Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juanitology

Activision-Blizzard Fires 800 staff to cut costs

“While our financial results for 2018 were the best in our history, we didn’t realize our full potential,” Kotick said in the report. 

What's wrong with corporate america in a nutshell. Biggest profits ever, but the increase this year was not new and exceptional. It's not about profiting, it's not even about increasing profits, it's about increasing profits by a larger margin year over year until you implode. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Despite Activision-Blizzard previously acting relatively independently of each other, I worry that's not the case anymore. I've got this sense that, after the success of Overwatch and the Overwatch League, Activision is expecting to see this sort of success out of Blizzard more regularly, and Blizzard themselves know this won't be possible. It's unfortunate that they've decided the easiest way to cope with drops in revenue is going to be firing all this staff.

anime sucks

A shame they didn't fire all of the WoW CMs. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

While it may very well be a necessary restructuring to their goals on track, it still seems like a such a sucky thing to do when their top earners are sitting on bags of money due to them making even more money than they've earned before.  I can imagine morale there must be pretty low.

Hopefully going forward we'll start seeing some good stuff come from Blizzard.  After the Diablo Immortal fiasco I kind of lost all hope for the company so I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully I'm wrong though.

22 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Record revenues but not infinite revenues.

Always more.

Always growth.

This is why the stock market has fucked everything. No one can infinitely grow.

But everyone just expects to growth into infinity. Every god damn company. Because making 500 million a year is not enough, next year it has to be 650 million. And next 700. And 750... somehow. What's more ironic, the leadership just expects magic to happen, but they pretty much always ignore feedback from the actual workers. They literally want a cake and eat it too. And they are too far up their rear to realize it. Instead of firing people, they should ask what they could do to improve their income. But we know how that goes. They always have unrealistic expectations and then refuse to listen to feedback. Basically every single company or corporation in existence.

11 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

While it may very well be a necessary restructuring to their goals on track, it still seems like a such a sucky thing to do when their top earners are sitting on bags of money due to them making even more money than they've earned before.  I can imagine morale there must be pretty low.

Hopefully going forward we'll start seeing some good stuff come from Blizzard.  After the Diablo Immortal fiasco I kind of lost all hope for the company so I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully I'm wrong though.

The same people who have made the decisions that lead them to believe they need to fire 800 people still have their jobs and their piles of money.

This is not about the survival of the business, it’s about making even more obscene amounts of money.

What amazes me is how some people believe that making money is a perfectly legitimate excuse for any shitty thing that gets done by large corporations.

I have no intention of giving Activision a single cent of my money ever again.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

19 hours ago, killcomic said:

The same people who have made the decisions that lead them to believe they need to fire 800 people still have their jobs and their piles of money.

This is not about the survival of the business, it’s about making even more obscene amounts of money.

What amazes me is how some people believe that making money is a perfectly legitimate excuse for any shitty thing that gets done by large corporations.

I have no intention of giving Activision a single cent of my money ever again.

Shortly after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I actually uninstalled all my modern Blizzard games and pretty much gave up on the company. 

My reaction wasn't from anger, more of a face palm reaction. I just have no faith that this company will deliver games that the fans actually want to see.

21 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Shortly after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I actually uninstalled all my modern Blizzard games and pretty much gave up on the company. 

My reaction wasn't from anger, more of a face palm reaction. I just have no faith that this company will deliver games that the fans actually want to see.

Yeah, they are soooooo out of touch. They response was simply priceless too!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

38 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Yeah, they are soooooo out of touch. They response was simply priceless too!

That's exactly it.

I actually have no issue with a mobile only game (as a sort of spin off of the series) but the fact that they were completely caught off guard after announcing a mobile only Diablo game in front of crowd of PC enthusiasts just shows that have no clue what their fans want anymore.  I'm sure D4 is in development, but I have little faith that it will anything close to the Diablo game I'm hoping for.