no ipv4 address was found for the dns name entered

SinanFantie

i have DNS installend on my windows server 2016 machine. i tired to add a conditional forwarder but i failed.

these are the setps i took:

i right clicked to add a new one

in DNS domain name i put "bilgeadam.com"

and in the boxlist under it i put "ns1.bilgeadamdns.com"

(i got this info from whois.domaintools.com)

when i press enter i get e red X on left of it and under validating it says "no ipv4 address was found for the dns name entered"

can someone help me with this problem

It means the DNS Server can't resolve ns1.bilgeadamdns.com.

Does the DNS server work at all currently?

IIRC there is also a bug where it shows the error message until you click in the first line to add another.

Try another DNS server, find one in your region with a low ping and use it.. Sometimes devices like it if you have a backup DNS server try having one that has a backup server as well like 64.6.64.6, 64.6.65.6 (Just examples). You may find you have faster internet speed if you try this.

8 hours ago, UnidentifiedGold said:

Try another DNS server, find one in your region with a low ping and use it.. Sometimes devices like it if you have a backup DNS server try having one that has a backup server as well like 64.6.64.6, 64.6.65.6 (Just examples). You may find you have faster internet speed if you try this.

He is trying to use a conditional forwarder in his DNS server so DNS Requests for a certain domain get redirected to a certain server....

So you're trying to add an external DNS source as your recursive?

I believe you might need to open UDP port 53 on your firewall - some ISP's don't allow that to be open on consumer connections either because of DNS amplification attacks. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

14 hours ago, Acedia said:

He is trying to use a conditional forwarder in his DNS server so DNS Requests for a certain domain get redirected to a certain server....

Oh alrighty

when you type a DNS name into that box all it does is go and look it up and then put the IP in the box.  just go and type in whatever the IP for ns1.biggiles.com is and itll work fine.

think of this as a chicken and egg scanario. you cant look up a record you havent yet configured the resolver for

• 1 month later...