Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LauriHimself

Dumb Question regarding ssd "m key" & "b key"

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

sorry if it's sort of a dumb question....

 

when i buy a m.2 ssd with a m and b key connector (so 2 "cutouts") i can install it in a "m key" m.2 port on my motherboard and it will work fine?

 

i feel so dumb right now ^^

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just check the if the motherboard supports either SATA or PCIE M.2 SSD's, or just one or the other.

Some motherboards have a slot that only supports PCIE, some only support SATA, some both in a particular slot.


"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I would just check the if the motherboard supports either SATA or PCIE M.2 SSD's, or just one or the other.

Some motherboards have a slot that only supports PCIE, some only support SATA, some both in a particular slot.

ty for the fast reply

 

jup

1x sata + pcie (which i will need)

1x pcie only

 

so that the ssd has both cutouts for m and b does not matter? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LauriHimself said:

ty for the fast reply

 

jup

1x sata + pcie (which i will need)

1x pcie only

 

so that the ssd has both cutouts for m and b does not matter? 

The keys are the physical standard and from what I have seen, PCIE SSD's have the M-key and SATA drives have the B&M key. 

Those keys are only the physical standard, but the interface also matters. So if you have a SATA SSD (which I assume you have, because B&M key), it will fit in the SATA+PCIE slot of the motherboard.

The other M.2 slot is only fit for the PCIE interface.

 

A B&M key M.2 SSD has less pins than an M key M.2 SSD, so it's not like the SATA M.2 SSD is missing anything.


"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Minibois said:

The keys are the physical standard and from what I have seen, PCIE SSD's have the M-key and SATA drives have the B&M key. 

Those keys are only the physical standard, but the interface also matters. So if you have a SATA SSD (which I assume you have, because B&M key), it will fit in the SATA+PCIE slot of the motherboard.

The other M.2 slot is only fit for the PCIE interface.

 

A B&M key M.2 SSD has less pins than an M key M.2 SSD, so it's not like the SATA M.2 SSD is missing anything.

perfekt! exaktly the information i was looking for! thanks so much again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×