Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to set up virtual desktops for remotes users but every time I even try to create a VHD/VDI I get an error saying VDI not enabled, google was no help at all. How do I enable VDI? Will and ISO of windows 10 enterprise work for a templet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 4/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

What system are you using it on?

 

Are you on a domain?

 

Does the remote desktop rds sessions work?

 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, Acedia said:

Are you sure you want an VDI deployment and not terminal server services? That's a huge difference and VDIs are a lot more work.

I've not been able to get anything to work. I am able to use RD. I'm using windows server 16 on a desktop MOBO that's a gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3. I do have my own domain going. Where I work we used to be able to login using RD to our own accounts, I'd like to be able to that with my server.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jdavis said:

 

I've not been able to get anything to work. I am able to use RD. I'm using windows server 16 on a desktop MOBO that's a gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3. I do have my own domain going. Where I work we used to be able to login using RD to our own accounts, I'd like to be able to that with my server.

screen shot of the remote desktop services status page? What all services are setup?

Is everything connected to the domain?

Does the web portal work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

sorry for the time gap, been pretty busy. I'm using the standard RD setting, I just put in the server's address, my user, and PW.

what is everything connecting to the domain mean? Having the computers but sat to the server's domain? I don't really want to computers to be forced to connect to the server. At where I work I could login from any computer using RD and get onto my own personal desktop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jdavis said:

sorry for the time gap, been pretty busy. I'm using the standard RD setting, I just put in the server's address, my user, and PW.

what is everything connecting to the domain mean? Having the computers but sat to the server's domain? I don't really want to computers to be forced to connect to the server. At where I work I could login from any computer using RD and get onto my own personal desktop.

I think there might be a mix up with what's been used. To clarify you were able to login to the computers using your domain username and password and all your files and settings were present? You didn't have to do anything else like connect to a server using RDP? If that's the case then that ins't VDI or RDS etc, that's called Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection.

 

If you were connecting to a server using Remote Desktop (RDP/RDS) that's not actually VDI either. That's just standard Remote Desktop Session Host.

 

What do you actually need to achieve, what application will the remote users being using etc. Without knowing those sorts of requirements there isn't a way to say what would best fit, RDS or VDI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 4/14/2019 at 11:50 PM, leadeater said:

I think there might be a mix up with what's been used. To clarify you were able to login to the computers using your domain username and password and all your files and settings were present? You didn't have to do anything else like connect to a server using RDP? If that's the case then that ins't VDI or RDS etc, that's called Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection.

 

If you were connecting to a server using Remote Desktop (RDP/RDS) that's not actually VDI either. That's just standard Remote Desktop Session Host.

 

What do you actually need to achieve, what application will the remote users being using etc. Without knowing those sorts of requirements there isn't a way to say what would best fit, RDS or VDI.

I was able to set up another user by using the user panel in the control panel, but even when sat as a standard user they still see everything, maybe group permissions?

is a terminal domain login different then a RD connection?

I'll look up the roaming profiles and fold redirection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 7:15 PM, Jdavis said:

I was able to set up another user by using the user panel in the control panel, but even when sat as a standard user they still see everything, maybe group permissions?

is a terminal domain login different then a RD connection?

I'll look up the roaming profiles and fold redirection.

Of course the user can still see everything. You can't do proper policies on a local PC. Roaming profiles, folder redirection and policies all depend on Active Directory, which requires you to, surprise surprise, have an active directory domain on a Windows server and the PCs joined to it.


PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×