Very indecisive person

Tevildo

So I already know what Im getting for my pc build but I am just a very indecisive person. The CPU is where I cannot decide which to get, for me its either the i5 8600k or the amd ryzen 5 2600. I want to get the best performance I can get but saving money would also be beneficial for me. If anyones wondering heres my set up or the parts I will get this month. I want to play 144hz gaming and aint sure which CPU to choose. 

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

I wouldn't recommend 6c/6t, if you can try get an 8700K or 9700K, otherwise drop to a Ryzen 2600.

My budget for a cpu is under £300. Is the ryzen worth getting over the i5 8600k? Iv seen stats on both of them.

1 minute ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Yeah, I Agree with schwellmo92, the i5 8600k is a little bit faster than the ryzen 5 2600 but the hyperthreading is a better trade off.

I dont understand, your saying the ryzen is better going due to the hyperthreading? What will the hyperthreading help? Aint really a tech person so aint sure.

6 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

I dont understand, your saying the ryzen is better going due to the hyperthreading? What will the hyperthreading help? Aint really a tech person so aint sure.

Hyperthreading is like another set of cores, but not really at the same time. It can be useful for multitasking or some software can take advantage of the extra 6 hyperthreading. But most games these days only use 4 cores so it's not that useful for gaming. But if I had a choice between the cpus i would go with the ryzen 5 2600. Just watch some videos comparing the cpus in some games and chose which one is better for that game you want to play.

6 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Hyperthreading is like another set of cores, but not really at the same time. It can be useful for multitasking or some software can take advantage of the extra 6 hyperthreading. But most games these days only use 4 cores so it's not that useful for gaming. But if I had a choice between the cpus i would go with the ryzen 5 2600.

I would only be doing gaming on this computer, not stuff like video editing or streaming. I understand what you mean but If I wont really be using those 6 extra hyperthreading cores is it worth getting it still?

In gaming, Intel processors tend to perform better than AMD ones on high end GPU's, but on this one the difference should be minimal. I would go for the 2600 or 2600X. Now if you're planning on upgrading your GPU later, you would be better off with a 2700 but the 2600X is a very solid option (it's an overclocked 2600).

2 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

I would only be doing gaming on this computer, not stuff like video editing or streaming. I understand what you mean but If I wont really be using those 6 extra hyperthreading cores is it worth getting it still?

In pure gaming, the difference between the two shouldn't be very noticeable, but the 2600 is a lot cheaper, depending on where you live.

2 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

Just as IamAndre said, The difference is minimal u will only be getting an extra 10-15 frames in some games. Might as well go with a ryzen 5 2600 

I like your config. Everything looks ok except drives - consider to buy Patriot, Adata or Crucial cheap SSD (480-500 GB; and Patriot only because it's extremely low price) instead of 1TB HDD. It's desktop computer, so if you'll need more space in the future, you can always buy another hdd/ssd, but for now the main goal is gaming computer, so faster drive is better than bigger drive.

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Do you have a 144hz monitor? And what resolution? The RTX 2060 should push most games on high settings, 1440p and at least 80 fps (depending on the game and the overall settings)

The best CPU for price/performance is the 2600, even the 2600X if you plan on OC it later but I'd rather sell it and getting a new CPU once it's not enough

1080p resolution. The difference in price between the i5 8600k and the ryzen 2600x would be around £30 for me. 

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

I like your config. Everything looks ok except drives - consider to buy Patriot, Adata or Crucial cheap SSD (480-500 GB; and Patriot only because it's extremely low price) instead of 1TB HDD. It's desktop computer, so if you'll need more space in the future, you can always buy another hdd/ssd, but for now the main goal is gaming computer.

So should I get a bigger ssd instead of a hdd? 

6 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Just as IamAndre said, The difference is minimal u will only be getting an extra 10-15 frames in some games. Might as well go with a ryzen 5 2600 

I see what you mean

BTW. I have MSI PC Pro Z370 motherboard and it's not that bad, works good (but you should take control over voltage and set it manually). BUT - is also slow. POST is terrible and options like MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot seems to not working at all (I tested three different configurations and I have old H97 MSI motherboard where POST is really fast and MSI Fast Boot works good, so I have comparsion). Of coruse MSI support don't see any problem.

3 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

1080p resolution. The difference in price between the i5 8600k and the ryzen 2600x would be around £30 for me. 

Then 8600K all the way. The difference is around $100 in some places.

1 minute ago, Tevildo said:

So should I get a bigger ssd instead of a hdd? 

No, leave your Samsung SSD 256 GB for system and programs and buy second SSD (cheaper one) for games and other stuff.

I would strongly suggest Vega 56 instead of 2060, because you will be able to save around 60-70 pounds

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, PacketMan said:

Yeah, 1080p but how many Hz does the monitor support? You can get 60, 144 or even 1000000 fps that if your monitor is 60hz you will only see 60 fps

144hz, its a benq tn 144hz monitor 

1 minute ago, Quadriplegic said:

I would strongly suggest Vega 56 instead of 2060, because you will be able to save around 60-70 pounds

Yh but the vega draws a lot of power compared to the 2060 tbh.

Just now, Tevildo said:

Yh but the vega draws a lot of power compared to the 2060 tbh.

Only if you keep Vega at stock voltage. 

If you undervolt, power consumption won't be much bigger than 2060.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

25 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Hyperthreading is like another set of cores

Hyperthreading is a technology which allow the CPU to use idle units inside a single core to execute a second thread.

Since most of those units are already busy when CPU is at full load, HT doesn't really double the cores.

That is why a 8700K 6C/12T behave very similarly to a 9700K that has 8C/8T. We saw a similar thing with the old I7 4C/8T being similar to the recent I5 6C/6T.

About OP

a 8600k (6C/6T) will be fine for now. 

Anyway future games will probably use more and more threads, especially after the new generation of consoles will come. A CPU with more threads (like Ryzen) might be more helpful in that case.

I don't think it really mater because the GPU (RTX 2070) will probably be the biggest bottleneck here (for future games).

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Bless appreciate it. I might change the case though since Im looking for one that has a tampered glass on the side. 

5 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

Bless appreciate it. I might change the case though since Im looking for one that has a tampered glass on the side. 

If you like visual more than functionality and noise level... But that BeQuiet case has also glass version. And is better if you want to buy big HDD at some point (for movies, pictures, music etc.).

When I configured last time computer for friend who wants to use it for everything, including games, I started with three drives - 256 SSD for system, 500 SSD GB for games and 2TB for all stuff like music, videos etc. It's safer, better and last longer without modifications.