(BEST CHEAP MIC) Newer NW 7000 (With mic test)

CharminUltraStrong

This is a quick overview of the Newer NW 7000 USB microphone. It's a cardiod pick up pattern mic with decent isolation. This isn't a dynamic cardiod so the mic can really only pick up sounds from one direction, that being the front of the mic. The body is all metal, with a standard male screw base for mic mounts. There are XLR versions of this microphone that could probably perform better and would serve as a better upgrade platform, so what's the catch? The catch is XLR to 3.5mm cables are bull shit, they don't carry proper data/power and you'd need a phantom powersupply/interface to PROPERLY connect your XLR mic to your computer, otherwise it will sound like underpowered garbage. This is where the NW 7000 USB comes in, if you've got good headphones already and don't want to invest in a shitty, overpriced headset then invest in the NW 7000. This mic, as a 3 in 1 kit with a boom arm, wind sock, pop filter, a USB cable AND a shock mount included will run you a mere 42.99$ to 41.99$ depending on the day you purchase it. Here is a link to the listing on Amazon. 

Mic test

NewerNW7000.wav

Below are the wave forms for you to view as you listen along to the mic test linked above. (Note there was no post processing or editing of the audio, everything was recorded directly from the mic into audacity as this is representative of how the mic will sound when you're in-game, unless it's Apex Legends then you're mic will always sound like something out of a happy meal.)

image.thumb.png.67d9ae775243e613b9d9b7a443d26c4c.png

image.thumb.png.736306877e84345416c92b42b8fb9d8a.png

image.thumb.png.b844dfdd8c5ec4f297512004dee18017.pngimage.thumb.png.66df887ec31b39bfe8b39a9eb6266286.png

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

With sock and filter sounds pretty ok. Though that arm looks janky as fuuuu.

PS: If anyone is interested - look at the "used" section. Has $23 offers from amazonwarehouse.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

38 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

PS: If anyone is interested - look at the "used" section. Has $23 offers from amazonwarehouse.

Actually the arm is quite robust and works great, I've had no issues with it as of yet.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

Actually the arm is quite robust and works great, I've had no issues with it as of yet.

That's the thing with those arms. They work good for a while but what separates the men from the boys is that good ones continue working for years.

Though the mic itself is very light  compared to an actual serious microphone so that may not stress the arm... mmm

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

I have the NW-700 (XLR) running through a Steinberg UR12 USB audio interface. It does pick up some keyboard noise in the background. Can block almost all keyboard noise through noise gates in OBS so it's not really an issue, though it is annoying if I use Nvidia ShadowPlay to record. (Please Nvidia! Give us more/better audio settings in Shadowplay!)

The cheap bundles you get on Amazon for the Neewer mics are pretty decent value, with the Mic, shock mount, wind sock, pop filter, boom arm, and XLR cables all for under $40. If you're starting out and just want a mic for twitch or something it's not bad, but once you consider the cost of the audio interface it's not really worth it and there's cheaper USB mics. I guess the USB version with the NW 7000 would be better value in this regard.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, FIXXX said:

Boom arm is fine for what it is, and considering the price of the bundle you can't complain. For a more professional/studio environment you would want something else though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

-snip-

Yes I would've preferred an XLR interface but considering I'm strictly using it for gaming and not streaming I didn't see a reason to pay a bit more for XLR. Good on you for getting the XLR version, are you a streamer? If so, what's your Twitch handle? :D

The Louvre

On 3/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, FIXXX said:

That's the thing with those arms. They work good for a while but what separates the men from the boys is that good ones continue working for years.

Though the mic itself is very light  compared to an actual serious microphone so that may not stress the arm... mmm

I have my doubts that it will ever wear out, everything from the bracket to the arm itself is made of metal with joints that can all be hand tightened for rigidity. 

The Louvre