Computer crashes and reboots

Sheepler

My computer crashes and reboots almost randomly while I am using it, I've noticed it most while playing games but it has happened when nothing is going on. When checking the system logs, it gives me a generic kernel power error. There doesn't seem to be a definite trigger

What I've tried:

I've monitored heat for GPU & CPU - heat does not seem to be the problem as my CPU or GPU doesn't get hot

Tested RAM - RAM tests came back and also no issue (Using Windows Memory Diagnostic)

Switched outlets in my house - didn't fix anything

Virus Scans - no viruses

Updated all drivers - now currently all up to date

Tested Hard drive and SSD - No problems shown

Specs:

CPU: 
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: 
ASUSMAXMUS VIII HERO 1151 ATX
Memory: 
CRUCIAL 16GB 2X8 D4 2400 SPLT CL1
Storage: 
1. SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD <-- OS on here
2. SEAGATE 7,200 750GB
Video Card: 
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0
Power Supply: 
EVGA 650P2 ATX PSU
Monitor: 
ASUS MG248QR (Main)
ASUS VG248QE
OSMS: 
OEM Windows 10 home 64-bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been plagued with this problem for months and I have no idea what to do.

Any sort of power issue points me to an unstable PSU or some sort of power delivery error. This could mean:

Unstable overclock

Dying motherboard

Dying PSU.

I assume the latter-most, personally.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Is the computer bluescreening or just restarting and then throwing the error?

I'd get a program I use called Blue Screen Viewer and see if you can open up the most recent minidump file (located off of system32) to see if there's a specific reason why the computer is crashing according to the crash logs. This will give you very different activity info versus system log. Sometimes updated drivers are bad, occasionally companies will ship out a bad driver that causes problems so it could be a new driver you got before this started happening.

One thing you might check is the settings on your antivirus. This sounds eerily similar to an issue my brother had recently. His Antivirus software was overriding everything and restarting the computer every time it decided to automatically remove any perceived threats.

Another thing I would do is a full registry and temp file clean using ccleaner. You never know, it could be something as simple as a bad registry key causing this.

Last resort is reinstalling windows and maybe even looking at some hardware replacement if it comes to that.

4 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Any sort of power issue points me to an unstable PSU or some sort of power delivery error. This could mean:

Unstable overclock

Dying motherboard

Dying PSU.

Agree, all of these are also worth looking at.

You should be able to get a power supply tester (either hardware or software) that should show how the power delivery looks on your system. The numbers won't come out exact but you should get numbers in the range. Example 11.8v on the 12v rail.

A kernel power error can also happen just from a system crash that caused the system to turn off, not necessarily tied to the PSU. I think it is worth investigating though.

3 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

Is the computer bluescreening or just restarting and then throwing the error?

I'd get a program I use called Blue Screen Viewer and see if you can open up the most recent minidump file (located off of system32) to see if there's a specific reason why the computer is crashing according to the crash logs. This will give you very different activity info versus system log. Sometimes updated drivers are bad, occasionally companies will ship out a bad driver that causes problems so it could be a new driver you got before this started happening.

One thing you might check is the settings on your antivirus. This sounds eerily similar to an issue my brother had recently. His Antivirus software was overriding everything and restarting the computer every time it decided to automatically remove any perceived threats.

Another thing I would do is a full registry and temp file clean using ccleaner. You never know, it could be something as simple as a bad registry key causing this.

Last resort is reinstalling windows and maybe even looking at some hardware replacement if it comes to that.

Computer just shuts down, no blue screen. Almost as if someone yanked out the cord.

I will look into blue screen viewer

I also though the antivirus, I have Norton but Norton doesn't shut your computer down, it just runs in the back.

I did do this a while back with no luck

I hope its not hardware, but I might have to test it with a new PSU or something.

7 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Unstable overclock

Dying motherboard

Dying PSU.

I don't think its my overclock as ASUS has their own tool that finds the most you can overclock your CPU, don't remember what it was called. Also the computer is only about 3 years old, is it possible to die in that short of time?

Just now, Sheepler said:

I don't think its my overclock as ASUS has their own tool that finds the most you can overclock your CPU, don't remember what it was called. Also the computer is only about 3 years old, is it possible to die in that short of time?

Overclocking will generally shorten the life of your components but I wouldn't think it would shorten it down to 3 years. What you could try is removing the overclock and seeing if that improves stability.

I prefer to run stock speeds myself but I know I'm in the minority there among geeks.

If it is a hardware issue I would think it's likely an issue with the PSU. Good part to go bad as it's relatively cheap compared to most other components.

Just now, dDave64 said:

Overclocking will shorten the life of your components a bit but I wouldn't think it would shorten it down to 3 years. What you could try is removing the overclock and seeing if that improves stability.

I prefer to run stock speeds myself but I know I'm in the minority there among geeks.

If it is a hardware issue I would think it's likely an issue with the PSU. Good part to go bad as it's relatively cheap compared to most other components.

3 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

If it is overclocked, remove the OC it always the first troubleshooting step.

Will do. The only problem is, is that the crashing doesn't seem to be consistent with anything, so just because it doesn't crash when playing a game doesn't mean it's fixed. I will still try it though.

45 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

Overclocking will generally shorten the life of your components but I wouldn't think it would shorten it down to 3 years. What you could try is removing the overclock and seeing if that improves stability.

Overclock was removed and the problem still persists.

Is it possible that it is a software issue? Does anyone know how to figure that out?

Update: I've pulled out my graphic card and the problems have stopped. I'm pretty sure it is the graphic card (which doesn't make me happy) so I will most likely be submitting and RMA request.