Intake vs Exhaust Air Solutions

DummyHeadGamer

I recently built a PC using the NZXT Source 220. The stock fans, a 120 and 140mm fan in the case, come positioned by default in exhaust at the back/top corner of the case. I was looking at buying an additional fan to put at the front of the case to use as an intake, to bring cool air to my graphic's card. If I get an additional 120mm fan for the front as an intake, should I keep the other 2 as exhaust?

AMD FX-6300 @ Stock, MSI 970a-G46 Motherboard, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600Mhz, HIS Radeon Hd 7870 Ghz Edition @ 1100/1350, WD Caviar Blue 1tb, Corsair CX600, NZXT Source 220, and a Benq 21.5 Inch Monitor.

Another thing is, If I got another 140mm fan could I remove the 120mm fan from the back and move it to the front as an intake and put an additional 140mm fan on the top to compensate for the other exhaust fan lost?

AMD FX-6300 @ Stock, MSI 970a-G46 Motherboard, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600Mhz, HIS Radeon Hd 7870 Ghz Edition @ 1100/1350, WD Caviar Blue 1tb, Corsair CX600, NZXT Source 220, and a Benq 21.5 Inch Monitor.

You could move the fans wherever you'd want. Whichever works best for you may take a bit of testing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Air intake and exhaust is highly debatable. There isn't really a "best" as every case is different as well as people opinions. You can move the fans anywhere and any direction you please, just move them around and see how they perform :) My hafx half one intake on the front, 2 exhaust on the top, one exhaust in the rear and one intake on the side. The idea is to pull cool air in then exhaust the air out and as it passes over your components it cools them. The two exhaust on my case on top are to pull the cool air in the lower of the case up then have the rear fan pull the heat out. The side fan is to cool my GPU (s).

It really just depends on what you want, all intakes = more dust, all exhaust = potentially more heat.  

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

One other thought. More fans does not necessarily mean better air flow.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I think you should put as many front intakes as you can fit to that case. For exhaust one fan on top or back is enough.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv