Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JonT.

Old Games New Problems :/

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just bought Unreal Tournament 99: Game of The Year Edition from steam but i can't play the game at all. When i click the play button it says ''running'' but nothing happens and after a few seconds it says ''ready to play'' again and again. My system is Acer i3 Aspire V5 laptop 8.1 Windows and 64bit system. 

How can i play this game ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

often times with old games there's tricks to make them work on modern systems, chances are if you google around, or look on steam forums, you'll find someone who figured it out for you.

 

this seems like a good place to start your read:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/discussions/0/846945955413532854/

Link to post
Share on other sites

you need to run it in compatibility mode....goto the game folder right click the ut99 exe then properties, click the compatibility tab then check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select 98 or xp or win 7....the game runs slower then newer systems

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

often times with old games there's tricks to make them work on modern systems, chances are if you google around, or look on steam forums, you'll find someone who figured it out for you.

 

this seems like a good place to start your read:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/discussions/0/846945955413532854/

i downloaded the renderer pack so now i can open the recovery mode but somehow when try to run it, it says unrealtournament.exe stopped working, now i handled one problem but i have another one :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, circeseye said:

you need to run it in compatibility mode....goto the game folder right click the ut99 exe then properties, click the compatibility tab then check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select 98 or xp or win 7....the game runs slower then newer systems

i tried this on first trying but it didn't work but somehow now i can run the recovery mode but not the game becouse it crashes :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok i just fired up ut 99 goty and to get it to load i needed to change the resolution in the ini....
then go into the game folder there and open up the file UnrealTournament.ini in a note or word pad.
scroll down to

WindowedViewportX=1920
WindowedViewportY=1080

and

FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080

you have to manually set your resolution

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JonT. said:

i downloaded the renderer pack so now i can open the recovery mode but somehow when try to run it, it says unrealtournament.exe stopped working, now i handled one problem but i have another one :/

thats why i said "a good start" ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, circeseye said:

ok i just fired up ut 99 goty and to get it to load i needed to change the resolution in the ini....
then go into the game folder there and open up the file UnrealTournament.ini in a note or word pad.
scroll down to

WindowedViewportX=1920
WindowedViewportY=1080

and

FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080

 

ok now, i downloaded opengl renderer, i downloaded .436 patch launcher, i did this tweak but still crashes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

when you first fired it up did it go through and choose what renderer to use?. because it did for me and used the d3d one. it loaded but my tv hated the res so had to go into the ini and change it. and then it played just fine

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

its possible that modern drivers don't support DX6 and 7...

no thats not it....i have a rx590 and win 10 and ut99 goty runs just fine after going into the ini and setting the res

Link to post
Share on other sites

UT '99 is a fantastic game. I have it running in Windows 7 and 10 without issue.

 

To use OpenGL you need to download an updated OpenGL dll. Maybe that's the same with the d3d9.dll file.

 

Here's a thread with some fixes: https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/discussions/0/846945579778791510/

Here's a page with renderer downloads: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×