Alternate method of using an external display with Asus GM501

Ayame2846

Hey guys/girls,

I have an Asus Zephyrus M (GM501, 1070 model), I bought a 27" 144hz monitor to use with it, Is there a way to turn off the laptop display while the lid is open (due to the cooling "flap" only being open when the lid is open) I've tried the usual "show on 2nd display only" but the laptop is reaching 98/99c on both cpu and gpu  when it has usually only hovered around 80/85 under load. I was wondering if there was a way of completely disabling the built in display completely when the lid is open and using an external monitor or am I destined to have to just remove the flap to give adequate cooling when closed? 

6 minutes ago, Ayame2846 said:

Hey guys/girls,

I have an Asus Zephyrus M (GM501, 1070 model), I bought a 27" 144hz monitor to use with it, Is there a way to turn off the laptop display while the lid is open (due to the cooling "flap" only being open when the lid is open) I've tried the usual "show on 2nd display only" but the laptop is reaching 98/99c on both cpu and gpu  when it has usually only hovered around 80/85 under load. I was wondering if there was a way of completely disabling the built in display completely when the lid is open and using an external monitor or am I destined to have to just remove the flap to give adequate cooling when closed? 

maybe just remove the flap while its closed so your cooling is good

20 minutes ago, Ayame2846 said:

Hey guys/girls,

Try FN+F6 when the screen is open. Or another FN combo that looks like a screen thingy.
Goodluck.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

12 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Try FN+F6 when the screen is open. Or another FN combo that looks like a screen thingy.
Goodluck.

The FN+F6 only seems to blacken it for screensaving purposes I suppose, FN+F9 (the other combo) only gives the "display mode" options. 

28 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

maybe just remove the flap while its closed so your cooling is good

This is what I'm doing as of now, its only 4 screws but still a little inconvenient. 

Well i would try (re)installing the display drivers, because all i know of notebooks and their graphic cards is that they (at least somewhat) turn of their built in screens if you choose external display only.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 6:46 PM, Ayame2846 said:

Hey guys/girls,

This works for me on my G73Sw (do keep in mind that I use Windows 7 Ultimate on this notebook and not Windows 10):

I use my external 24" for gaming and movies, because the 17" internal just doesn't do it for me when I am home. So I go to display options and set my external monitor as my main display. This moves the whole setup to the external monitor, and I can fn+F7 to shut down the internal screen.

However, do remember to change the internal screen back to your main display before shutting down - it can be awkward to take your computer somewhere with you and realise VLC is still projecting to your external, which is still at home.

I hope this helps.

PS: You say the cooling flap needs the screen to be open? Wow. I love to sometimes switch off my G73's screen and close the lid while listening to music or watching movies.

PPS: Just checked some photos of the GM501. Pretty book, but I see what you mean with the cooling.