Overclocking AMD Ryzen 2 2700?

1 hour ago, _Grid21 said:

About 58 *C when running Cinebench R15, but when I am streaming and gaming, it's about 55 to 57 give or take.

Alright, that is much lower than it should be at full load. So something is definately wrong with your system - either with the mainboard(settings) or the CPU itself. Overall your efforts and this thread should not be about overclocking but about troubleshooting, cause your CPU should at least initially reach its advertised Turbo Speed and maybe throttle down later if the CPU happens to reach it's TJMAX (maximum temperature before the CPU throttles itself).

Edit: Also you might have read the wrong temperature sensor - make sure to read the Temps of the CPU sensor and NOT the Mainboard sensor. The latter usually shows much lower temps and is not much to go by.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

4 hours ago, Hans Power said:

Alright, that is much lower than it should be at full load. So something is definately wrong with your system - either with the mainboard(settings) or the CPU itself. Overall your efforts and this thread should not be about overclocking but about troubleshooting, cause your CPU should at least initially reach its advertised Turbo Speed and maybe throttle down later if the CPU happens to reach it's TJMAX (maximum temperature before the CPU throttles itself).

Edit: Also you might have read the wrong temperature sensor - make sure to read the Temps of the CPU sensor and NOT the Mainboard sensor. The latter usually shows much lower temps and is not much to go by.

Honestly, I didn't notice it wasn't, nor do I know how to fix it, I just updated my Bios and not think about it. Also here is the temp read outs. Granted my CPU wasn't under load when I took this screenshot.

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_9.png

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, _Grid21 said:

Honestly, I didn't notice it wasn't, nor do I know how to fix it, I just updated my Bios and not think about it. Also here is the temp read outs. Granted my CPU wasn't under load when I took this screenshot.

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_9.png

Well, overclocking means that you go faster than what is advertised - not being able to reach the advertised clockspeeds. And consumer CPUs always have a so called base clock (for basic workloads) and a boost or turbo clock (when the system is under high stress) and you should be able to reach your turbo clock out of the box without any modifications. Unfortunately I can't really help much beyond explaining the basics since I don't own Ryzen myself. I heard that Ryzen+ CPUs (you have Ryzen+, not Ryzen 2, btw) are rather temperature sensitive - same as the Mainboard VRMs (Voltage regulator). If any of those run too hot, the system might start to throttle itself.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

2 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

Well, overclocking means that you go faster than what is advertised - not being able to reach the advertised clockspeeds. And consumer CPUs always have a so called base clock (for basic workloads) and a boost or turbo clock (when the system is under high stress) and you should be able to reach your turbo clock out of the box without any modifications. Unfortunately I can't really help much beyond explaining the basics since I don't own Ryzen myself. I heard that Ryzen+ CPUs (you have Ryzen+, not Ryzen 2, btw) are rather temperature sensitive - same as the Mainboard VRMs (Voltage regulator). If any of those run too hot, the system might start to throttle itself.

So what am I suppose to do? Is there something I need to fix in my bios? Or is this normal?

Also, why is it called Ryzen 2, which is what I thought, instead of Ryzen 7 2700? Because apparently, that's what CPU-Z is showing me. :P Did I buy the wrong thing to begin with? 

Screenshot_4.png

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Just now, _Grid21 said:

So what am I suppose to do? Is there something I need to fix in my bios? Or is this normal?

I dunno - as I said - I don't own Ryzen myself. I'd honestly create a new thread and this time ask the right questions which is essentially a more detailed version of: "Is this running as it should and if not, how can I fix it" or something like that and give the information you collected so far. It's very hard for people to help if your question is based on the wrong premise - your questions about overclocking completely threw me off at first. And, btw, your R7 2700 is Ryzen+, not Ryzen 2.

1 minute ago, Hans Power said:

I dunno - as I said - I don't own Ryzen myself. I'd honestly create a new thread and this time ask the right questions which is essentially a more detailed version of: "Is this running as it should and if not, how can I fix it" or something like that and give the information you collected so far. It's very hard for people to help if your question is based on the wrong premise - your questions about overclocking completely threw me off at first. And, btw, your R7 2700 is Ryzen+, not Ryzen 2.

To be fair, originally, I wanted to try OC-ing my CPU, but now as this post has gone on, now I can see the direction. So I didn't mispost, in fact, you lead me to another side I wasn't expecting to reach which is great and now you have sent me on a new quest of learning. So really, Thank you. And now I am going to start again.

• 4 months later...

OMG, this thread taught me the same. I just bought a Ryzen 2700 with a Asus B450-F. I shouldve gone with MSI Tomahawk but all other components are aurasync which lead me to this board. The first thin I tried was updating the drivers and attempted OCing but to no success. Even the ram won't reach 3000mhz as I chose DOCP. My CPU is also just as 3.3 something max with stress test R20 at 50ish temp.

@_Grid21 did you found a way in regards with the CPU being max only at 3.3 without any bios modifications?

3 hours ago, ehyjehy said:

OMG, this thread taught me the same. I just bought a Ryzen 2700 with a Asus B450-F. I shouldve gone with MSI Tomahawk but all other components are aurasync which lead me to this board. The first thin I tried was updating the drivers and attempted OCing but to no success. Even the ram won't reach 3000mhz as I chose DOCP. My CPU is also just as 3.3 something max with stress test R20 at 50ish temp.

3 hours ago, ehyjehy said:

@_Grid21 did you found a way in regards with the CPU being max only at 3.3 without any bios modifications?

So it turns out, discovered one night when I was streaming, that the 4.1Ghz boost, only happens on single thread tasks, not multi-task processes. And it also doesn't work well overclocking manually.