Temps worse after delidding

So I decided to delid my 8700k. I used the delid die mate 2 and used thermal grizzly thermal paste and my temps are now worse then they were before. I thought I used too much paste the first time so I redid it with less and it was actually slightly worse then the first time. Am I doing something wrong here? It's not like there is a hot spot Or one core is hotter then the rest so I'm kind of stumped here. Testing with Aida64. I also did not remove the black silicon adhesive off the die so maybe it's raising up the IHS and making the temps worse then they should be?

It is always a risk delidding a CPU, and I would never suggest it unless you could afford to ruin one. 

With this said, I suggest reading and trying again with this article

-Llama 

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

Did you replace the old paste....with more paste?

Or did you replace with liquid metal?

Did you remove the black adhesive? Half the temperature gains are from bringing the IHS closer to the die. If you don't remove the glue, the distance remains the same.

Liquid metal + remove old glue = bring IHS closer to die with LM = profit

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Ok so I think I may know the issue. I think it may be a combo of not removing the silicon adhesive and still using too much thermal paste. I'm out of paste so I'll have to order more and try again. I didn't think not removing the adhesive would be that much of an issues since I'd seen other people do it with success but that was also with liquid metal.

2 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Did you replace the old paste....with more paste?

Or did you replace with liquid metal?

Did you remove the black adhesive? Half the temperature gains are from bringing the IHS closer to the die. If you don't remove the glue, the distance remains the same.

Liquid metal + remove old glue = bring IHS closer to die with LM = profit

No I removed the old stuff haha. I'm thankfully not that dumb. I chose paste because I still saw people have gains by just replacing the paste with better paste

i mean when you already risked it with removing the ihs, why not use liquid metal

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

7 minutes ago, Mr. Brovahkiin said:

No I removed the old stuff haha. I'm thankfully not that dumb

I used the rockit88 kit. After I popped the top off, I removed all the black glue on both the PCB and the IHS, cleaned off the die, and taped off the PCB. Then I applied the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal. After, I put the chip into the socket, then applied 4 dots of silicon on the corners of the IHS, put the IHS on, then clamped it down. Applied regular thermal paste then cooler afterwards.

Dropped 15c at load, no joke. It was like a miracle.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Ok so I tried it 1 more time, trying to get as little paste on the die as possible, scraping the adhesive off, and using scotch tape to make sure the paste didn't get anywhere else and at the very least I'm back to my original temps, maybe slightly better. I'll order more paste and liquid metal and try that and just stop being a pussy about it haha. Think were all good here for now thank you for the help guys