S10 Plus screen resolution

mkU1tra762

I just got a Galaxt s10 plus and I was wondering if anyone had any insight about which screen resolution I should choose. I knw since the S8 came out there are three settings. HD, Full HD, and QHD. I can kind of see a difference between full HD and QHD but I wanted to knw if anyone can see a performance/battery life difference between the two in every day use. So far this phone is amazing. I've had all three Pixel phones before this and had an S7 edge that I liked the hardware but not the software on. The pixels have always had some performance issues due to lack of RAM or bad hardware decisions made by google. I liked them a lot and usually prefer stock android. However, I can't believe I'm saying this but Samsung's One UI is near perfect! Interested to see if anyone has a preference between the two screen resolutions and any thought on the phone if you have one. Cheers!

CPU i7 8700K ( 5 GHz) RAM G Skill Trident Z 32 GB (3200 MHz) GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370 E Gaming Cooling NZXT Kraken x62 R2 PSU EVGA SuperNova 650 W 80+ Platinum Storage 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA Display Dell QHD 144Hz 27'' Case NZXT H500 Black Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse Logitech G900 Operating System Windows 10 Pro

The higher resolution, the more you're battery life will suffer as the GPU now has to render more pixels rather than just upscale. FullHD is all I would recommend. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I would recommend QHD. That's the resolution you paid for, and i think it's plain stupid for Samsung, to set it to FHD as a Standard.

I had this feature on my S7 Edge, and i noticed pretty much zero Difference in battery Life. It was so low, that i probably would have had to make tests in order to see any difference.

It was however difficult to see the difference.

If you CAN see the difference, set it to QHD and enjoy the best Display on the market - or at least one of the best.

It is true, that a lower resolution will lead to lower battery consumption, however this only changes how much the GPU has to render.

the Display itself will consume the exact same amount of Power, because there will still be ALL subpixels in use. I mean, even if you could use a 2x4 resolution, and just see 8 big blocks of Color on the screen... GPU would have to render only 8 Pixels, but every single Subpixel will still be on.

That's the reason, setting the Display resolution to FHD will lead to almost no noticeable battery savings. The main battery drainer, the Display, will not consume less. Only the GPU has to work slightly less, which makes too low of a difference.

A different thing if the Display itself would be a FHD / 1080p Screen, because then there will be lower Subpixels that turn on.

How about a little test? Use a few days / battery charges with FHD, and a few with QHD, and see the difference in battery life for yourself, and let us know ^^