Strange noise coming from laptop

Boomax7299

Hello,

I have an ASUS laptop that will be 4 years old in December. It has 6 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, an Intel I5-5200U, and no dedicated graphics. I've never done anything too crazy with it, light games on low settings. For the last few days, it has been making an odd sound that I can only describe as a bit of a chirp or scrape. It sounds like it may be coming from the hard drive, but I'm not sure. It's almost like scraping a piece of metal on glass, and it lasts for less than a second and occurs randomly, sometimes it's 2 hours between times it happens, and sometimes it happens every 10 minutes. I can't identify anything specific that causes it, as it's happened when I'm sitting across the room and not touching it, too. I'm running a diagnostic harddrive software now, I'll post an update when that's done.

Yeah make a backup relatively soon. If its the hard drive, Theres no saying when it will die.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

I don't have a lot of financial flexibility to backup right now, so I'll back up the things that are a priority, like my photos and other important documents, until I can get ahold of a better backup solution.