Should a laptop power on without a battery?

retrop

I have a friends Razer Blade Stealth (2016) and it will not power on at all. No fans, no leds, nothing. I popped the back open and the battery is toast, it is expanded about 4 times its size. I took the battery out and plugged it in and still the same issue, in my previous experience the battery did not matter if it was plugged in. Is this still true? This laptop uses a type-c connector for power and the brick seems to be working fine.

Does type-c power delivery require the battery? I don't want to recommend buying a new battery if that is not going to solve the issue, they seem to be pretty pricey. 

EDIT: Took a multi-meter to the battery and it still reads 12 volts! Thoroughly confused, but the question still stands.

Edited by retrop
added information

5 minutes ago, retrop said:

I have a friends Razer Blade Stealth (2016) and it will not power on at all. No fans, no leds, nothing. I popped the back open and the battery is toast, it is expanded about 4 times its size. I took the battery out and plugged it in and still the same issue, in my previous experience the battery did not matter if it was plugged in. Is this still true? This laptop uses a type-c connector for power and the brick seems to be working fine.

Does type-c power delivery require the battery? I don't want to recommend buying a new battery if that is not going to solve the issue, they seem to be pretty pricey. 

Some HP laptops would only run the laptop if the battery was present. Reason number 8million why HP sucks.

I'd take the laptop something large, bestbuy maybe, and see if they have a known good battery you can borrow for 5 minutes and see if that is indeed the issue

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I believe you would need a battery if youre using type c power,

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd take the laptop something large, bestbuy maybe, and see if they have a known good battery you can borrow for 5 minutes and see if that is indeed the issue

this will be your best bet

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

take the laptop something large, bestbuy maybe, and see if they have a known good battery you can borrow for 5 minutes and see if that is indeed the issue

While a good idea bestbuy is pretty far away and we are sort of snowed in. If I can't figure something else out I just might have to try that.

Just now, retrop said:

While a good idea bestbuy is pretty far away and we are sort of snowed in. If I can't figure something else out I just might have to try that.

Call around 1st, some of the smaller computer repair shops might have one that is closer to you.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.