Budget PSU recommendations / is this psu adequate?

Get Booda

I have several spare parts and I am aiming to build a computer out of them to sell at some profit. It needs a power supply, and I would like it to be fairly cheap as I have got all the other parts cheaply. The highest end config this system would see is a GTX 1070 / VEGA 56, likely only a 1050ti. The best deal I've seen is $40 for a gray label CX750m refurbished from corsair with warranty sold on amazon. Would this be adequate to power this build, and if not what is the cheapest power supply you think is?

EDIT: CPU is an i5 6600 non K

Id recommend seeing how much power the system will actually need. (I think PC part picker has a wattage calculator)

Also are you planning on any kind of overclock?

See if you can drop to a 550W or 600W PSU, You can get these pretty cheap. Especially if you drop to a 500W and dont mind ketchup and mustard.

Get a 500watt psu. Even a 450 would do for that config. Everything from a reputable brand will do. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Get a 500watt psu. Even a 450 would do for that config. Everything from a reputable brand will do. 

2 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Id recommend seeing how much power the system will actually need. (I think PC part picker has a wattage calculator)

Also are you planning on any kind of overclock?

See if you can drop to a 550W or 600W PSU, You can get these pretty cheap. Especially if you drop to a 500W and dont mind ketchup and mustard.

This seems to be cheaper than any other half-reputable unit at only $40. No overclock, I'm pretty much going for max price to performance and then selling this on to get rid of a few parts and make some money

cx 2017 550w amazon $50

tbh you should probably bump the wattage up to overkill like 750w+ because most consumers who know goose eggs about PSUs will be attracted to higher numbers

20 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

See if you can drop to a 550W or 600W PSU, You can get these pretty cheap

20 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Get a 500watt psu. Even a 450 would do for that config. Everything from a reputable brand will do

11 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

tbh you should probably bump the wattage up to overkill like 750w+ because most consumers who know goose eggs about PSUs will be attracted to higher numbers

What's important in a power supply isn't the wattage. Nor is it brand.

550W is more than enough for OP's system. Anything higher than that is irrelavent; discard wattage as long as it's enough.

Every brand sells low end power supplies. Even the reputable ones. So choosing by brand or by cheapest will end in trouble.

What matters most in a power supply is it's quality; how long the PSU will last, how clean are it's output voltages, and what protections it has against irregularities. Efficiency, noise, modularity and size may also be important to OP.

These aspects can be found at professional reviews, such as this Corsair CX750M review at TomsHardware

The Corsair CX750M isn't very good. It would only last a few years with the sleeve bearing fan it uses. It has low hold up, which may be problematic if brownouts are common to you. Electrical performance could be better.

It also uses a double forward design, which may lead to coil whine when using high-end graphics cards.

If in the US, I suggest the Corsair TX550M for $55 after MiR. You may also find an EVGA G3 for cheap after MiR, which is a tad better than the TXM.

Even the Corsair CX550 (non-modular) would be better than the CX750M.

32 minutes ago, Get Booda said:

I have several spare parts and I am aiming to build a computer out of them to sell at some profit. It needs a power supply, and I would like it to be fairly cheap as I have got all the other parts cheaply. The highest end config this system would see is a GTX 1070 / VEGA 56, likely only a 1050ti. The best deal I've seen is $40 for a gray label CX750m refurbished from corsair with warranty sold on amazon. Would this be adequate to power this build, and if not what is the cheapest power supply you think is?

EDIT: CPU is an i5 6600 non K

If you're not planning on overclocking you can drop to a 600 or 550, I would strongly go against buying refurbished PSU's since they can take the entire system down with them.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

9 minutes ago, Rexper said:

What's important in a power supply isn't the wattage. Nor is it brand.

550W is more than enough for OP's system. Anything higher than that is irrelavent; discard wattage as long as it's enough.

Every brand sells low end power supplies. Even the reputable ones. So choosing by brand or by cheapest will end in trouble.

What matters most in a power supply is it's quality; how long the PSU will last, how clean are it's output voltages, and what protections it has against irregularities. Efficiency, noise, modularity and size may also be important to OP.

These aspects can be found at professional reviews, such as this Corsair CX750M review at TomsHardware

The Corsair CX750M isn't very good. It would only last a few years with the sleeve bearing fan it uses. It has low hold up, which may be problematic if brownouts are common to you. Electrical performance could be better.

It also uses a double forward design, which may lead to coil whine when using high-end graphics cards.

If in the US, I suggest the Corsair TX550M for $55 after MiR. You may also find an EVGA G3 for cheap after MiR, which is a tad better than the TXM.

Even the Corsair CX550 (non-modular) would be better than the CX750M.

Yes, I agree. If this PC really mattered to me, I would be going for a nicer offering from seasonic or something else A tier. I also agree 550 watts is more than enough. The thing is this PC will be sold on pretty much instantly to some random person, so long term reliability is not the hugest concern, but I will consider the options you listed.

38 minutes ago, Get Booda said:

The thing is this PC will be sold on pretty much instantly to some random person, so long term reliability is not the hugest concern, but I will consider the options you listed.

So how do you know they will ugprade to a Vega56?

Put a PSU that is suitable for its current needs in it, rather than trying to guess what whoever might buy it might want to later on do with it. If whoever buys it wants to upgrade the GPU then they can decide whether or not a new PSU is needed. Stick a CX450 in it Can get it for $20 after rebate. CX550 if you're feeling generous.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

So how do you know they will ugprade to a Vega56?

Put a PSU that is suitable for its current needs in it, rather than trying to guess what whoever might buy it might want to later on do with it. If whoever buys it wants to upgrade the GPU then they can decide whether or not a new PSU is needed. Stick a CX450 in it Can get it for $20 after rebate. CX550 if you're feeling generous.

Currently it doesn't have a GPU, I'm assembling this as a spare parts build. The GPU situation depends on if I can find 2 well priced GPUs as I am doing another build with similar specs at the same time. If i can, it will receive one, if I can't it will receive the 1050ti that is in the other system right now. Basically, my plan is to put a vega 56/1070/1060/580 in it and sell it as a gaming bundle as I have spare monitors and gaming peripherals as well.