Blue or red switches?

AndreiArgeanu

Hi, I wish to soon buy a mechanical keyboard and I need some advice of wether to get red or blue switches. I did have a feel of the keyboards and all and I personally like blue switches for their tacticile feedback and the sound, but looking at the first topic on this "Mechanical keyboard club" it says that they are not ideal for gaming but good for typing and the reds are linear and membrane like. Now I only have a choice of red or blue due to availability and budget and as I've mentioned before I did have a feel for both kind of keyboards and preffered the blue ones but obviously can't get a feel for long gaming sessions so I need your opinion on this. In your opinion are blue switches suitable for gaming? And do you think red would be a better switch? 

9 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Hi, I wish to soon buy a mechanical keyboard and I need some advice of wether to get red or blue switches. I did have a feel of the keyboards and all and I personally like blue switches for their tacticile feedback and the sound, but looking at the first topic on this "Mechanical keyboard club" it says that they are not ideal for gaming but good for typing and the reds are linear and membrane like. Now I only have a choice of red or blue due to availability and budget and as I've mentioned before I did have a feel for both kind of keyboards and preffered the blue ones but obviously can't get a feel for long gaming sessions so I need your opinion on this. In your opinion are blue switches suitable for gaming? And do you think red would be a better switch? 

I use reds, blues, browns, and a massive variety of other switches made for mechanical keyboards. I personally prefer the Blues over the reds for gaming/typing if I had to chose between the 2 switches. Reds I found to light and I was pressing keys I normally rest my fingers on and didn't mean to hit. 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I am using blue switches and don't regret my decision.

This is largely an opinion based post, and people above and below me may totally disagree, as will articles that make claims about usecases.

You may consider investing in a test kit, like this one from ebay.

You could then try out both the red and blue switches and make your choice based on that.

Hope this helped!

Between the two I'd take the Reds, since the clicky switches just annoy me after some point.

But I actually recommend the Speed Silvers over both, not because of the faster activation distance but the general feeling of the switches.

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

I normally use MX blues for gaming and theyre absolutely fine. I dont understand the reasoning behind them being bad for gaming, except the sound might distract you, but then you can always use headphones

14 minutes ago, looking for a keyboard said:

I normally use MX blues for gaming and theyre absolutely fine. I dont understand the reasoning behind them being bad for gaming, except the sound might distract you, but then you can always use headphones

Hysteresis. Can apparently be an issue if you need to repeatedly press a key. 

:)

I have a Corsair K95 which uses MX Red, I love the responsiveness of it and the short travel to activation distance of the keys.

I personally use Cherry MX Reds because they're pretty light and it doesn't take much effort to press them. I primarily use my Corsair Strafe, but I also have a 2010 Razer Blackwidow stored away beside my computer, so I have access to a Cherry MX Blue keyboard as well. I mainly use my computer late at night so I try not to disturb my family, and with the Corsair Strafe, because of how light the keys are, they still bottom out. With the Blackwidow, the clicking sound of the Cherry MX Blues really don't help me out.

So if you prefer a bit of a quieter keyboard, Cherry MX Reds, and if you like the click and the feel of Cherry MX Blues and your family doesn't mind too much, I'd say go for those.

If you can go to a computer hardware store, there are usually mechanical switch testers that allow you to test them out, only then will you find your preference. If you like the feel of Cherry MX Blues but you don't like the sound, may I recommend you Cherry MX Browns?

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Been using MX Blues for years now, I naturally hit the keys quite firmly so the higher actuation force isn't a factor for me. The clicky sound and tactile feedback is nice to have, and when I'm typing quickly makes me sound busy ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L