TV for 1440p gaming

jtomasrl
Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,
Just now, jtomasrl said:

Yeah I know, it’s really a pain to find a good TV screen for both gaming and watching normal tv. I love the idea of using a monitor as TV screen, but sometimes you just want to watch tv. I know you can use a tv turner, but who turns on a pc to watch tv?

Just get a TV tuner box with HDMI out.

So I have my PC and a shity TV screen (maybe from 2015) that barely supports 1080p.

This is the problem, I live in an small apartment so I can’t affort having a desk with a pc monitor. Solution? TV screen for both gaming a netflix.

I’ve been looking for a decent TV screen for 1440p gaming, yeah I know, an RTX 2080 can handle 4k easily, bit still, 1440p is my ideal. I haven’t found to many options over there for 1440p, specially not >60hz supporting chroma 4:4:4. The best I found was some Samsung TV supporting 1440p@60hz or 1440p@100hz (or was it 120hz?) without chroma 4:4:4, is that a bad trade off?

I’m really not into TVs so a little help is always appreciated.

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

There are no 1440p TV's.  At least not without scaling.  If you can use 1440p its generally a 4k screen.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

those will be hard to find... just two points

tv makers list false refresh rates

you could just mount a big monitor to the wall...

Agreed, a big monitor is still going to do netflix but a TV will never do gaming as well as a monitor.

| Core i7 8700 | 16GB GSkill Trident Z | Asus Strix H370-F | Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti | Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | Lian Li Lancool One |

| Acer Predator XB271HU | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G502 | Neewer NW-7000 Condenser | AKG K92 |

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

those will be hard to find... just two points

tv makers list false refresh rates

you could just mount a big monitor to the wall...

Yeah I know, it’s really a pain to find a good TV screen for both gaming and watching normal tv. I love the idea of using a monitor as TV screen, but sometimes you just want to watch tv. I know you can use a tv turner, but who turns on a pc to watch tv?

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

Just now, jtomasrl said:

Just now, KarathKasun said:

I haven't even bothered with live TV in years. A Chromecast is small and can display anything you want it to.

| Core i7 8700 | 16GB GSkill Trident Z | Asus Strix H370-F | Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti | Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | Lian Li Lancool One |

| Acer Predator XB271HU | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G502 | Neewer NW-7000 Condenser | AKG K92 |

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

you know what? I’ve been using that boxes for about my whole life and I just realized you just need to plug an HDMI cable to the screen and no need of a coaxial cable.

Is there any real trade off of using a pc monitor as tv screen? rather than cost

Just now, jtomasrl said:

you know what? I’ve been using that boxes for about my whole life and I just realized you just need to plug an HDMI cable to the screen and no need of a coaxial cable.

Is there any real trade off of using a pc monitor as tv screen? rather than cost

Most have coax in and HDMI out.

Not really.

1 minute ago, jtomasrl said:

not really... and it might be even cheaper

I would personally get VA or IPS tho

now the hard part would be finding a >45”  1440p/4k monitor in my country

I have a 65" Sony X900F connected to a HTPC. I run it at 1440p 120Hz 4:4:4, with no frame skipping.

6 hours ago, fabarati said:

I have a 65" Sony X900F connected to a HTPC. I run it at 1440p 120Hz 4:4:4, with no frame skipping.

yeah I was reading that Sony TVs are really good for pc gaming and here we have the X905F, I guess it would be similar.

What about input lag? I can see it’s really low

46 minutes ago, jtomasrl said:

yeah I was reading that Sony TVs are really good for pc gaming and here we have the X905F, I guess it would be similar.

What about input lag? I can see it’s really low

Well, technically I have the 65XF9005 because Sweden, but yeah, they're the same. 

Input lag is low enough for me. I'm not the most sensitive, but it's probably around what rtings measured for 1080p 120 (12.9 ms). I have no complaints in either Forza Horizon 4 (in HDR) or Injustice 2, both using a wireless Xbox one controller and Microsofts wireless adapter (not BT). 

• 10 months later...
On 2/6/2019 at 1:19 AM, fabarati said:

Well, technically I have the 65XF9005 because Sweden, but yeah, they're the same. 

Input lag is low enough for me. I'm not the most sensitive, but it's probably around what rtings measured for 1080p 120 (12.9 ms). I have no complaints in either Forza Horizon 4 (in HDR) or Injustice 2, both using a wireless Xbox one controller and Microsofts wireless adapter (not BT). 

How do you do this? I’ve tried setting mine to it and every time it just reverts back to its original resolution. 

• 1 month later...

Now here is a question.  Is there any source to find a good middle ground?  A "Mario" of TVs for gaming and other living room shenanigans?  I know nothing will be perfect but 4k, HDR, and TRUE 120hz refresh rate would be a winning combo.  Anything close? Anything that will make me happy?  I mostly play FFXIV and its hard to read text for me,  The rest of the family, mostly consoles and watching, so this is mostly for me.  I am very productive and usually run a crappy auxiliary monitor for worky work.  Hope my life habits help get some decent recommendations.  60" to 65" a must. HDMI 2.0 would be nice  I wouldn't be asking if some of this stuff was even relatively easy to find, I am pretty proficient in most thing on the hardware side of tech and very with pc software and hardware.  TV tech, sadly, I am 100% in the dark. i also like to tweak and will if necessary, so snazzy ui isnt something i would need.  Same goes for any other bells and whistles, I don't need any of that stuff..  Any experts out there that could help.  Or could someone please yell at me and place this post in the correct thread?  Then kindly point me in the right direction?  New poster and not the best with forum etiquette sometimes, for this, I apologize in advance.  Lastly, hello everyone from 11 months ago!

On 2/5/2019 at 10:37 AM, jtomasrl said:

So I have my PC and a shity TV screen (maybe from 2015) that barely supports 1080p.

This is the problem, I live in an small apartment so I can’t affort having a desk with a pc monitor. Solution? TV screen for both gaming a netflix.

I’ve been looking for a decent TV screen for 1440p gaming, yeah I know, an RTX 2080 can handle 4k easily, bit still, 1440p is my ideal. I haven’t found to many options over there for 1440p, specially not >60hz supporting chroma 4:4:4. The best I found was some Samsung TV supporting 1440p@60hz or 1440p@100hz (or was it 120hz?) without chroma 4:4:4, is that a bad trade off?

I’m really not into TVs so a little help is always appreciated.

I use a LG B9 OLED TV as a monitor.

At 1440p the image on the OLED TV is as good as my 1440p monitor and running at 120hz instead of 144 is not an issue for me.

The G-sync on it is a good as my 1440p 144hz monitor with a G-sync module and that is a lot better than any of my Freesync monitors.

LG is introducing a 48" version this year and I think it will be a game changer.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 6 months later...

This isn't really a response but you can afford a RTX 2080 but not a desk?!?!