Old Games New Problems :/

JonT.

I just bought Unreal Tournament 99: Game of The Year Edition from steam but i can't play the game at all. When i click the play button it says ''running'' but nothing happens and after a few seconds it says ''ready to play'' again and again. My system is Acer i3 Aspire V5 laptop 8.1 Windows and 64bit system. 

How can i play this game ? 

often times with old games there's tricks to make them work on modern systems, chances are if you google around, or look on steam forums, you'll find someone who figured it out for you.

this seems like a good place to start your read:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/discussions/0/846945955413532854/

you need to run it in compatibility mode....goto the game folder right click the ut99 exe then properties, click the compatibility tab then check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select 98 or xp or win 7....the game runs slower then newer systems

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

often times with old games there's tricks to make them work on modern systems, chances are if you google around, or look on steam forums, you'll find someone who figured it out for you.

this seems like a good place to start your read:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/discussions/0/846945955413532854/

i downloaded the renderer pack so now i can open the recovery mode but somehow when try to run it, it says unrealtournament.exe stopped working, now i handled one problem but i have another one :/

7 minutes ago, circeseye said:

you need to run it in compatibility mode....goto the game folder right click the ut99 exe then properties, click the compatibility tab then check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select 98 or xp or win 7....the game runs slower then newer systems

i tried this on first trying but it didn't work but somehow now i can run the recovery mode but not the game becouse it crashes :/

ok i just fired up ut 99 goty and to get it to load i needed to change the resolution in the ini....
then go into the game folder there and open up the file UnrealTournament.ini in a note or word pad.
scroll down to

WindowedViewportX=1920
WindowedViewportY=1080

and

FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080

you have to manually set your resolution

37 minutes ago, JonT. said:

i downloaded the renderer pack so now i can open the recovery mode but somehow when try to run it, it says unrealtournament.exe stopped working, now i handled one problem but i have another one :/

thats why i said "a good start" ;)

For old games, get them from GOG, they are all guaranteed to work due to them applying all patches and testing to make sure it works

13 minutes ago, circeseye said:

ok i just fired up ut 99 goty and to get it to load i needed to change the resolution in the ini....
then go into the game folder there and open up the file UnrealTournament.ini in a note or word pad.
scroll down to

WindowedViewportX=1920
WindowedViewportY=1080

and

FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080

ok now, i downloaded opengl renderer, i downloaded .436 patch launcher, i did this tweak but still crashes.

when you first fired it up did it go through and choose what renderer to use?. because it did for me and used the d3d one. it loaded but my tv hated the res so had to go into the ini and change it. and then it played just fine

its possible that modern drivers don't support DX6 and 7...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

its possible that modern drivers don't support DX6 and 7...

no thats not it....i have a rx590 and win 10 and ut99 goty runs just fine after going into the ini and setting the res

UT '99 is a fantastic game. I have it running in Windows 7 and 10 without issue.

To use OpenGL you need to download an updated OpenGL dll. Maybe that's the same with the d3d9.dll file.

Here's a thread with some fixes: https://steamcommunity.com/app/13240/discussions/0/846945579778791510/

Here's a page with renderer downloads: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987