8700k 1080Ti build advice

Soag

Funny thing is, now that I look at the prices again, that if I'd go with Intel I could add a bit of buck and take 9900k over 9700k but in case of AMD that's a big no-no as 3700x even outperforms 3900x in gaming at times and price gap is way too huge (twice what's between 9700k and 9900k).

36 minutes ago, Soag said:

Funny thing is, now that I look at the prices again, that if I'd go with Intel I could add a bit of buck and take 9900k over 9700k but in case of AMD that's a big no-no as 3700x even outperforms 3900x in gaming at times and price gap is way too huge (twice what's between 9700k and 9900k).

The price is hard to justify though with the 9900K if you are purely gaming. The 3700X saves you around $170 just on the cpu alone.

As you are gaming at 1440p/165Hz the performance difference won't be as big as it would at 1080p.

Another option would be to go with a 2600/3600 and then upgrade to a Ryzen 4xxx 8c/12c next year. That way you could get a decent X570 board now (Gigabyte X570 Gaming X for example) that would handle a 12 core next year if need be.

28 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The 3700X saves you around $170 just on the cpu alone.

Yeah, but then the MOBO price comes to the equation again. Equation I seem not to be able to solve on my own atm.

Perf difference is not that high, that's true, but personally it's enough to make me lean to 9700k in place of 3700x. Funny thing is I can't tell what's the deal with 3800x...

32 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Another option would be to go with a 2600/3600 and then upgrade to a Ryzen 4xxx 8c/12c next year. That way you could get a decent X570 board now (Gigabyte X570 Gaming X for example) that would handle a 12 core next year if need be. 

Not my cup of tea, I guess, since price difference between 3600 and 3700x is similar to diff between 3700x vs 9700k so it wouldn't feel wrong to me to go with the new one.

All in all, there are 2 factors that influence my decision the most.

MOBO price difference and future socket support.

Prior is an unknown factor to me and the latter seems to support the AMD idea. Any data regarding future Intel processor sockets? Will they use 1151 or will it become obsolete with new chips?

3 hours ago, Soag said:

Yeah, but then the MOBO price comes to the equation again. Equation I seem not to be able to solve on my own atm.

Perf difference is not that high, that's true, but personally it's enough to make me lean to 9700k in place of 3700x. Funny thing is I can't tell what's the deal with 3800x...

Not my cup of tea, I guess, since price difference between 3600 and 3700x is similar to diff between 3700x vs 9700k so it wouldn't feel wrong to me to go with the new one.

All in all, there are 2 factors that influence my decision the most.

MOBO price difference and future socket support.

Prior is an unknown factor to me and the latter seems to support the AMD idea. Any data regarding future Intel processor sockets? Will they use 1151 or will it become obsolete with new chips?

The motherboard price would only depend on what cpu you wanted in the future. So an 8 core 3700X would run fine on a B450 Tomahawk for example. Only reason I mentioned the more expensive Gigabyte was for a 12c/16c later down the line. Not sure how well the Tomahawk would cope with those when overclocking. 

So if you are purely comparing the 3700X to the Intel equivalent 9900K i.e Both 8c/16t then Ryzen is the cheaper option by far. Still works out cheaper even if you go with the 9700K as the 3700X is around $50 cheaper.

I honestly don't know about future support on this socket/chipset. Not even sure Intel know what they are doing at this stage, so it is hard to give a yes/no answer on that. Anything on the Internet is just rumours regarding that.

I decided I'm going with the 'good now' approach.

The rig I'll go with will most likely suffice for at least a couple years. And then I can always upgrade what's needed and use remaining parts as a base to build rig for my son who will be 12 in 3,5 years and at that time will most likely want to play something with his friends (I'm strict in these regards, so no PC for him now).

This is what I configured: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Soag/saved/dJJp8d

The thing that still gives me a lot of headache is case itself.

I'm still thinking if going AIO wouldn't be a better solution hence other cases come to mind as well.

Plus they might be cheaper and won't need as much space to fit this HUGE Dark Rock Pro 4.

I've been mostly looking at the SilverStone RL06 and Thermaltake Core V21 and X31.

Any suggestions and remarks?

To the whole thing, obviously ;).