Is it worth upgrading my router?

DefenderDC100

I live in the UK and have been using a BT Home Hub 5 (Modem & router combo) for atleast 6 years now. I recently tried to utilise it's USB port to connect a flash drive to act as a network storage device, but ran into a problem. Windows doesn't support SMBv1 anymore due to security issues, and this router doesn't support SMBv2/3.

What is the best solution to this? Is it just worth uprgading my router, given that a newer one will also have better speeds & coverage as well as improved security?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :D

5 hours ago, DefenderDC100 said:

I live in the UK and have been using a BT Home Hub 5 (Modem & router combo) for atleast 6 years now. I recently tried to utilise it's USB port to connect a flash drive to act as a network storage device, but ran into a problem. Windows doesn't support SMBv1 anymore due to security issues, and this router doesn't support SMBv2/3.

What is the best solution to this? Is it just worth uprgading my router, given that a newer one will also have better speeds & coverage as well as improved security?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :D

If you need better coverage, speed and security I would say yes. USB ports on routers from my reading in to it, can be hit or miss. Ive personally never used the USB ports on any router I have had, because of issues you describe. To me if you want network storage, id look at something Ethernet based. 

My biggest concern with a 6 year old router is if they still do firmware updates. Last year WPA2 was cracked. So if that hasnt been patched, Id be concerned. Its actually the main reason I upgraded to a better router myself. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Seems like many companies are ditching the USB flash drive "network storage" due to security concerns. IMO good riddance to it. An off the shelf consumer router USB port isn't going to come close to the performance of even the cheapest NAS out there. Unless you're experiencing performance issues on your internet connection, I would say put your money toward a NAS instead. It will be more secure and way more versatile.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If you need better coverage, speed and security I would say yes. USB ports on routers from my reading in to it, can be hit or miss. Ive personally never used the USB ports on any router I have had, because of issues you describe. To me if you want network storage, id look at something Ethernet based. 

My biggest concern with a 6 year old router is if they still do firmware updates. Last year WPA2 was cracked. So if that hasnt been patched, Id be concerned. Its actually the main reason I upgraded to a better router myself. 

Yeah this is what I'm thinking now, especially as I've since found out that the firmware on the router hasn't updated since April 2018, and there is no way to manually update it :/