Why are you on Floatplane?

The_1ted

Think about it for a moment - Why are you on Floatplane?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you on Floatplane?

• Supporting LTT
    • Supporting other Creators
    • Supporting Floatplane as a platform
    • Not on Floatplane

I'll sign up to floatplane when they charge a SMALL fee , and we can then get access to all the creators on the platform . Unless that happens unfortunately iam out .  

To be honest floatplane as a platform absolutely sucks. It's lacking so much functionality and it just looks terrible as a website. The only thing good about floatplane is the video streaming quality and even that is not too different from youtube anway. If subbing to LTT on floatplane didn't give money to LTT I don't think I would sub on floatplane.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

21 hours ago, Colb said:

I'll sign up to floatplane when they charge a SMALL fee , and we can then get access to all the creators on the platform . Unless that happens unfortunately iam out .  

This right here 100 percent! or a small fee for like 10 chennels, and more if you want another 10 subs. That would be waaaayyyy better, might get alot more kids school money then, still not mine tho, You'll never get me to pay for something that I have to wait a week for is all. Most dont even notice or care about waiting a week anymore.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:13 AM, Colb said:

The creators set their fee. I can't remember but I think FP's cut is a set amount per sub but I could be wrong here and it might be a percentage or set rate+percentage

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

On 2/22/2019 at 5:19 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

On until my year runs out. If LMG doesn't up their game, I will leave my support out. They have had their chances, but handling latest crisis and lack of community managing and keeping community up of what is going on with platform has been very lacking in past few years.

I ask this in a completely curious and non-confrontational way. You have been active and supporting LTT since 2013 (the 'garage' days) and your opinion and thoughts are important to me.

If you were in the position of Linus or Luke, taking the lead in either Linus Media Group or Floatplane Media, what positive changes would you make?

On 2/24/2019 at 1:13 AM, Colb said:

19 hours ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

To be honest floatplane as a platform absolutely sucks. It's lacking so much functionality and it just looks terrible as a website. The only thing good about floatplane is the video streaming quality and even that is not too different from youtube anway. If subbing to LTT on floatplane didn't give money to LTT I don't think I would sub on floatplane.

12 hours ago, LordMustangGT said:

This right here 100 percent! or a small fee for like 10 chennels, and more if you want another 10 subs. That would be waaaayyyy better, might get alot more kids school money then, still not mine tho, You'll never get me to pay for something that I have to wait a week for is all. Most dont even notice or care about waiting a week anymore.

Well, I guess you support your favorites another ways then. As this is just like subbing on Twitch, or donating, or becoming Patreon. Its single payment per creators you like. If you use Youtube Red or Twitch Prime, then I kinda understand, but creators get rather small cut from those compared to direct support. Also, FP isn't after kids money. Not like Fortnite and many Twitch streamers.

The bolded part is what I don't understand at all. "Pay for something you have to wait a week for"? What does that even mean?

6 hours ago, jmack said:

I ask this in a completely curious and non-confrontational way. You have been active and supporting LTT since 2013 (the 'garage' days) and your opinion and thoughts are important to me.

If you were in the position of Linus or Luke, taking the lead in either Linus Media Group or Floatplane Media, what positive changes would you make?

I have few ongoing suggestions. Like getting someone who would work as producer for LMG videos. Meaning that their job is to quality control everything company pumps out. View every video before its released to iron out any issues and be as watchful eye for any leaks etc. Also monitor WAN show audio etc. (while show has been good for past month). LMG is starting to be at the point where they can't sign off things as being just small company without resources to check their every video. If Linus has 10 people writing stuff, another 10 recording and editing, why not have 1 making sure quality is what viewers expect? In truth, I've lost hope with Linus that he would have even single brain cell thinking what viewers will see. Nick Light has been voice of reason occasionally... But when they showed black cables on black cloth, thats when I lost all hope on them.

Concerning the handling of most recent thing:

I strongly feel that LMG needs to up their public relations. Either by getting person to do it. Or by adjusting current positions to allow something better. Currently we get sometimes post on forums, sometimes "apology" video. But nothing in Twitter or FB. Or short post that would show at front page of forums. Like this latest could have been mainly avoided by better communications to viewers and media colleagues. Problem here might be that Linus doesn't have education on how to run business (nor does Luke, which I will come when talking about FP). They have missed the part where every little thing needs to be addressed to keep public in peace. I mean for the most part, only thing they needed to do was:

IMPORTANT!!! We have received messages that Youtube's Content ID bot is flagging videos on behalf of Fullscreen/LinusTechTips. THIS IS NOT US. Its automated system. Please dispute them, we will try to resolve this ASAP. If you want to discuss this in professional manner, please DM us or send us email (address can be found on Youtube channels About page or at Linusmediagroup.com).

Or something similar. Overall they need to make communication to audience better. Just looking at what gets threads to forums. Those things are the ones that should be communicated, by LMG's official social media accounts, as well as addressed on forums. Videos being late, WAN Archive's being late, scam emails, NDA lifting soon, something else brewing by other creators etc.

---

On FP side I'm willing to give some more leash. Since its alpha and all. But the main problem is same as with LMG. Luke doesn't have education on business, and thus their communication to outside is lacking, probably even worse than LMGs considering they are dealing with paying customers. Now, I don't know if they already have dedicated person for support or if its still handled by several people. But what I've read, quality of that support is very inconsistent. My support request got handled in 2 days. But then I read that emails go unanswered for weeks on weeks. That unacceptable for service someone is paying for. The person(s) handling support should also keep an eye for forums threads which usually get to question about why support isn't working. There are two which get maybe post per day, so thats not going to take up so much of work day.

FP is kinda icky with communications on so many other ways. Luke promised to do Developer update blog post soon. That was year ago. To keep up on whats going on with platform my money is helping to build, I need to watch every WAN Show and maybe Luke's stream too. Since those are only places where any updates are posted on. Nothing on forums. Nothing on FB/Twitter (they don't even have Twitter??). What I, and several others, would like, is something to tell us what is going on. What bugs have recently been fixed. What features have been added. Whats next on the list, what will be added eventually etc. This could be monthly or bi-monthly update.

Considering FP will be moving out of forums soon, having some sort of communication about bugs, issues and whats going on will be needed. Forums would be natural place for it. Either subforum or few threads under suitable subforum. Something that FPs employees will read and respond to when needed.

----

I don't really care about so many things. But user experience of site, and the way company/creator communicates to their peers are the most important things. And those are the things I will give critique on. While at the same time, and many times in past, defending business decisions of LMG.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well, ....

You bring up some really valid points. I think that improved communication and transparency across the board would make a huge difference. FloatPlane has massive potential to be more than just a place to watch videos 'a week (sometimes) early' and I have no doubt that it will get there. 

That being said, the end user doesn't know if these awesome features are coming to Floatplane in a month or a year. I 100% think that if a user is on the wall about renewing, he would most likely continue with FP if he knew when a specific feature would be released.

I really think that having a public roadmap, allowing Floatplane members to vote on features, give feedback, etc... would make a huge difference. An awesome tool that facilitates this is Canny https://canny.io/

I personally would love more dedicated FP content. Maybe a weekly, laid back, live stream show thats not just about news. Maybe interview members of the FP team, talk about development, what are the challenges that are being faced. 

As for FP support. I can't tell you how much I appreciate companies that have a live chat feature. I think it could be implemented. 

As for LMG, I think we sometimes are quick to judge. It's hard work to pump out the amount of content that they do. Nearly 4500 videos on YouTube, managing a growing company, dealing with frustrating manufacturers, endless embargos, contracts, NDA's, YouTube drama nonsense, etc... Things can improve, but I honestly don't care if there are minor quality issues in some of the content, I enjoy knowing that nearly every day, there is something fresh to watch.

18 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well, I guess you support your favorites another ways then. As this is just like subbing on Twitch, or donating, or becoming Patreon. Its single payment per creators you like. If you use Youtube Red or Twitch Prime, then I kinda understand, but creators get rather small cut from those compared to direct support. Also, FP isn't after kids money. Not like Fortnite and many Twitch streamers.

The bolded part is what I don't understand at all. "Pay for something you have to wait a week for"? What does that even mean?

I worded that A little weird there, but what I meant to say is, most will wait a week for a video, no be deal. If it was a dollar a month, I'd think you'd be killing it right now, but 3 bucks a channel... is that what it still is?? Drugs people, drugs.       

FYI, Im super sarcastic.