Dumb Question regarding ssd "m key" & "b key"

LauriHimself

sorry if it's sort of a dumb question....

when i buy a m.2 ssd with a m and b key connector (so 2 "cutouts") i can install it in a "m key" m.2 port on my motherboard and it will work fine?

i feel so dumb right now ^^

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

I would just check the if the motherboard supports either SATA or PCIE M.2 SSD's, or just one or the other.

Some motherboards have a slot that only supports PCIE, some only support SATA, some both in a particular slot.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I would just check the if the motherboard supports either SATA or PCIE M.2 SSD's, or just one or the other.

Some motherboards have a slot that only supports PCIE, some only support SATA, some both in a particular slot.

ty for the fast reply

jup

1x sata + pcie (which i will need)

1x pcie only

so that the ssd has both cutouts for m and b does not matter? 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

Just now, LauriHimself said:

ty for the fast reply

jup

1x sata + pcie (which i will need)

1x pcie only

so that the ssd has both cutouts for m and b does not matter? 

The keys are the physical standard and from what I have seen, PCIE SSD's have the M-key and SATA drives have the B&M key. 

Those keys are only the physical standard, but the interface also matters. So if you have a SATA SSD (which I assume you have, because B&M key), it will fit in the SATA+PCIE slot of the motherboard.

The other M.2 slot is only fit for the PCIE interface.

A B&M key M.2 SSD has less pins than an M key M.2 SSD, so it's not like the SATA M.2 SSD is missing anything.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

The keys are the physical standard and from what I have seen, PCIE SSD's have the M-key and SATA drives have the B&M key. 

Those keys are only the physical standard, but the interface also matters. So if you have a SATA SSD (which I assume you have, because B&M key), it will fit in the SATA+PCIE slot of the motherboard.

The other M.2 slot is only fit for the PCIE interface.

A B&M key M.2 SSD has less pins than an M key M.2 SSD, so it's not like the SATA M.2 SSD is missing anything.

perfekt! exaktly the information i was looking for! thanks so much again!