Gaming headphones.$400-450 price point?

danielhowk

Currently im using Sennheiser HD599, with TEAC A-HO1 USB DAC Amplifier with motherboard Gigabtye z390 master for mostly Gaming

planning to upgrade my headphones to about $400 - 500 price point

was looking at either Sennheiser HD 650 or the Sennheiser HD660s 

are they any better headphones for gaming / music at the same price point? if not which of the sennheiser i should go for? 

thanks!

Well, they USED to be this price, but the Hifiman 400i may be interesting. The thing about gaming is that nice wide soundstage, and according to Rtings and my own experience the 400i nails it (especially dollar for dollar since they're like under $200 now). Since they are planar magnetic at least it would be a bit of a larger leap than going from the 599 to the 650. The other one on their site is actually the HD700, which I had never used or heard mentioned often. Discontinued now, but can apparently be found on Amazon for $500. Anyway, according to Rtings they score very high on both soundstage and comfort, my two primary items for gaming headphones.

You can't go wrong with the 650 and I assume the 660s (never used them personally) either, but I figured I'd toss those two ideas your way for research.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

On 3/4/2019 at 2:13 PM, danielhowk said:

Currently im using Sennheiser HD599, with TEAC A-HO1 USB DAC Amplifier with motherboard Gigabtye z390 master for mostly Gaming

planning to upgrade my headphones to about $400 - 500 price point

was looking at either Sennheiser HD 650 or the Sennheiser HD660s 

are they any better headphones for gaming / music at the same price point? if not which of the sennheiser i should go for? 

thanks!

if you are considering the 650 grab a massdrop 6XX as it's literally the same headphone just built a wee bit cheaper. And a lot of audiophile claim that the massdrop 58x is literally a retuned 660 for $150 which many have easily modded to get a very similar sound for no money as the 660. Other great options are Fidelio X2s or akg k712s (great soundstage very good treble almost earpiercing but essential for hearing footsteps  or dt880s. also I would not recommend the 650/6xx for gaming as it doesn't have the best imaging or soundstage out of your choices. also if you are considering the he 400i avoid it they have a tendency to break. dont trust me? look it up a ton of people have broken their cans.  and instead grab the 4xx by massdrop basically the same headphone just better construction and a tad more bass. I know I recommended massdrop a ton but they are all that good. sennheiser basically shot themselves on the foot by colabbing with massdrop