Coil Whine or Something Else

My PSU is making a strange rhythmic humming but it is fairly low pitched and I have no idea what it is.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G7xsefhc-Q 

Edit: Forgot to mention the model, its an EVGA 750GQ 80+ Gold

Edited by liamgriffin1
Forgot relevant information

6 minutes ago, liamgriffin1 said:

My PSU is making a strange rhythmic humming but it is fairly low pitched and I have no idea what it is.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G7xsefhc-Q 

If you believe that your PSU is louder than it should be there are a few things you should check before assuming that the PSU is faulty. First, you should be aware of what can cause the noise that you are hearing. If you are hearing a buzz or electrical type sound, then it’s likely due to a capacitor somewhere in your system that is vibrating at a frequency which is clashing with the rest of the components in the system. Usually this capacitor is either on the PSU, motherboard, or graphics card and you should be able to try a few things to narrow down the issue.

I have seen that the CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause the PSU to emit the noise. Try disabling these features to see if there is any improvement. ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) are few examples of power saving settings, but your motherboard manufacturer should be able to tell you specifically which features your board supports.

If the previous steps have not eliminated the sound, then you may want to test the PSU in a different system just to be sure that the sound follows the PSU.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

Although I still think that's coil whine, I've never heard it oscillate back and forth like that before, so I can't confirm.

If you feel uncomfortable with it, you can always attempt to return it.

Does the pitch change as power draw fluctuates? Have you tried the system without a GPU installed? (Just booting up, not actually running anything).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

6 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

If you believe that your PSU is louder than it should be there are a few things you should check before assuming that the PSU is faulty. First, you should be aware of what can cause the noise that you are hearing. If you are hearing a buzz or electrical type sound, then it’s likely due to a capacitor somewhere in your system that is vibrating at a frequency which is clashing with the rest of the components in the system. Usually this capacitor is either on the PSU, motherboard, or graphics card and you should be able to try a few things to narrow down the issue.

I have seen that the CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause the PSU to emit the noise. Try disabling these features to see if there is any improvement. ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) are few examples of power saving settings, but your motherboard manufacturer should be able to tell you specifically which features your board supports.

If the previous steps have not eliminated the sound, then you may want to test the PSU in a different system just to be sure that the sound follows the PSU.

Thanks for the advice! I went into BIOS and the only feature I could find was ERP and it was already off :(

6 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Although I still think that's coil whine, I've never heard it oscillate back and forth like that before, so I can't confirm.

If you feel uncomfortable with it, you can always attempt to return it.

Does the pitch change as power draw fluctuates? Have you tried the system without a GPU installed? (Just booting up, not actually running anything).

The pitch doesn't change, however sometimes the noise will just stop. I have not tried without a GPU, I will give that a go.

Ok, so the system is running without the GPU and the noise is still there but you can only hear it if you take the side panel off and stick your head in the case right above the power supply.

15 minutes ago, liamgriffin1 said:

Ok, so the system is running without the GPU and the noise is still there but you can only hear it if you take the side panel off and stick your head in the case right above the power supply.

I would RMA or return the PSU. 

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

20 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

I would RMA or return the PSU. 

Do you think its likely to die? Or RMA based on the noise?

4 minutes ago, liamgriffin1 said:

Do you think its likely to die? Or RMA based on the noise?

I wouldn't say it likely to die but if it doesn't sound normal usually not a good sign. I would take care of it before it becomes a bigger problem then it needs to be.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

I wouldn't say it likely to die but if it doesn't sound normal usually not a good sign. I would take care of it before it becomes a bigger problem then it needs to be.

Ok thanks, It concerns me because it doesn't sound how coil whine is usually described; and I don't want it to die and take the whole PC down with it. However the noise I can live with.

12 minutes ago, liamgriffin1 said:

Ok thanks, It concerns me because it doesn't sound how coil whine is usually described; and I don't want it to die and take the whole PC down with it. However the noise I can live with.

Well I submitted the RMA request so I guess we'll find out if they will replace it. It is the second PSU that's been in the system and I bought it in late September 2018