Operation Ballbuster

PurplDrank

The reason I am naming this pc and it’s build ball buster is because my real life friends have busted my balls about building an AMD pc. They are all about that Intel life. Hence ball buster.

Firstly, I did about 2 months of research regarding motherboards. I discovered that the B450 tomahawk is the best value all rounder due to its sturdiness and ability to hold up well with a 2700x. My local store has sold out of these mother boards twice. I actually had to go online and get it, even then there were two online stores that were sold out of the tomahawk as well. I now see why. 

My case I chose the fractal design meshify C. Based on research I found the cable management to be nice. There is a back panel where you can hide all the cables. For me this was important due to my last build being a wired mess. Plus the case looks cool and comes with two fans. The front, bottom and top grills can be pulled off for easy cleaning.

2070 vs 2060. I will be gaming at 1080p for a few weeks until I get a 1440p monitor. The extra $150 I would be spending on the 2070 didn’t seem worth for 2-5 extra FPS. I found the 2060 to be more worth my whole. I purchased the zotac rtx 2060.

Originally I was going to go with the 2600x cpu instead of the 2700x. However recently my local micro center put the 2700x on sale so I decided to grab that and I am more than satisfied with the 2700x.

ISSUES: the meshify C has very good cable management with a back chamber where you can hide the cables. It even has little latches in the metal where you can zip tie wires too. However, it is a bit of a tight fit so for those looking to do something similar but add more to your build there is the bigger meshify case I believe it is called the meshify s2?

This is my second build and I know this will fit my needs to games like siege, escape from Tarkov, hunt showdown, apex legends and some free to play titles.

My first build was close to 10 years ago now and I specially built that pc for battlefield 3. Overall I found this experience to be pretty straight forward and Ive taken more care in cable management this time around. 

Note: I am one of those people that bought a windows 10 key and installed windows 10 creation tool and used the free windows 10 version. When I tried to activate the key it said another pc was using it. I called Microsoft expecting some horrible customer service and surprisingly he helped me activate windows in about 5 minutes. I was very surprised about the professionalism Microsoft customer service has provided. Comcast and AT&T customer service could really learn a thing or two. 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dhwBnH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dhwBnH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($284.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.31 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1111.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-10 12:17 EDT-0400

9865211B-A848-4905-8F96-8BCB173669E4.jpeg

93BF2D2D-408C-40AA-8CD5-F23CDBC997AF.jpeg

3 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

ball buster is because my real life friends have busted my balls about building an AMD pc. They are all about that Intel life. Hence ball buster.

Glad to see you didn't buckle to peer pressure.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I was dead set on using a 9900k but after doing a bunch of research the difference in performance compared to price made the 2700x and easy choice for me and judging by the info being leaked about the next gen ryzen stuff, even if I wanted more performance it looks like I can get that in spades this spring. Im super happy with my AMD build

14 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I was dead set on using a 9900k but after doing a bunch of research the difference in performance compared to price made the 2700x and easy choice for me and judging by the info being leaked about the next gen ryzen stuff, even if I wanted more performance it looks like I can get that in spades this spring. Im super happy with my AMD build

Same here I may upgrade in a year or two to the 3rd gen ryzen 

12 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

Same here I may upgrade in a year or two to the 3rd gen ryzen 

Im SAYING that now but its also entirely possible I buy one day one and just sell the 2700x, I have a hard time staying away from the "latest and greatest" in some areas

12 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Im SAYING that now but its also entirely possible I buy one day one and just sell the 2700x, I have a hard time staying away from the "latest and greatest" in some areas

We’ll see the specs  haven’t released yet. Technically I could go five years without making any upgrades to my pc