Any way to set up Windows 10 VPN without a client?

husseinHr
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,

What do you want the VPN for?

Hosting one yourself is only so you can connect to your home network from anywhere on the Internet.

If you are wanting one so you get a more secure connection TO the Internet, then using a third-party server/service is the only option and you WOULD need a client as Windows AFAIK doesn't support secure VPN protocols.

A good paid third-party service shouldn't be much slower than your normal connection.

I can't find anything on Google. Maybe you guys know something? I'd love it if I could set up a VPN from within W10 instead of using a client/app (the free ones I know are slow), but not sure if that's possible. Is it? And if so, how can I do that?

Current build 20 Dec 2018: Ryzen 5 2600X, EVGA RTX 2070 Black Edition, 16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 500GB 970 Evo NVME M.2 SSD, Gigabyte Aorus B450 M mATX Mobo, Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV mATX Silver case, EVGA 650G3 PSU, BenQ GW2765 27" QHD IPS 100% sRGB, Logitech G403 Mouse, Corsair K65 LUX RGB + Logitech K780 Keyboards, Creative A250 2.1 Speakers, SteelSeries Arctis 3 Bluetooth Headset.

on windows 10, just go to network, vpn, add a vpn connection.

you would need to know the server address for the von along with log in info. in general, vpn providers will not let you use this. you can make your own vpn and then use this. 

free vpn's are never fast. use nordvpn if you are willing to pay like $4/month for fast and unlimited bandwith. 

Sounds like I still need to get a VPN to do that. Am I being stupid? I have no clue how to set up my own VPN, if that's even possible - is it?

Current build 20 Dec 2018: Ryzen 5 2600X, EVGA RTX 2070 Black Edition, 16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 500GB 970 Evo NVME M.2 SSD, Gigabyte Aorus B450 M mATX Mobo, Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV mATX Silver case, EVGA 650G3 PSU, BenQ GW2765 27" QHD IPS 100% sRGB, Logitech G403 Mouse, Corsair K65 LUX RGB + Logitech K780 Keyboards, Creative A250 2.1 Speakers, SteelSeries Arctis 3 Bluetooth Headset.

What do you want the VPN for?

Hosting one yourself is only so you can connect to your home network from anywhere on the Internet.

If you are wanting one so you get a more secure connection TO the Internet, then using a third-party server/service is the only option and you WOULD need a client as Windows AFAIK doesn't support secure VPN protocols.

A good paid third-party service shouldn't be much slower than your normal connection.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7