than the cache offset voltage.  I think he uses -250 mV for the CPU Core and -125 mV for the CPU Cache.  Save that adjustment until later.

Your log file shows your CPU running close to the 39 multiplier like it should be.  When it drops to 22, look in the far right column of the log file to find out the reason why.  It shows PL2.  This is also known as the short term power limit.  In ThrottleStop you have this set to 56 Watts but something is overriding this setting.  When you see the multiplier drop down to 8, now you will see PL1 showing up in the far right column of the log file.  This is the long term turbo power limit which in ThrottleStop you have set to 45 Watts.  

Intel CPUs use duplicate sets of power limits.  Many laptops use the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver.  This driver allows individual manufacturers to adjust the power limits on the fly.  Acer gets a gold star for stupidity because of how they programmed this driver.  It is randomly killing your laptop performance.  If it was my laptop, I would put it back in the box and tell Acer that they can have it.  

If you are forced to keep your laptop, there are two things that you can try to do.  Do a Google search for removing the DPTF driver.  Some people have had success doing this but you have to trick Windows to make sure that Windows Update does not re-install it over and over again.

Instead of removing the driver, I would try adjusting ThrottleStop so your CPU can ignore what this driver is trying to do.  In the FIVR window on the right hand side there is an option called Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits.  This option was specifically created so once enabled, the secondary power limits are locked which should prevent the DPTF driver from changing them.  To use this option, click on the Install button and download the RwDrv.zip file from Mega. 

RwDrv.zip

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

Unzip and copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop directory.  Reopen the FIVR window and then check off the Disable and Lock option.  Bob explains this in one of his tweaking videos.

After you do this, open up the TPL window and for Turbo Boost Long Power Max, clear the Clamp option.  It is a throttling method that is really not needed.

Windows is using Speed Shift to control your CPU speed.  When Speed Shift is enabled, ThrottleStop will show SST in green on the main screen.  This is not a problem but it means that you should not check the Set Multiplier option.  This was the old school method for controlling CPU speed.  It is not used when Speed Shift is enabled.

Make sure Disable Turbo is not checked.  It is possible that Acer is randomly toggling this option within the CPU to control the maximum CPU speed.  If you did this, do not do it!  Other manufacturers are not doing this so this might be part of the DPTF driver.  Time to do some more testing to see if any progress has been made.        

Check the Log File option and go play some games.  Don't be afraid to create a large log file.  Too much information is better than not enough.  Hopefully this simple tweak is enough to get your 8750H working as Intel intended, not as some bone head at Acer intended.  Some manufacturers do not have a clue.  A CPU locked to 800 MHz instead of its rated 3900 MHz is a huge and unnecessary hit to performance.

17 hours ago, unclewebb said:

I see a couple of problems.  When using ThrottleStop to undervolt, start by undervolting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache equally.  For the 8750H, a good place to start is -125 mV for each of those.  Your screenshot shows that you only adjusted the CPU Cache lower.  The CPU will ignore that setting so you are not accomplishing anything by only adjusting one of these.  Bob of All Trades has created some good YouTube videos that explain how to setup ThrottleStop.  Bob has found that some 8750H CPUs can also benefit from setting the CPU core offset much higher than the cache offset voltage.  I think he uses -250 mV for the CPU Core and -125 mV for the CPU Cache.  Save that adjustment until later.

Your log file shows your CPU running close to the 39 multiplier like it should be.  When it drops to 22, look in the far right column of the log file to find out the reason why.  It shows PL2.  This is also known as the short term power limit.  In ThrottleStop you have this set to 56 Watts but something is overriding this setting.  When you see the multiplier drop down to 8, now you will see PL1 showing up in the far right column of the log file.  This is the long term turbo power limit which in ThrottleStop you have set to 45 Watts.  

Intel CPUs use duplicate sets of power limits.  Many laptops use the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver.  This driver allows individual manufacturers to adjust the power limits on the fly.  Acer gets a gold star for stupidity because of how they programmed this driver.  It is randomly killing your laptop performance.  If it was my laptop, I would put it back in the box and tell Acer that they can have it.  

If you are forced to keep your laptop, there are two things that you can try to do.  Do a Google search for removing the DPTF driver.  Some people have had success doing this but you have to trick Windows to make sure that Windows Update does not re-install it over and over again.

Instead of removing the driver, I would try adjusting ThrottleStop so your CPU can ignore what this driver is trying to do.  In the FIVR window on the right hand side there is an option called Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits.  This option was specifically created so once enabled, the secondary power limits are locked which should prevent the DPTF driver from changing them.  To use this option, click on the Install button and download the RwDrv.zip file from Mega. 

RwDrv.zip

https://mega.nz/#!CNNA0SoC!Z2Xi2icwX4d4jzW016dKnKGhVglWmSSPpgiRU7VCG6g

Unzip and copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop directory.  Reopen the FIVR window and then check off the Disable and Lock option.  Bob explains this in one of his tweaking videos.

After you do this, open up the TPL window and for Turbo Boost Long Power Max, clear the Clamp option.  It is a throttling method that is really not needed.

Windows is using Speed Shift to control your CPU speed.  When Speed Shift is enabled, ThrottleStop will show SST in green on the main screen.  This is not a problem but it means that you should not check the Set Multiplier option.  This was the old school method for controlling CPU speed.  It is not used when Speed Shift is enabled.

Make sure Disable Turbo is not checked.  It is possible that Acer is randomly toggling this option within the CPU to control the maximum CPU speed.  If you did this, do not do it!  Other manufacturers are not doing this so this might be part of the DPTF driver.  Time to do some more testing to see if any progress has been made.        

Check the Log File option and go play some games.  Don't be afraid to create a large log file.  Too much information is better than not enough.  Hopefully this simple tweak is enough to get your 8750H working as Intel intended, not as some bone head at Acer intended.  Some manufacturers do not have a clue.  A CPU locked to 800 MHz instead of its rated 3900 MHz is a huge and unnecessary hit to performance.

New update: I decided to switch the ram slots  and a windows 10 fresh install, installed the latest drivers and everything seems normal , I'm getting steady performance , did like an hour of benchmarking and it's running all good , I just want some tips on undervolting my CPU so I doesn't reach the 90C-95 while still maintaining a good clock/performance 

A Windows 10 fresh install was a great idea.  Some of the manufacturer specific throttling schemes are not included when you download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft.  Too many people with new laptops avoid doing this.  

For the 8750H, if you are still using ThrottleStop, setting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache to an undervolt of -125mV is usually a good place to start.  If you are still running too hot, you can also adjust the FIVR - Turbo Ratio Limits a little lower.  Maybe set them all to 39 or 36.  A little less maximum speed will barely be noticed when gaming but can drop 10°C off of your core temps.  It is easy enough to set up 2 different profiles in ThrottleStop, one for gaming and keep one for maximum CPU speed.  You can also set up a keyboard shortcut to easily switch between your profiles.

Can you post another log file with the Add Limit Reasons to Log File checked?  It would be interesting to see the difference compared to before.  Watching for any unusual throttling reasons in the far right column is a good way to keep an eye on things as well as watching for a steady multiplier without any crazy drop outs to 22 or 8.