Windows reboots when I try to shut it down

MazeJoaco

So this has been happening to me for the last few months. At first I didn't pay attention to it, I thought it would fix by itself but that hasn´t been the case.

Everytime I try to shut down my PC, no matter what method I use, it shuts down, stays off for two seconds and then,it automatically reboots. This usually happens only the first time I shut it down but this could happen 2 or 3 times. Eventually it turns off and stays off.

When the PC reboots I always get the DistributedCOM error at the event viewer(in case that's helpful). I've tried every method I've come across to fix this but it has been useless.

Any ideas?

I used to have this issue, my power supply was to blame. What happens when you shut it off the PSU with the switch after you turn off your PC?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I turn the switch off everytime now to avoid facing the problem. I only don't do it when I forget or when I want to check if the problem is still happening.

Disable wake on lan in bios and system. You may try to unplug lan cable first to check is it related.

let-me-guess-windows-10.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

My BIOS doesn't have that feature, I guess I can do that by disabling the box "allow this device to wake the computer" on properties of the network adapter(?)

Every BIOS has that option somewhere. Except maybe very old ones.

Unplug lan cable helps?

Just now, homeap5 said:

Every BIOS has that option somewhere. Except maybe very old ones.

Swear to god I can´t find it. And I've looked several times.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Give me mobo model and I'll find it for you.

GIGABYTE B85M-DS3H

7 hours ago, MazeJoaco said:

GIGABYTE B85M-DS3H 

Power Management -> Resume by alarm - disabled

Power Management -> AC BACK -> Always Off

Power Management -> ErP - > Enabled (this is important, it disables Wake on Lan which is enabled by default on this Gigabyte motherboard).

On 1/21/2019 at 7:39 AM, homeap5 said:

Power Management -> Resume by alarm - disabled

Power Management -> AC BACK -> Always Off

Power Management -> ErP - > Enabled (this is important, it disables Wake on Lan which is enabled by default on this Gigabyte motherboard).

I unchecked that "allow this device to wake the computer"  box and it stopped rebooting. Now I checked it again to set the ErP to enabled and didn't reboot either. Now with the ErP enabled it doesn't reboot either. I don't know what's going on but I'll let you know if it happens again. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, MazeJoaco said:

I unchecked that "allow this device to wake the computer"  box and it stopped rebooting. Now I checked it again to set the ErP to enabled and didn't reboot either. Now with the ErP enabled it doesn't reboot either. I don't know what's going on but I'll let you know if it happens again. Thank you!

It's something related to "wake on pattern match". Turning on Magic Packet is not affected (if you want to turn on your computer remotely), only that "pattern match". Some routers or switches, or maybe other computers in network, sends some packets that wakes computer. I saw that few times.

BTW. Unchecking "allow this device to wake the computer" and disabling WOL (enabling ErP) in BIOS will give you less power consumption (just a little) when your computer is turned off (look at your LAN card led). So it's more "green" solution. Especially if you don't use Wake On Lan anyway.

No, I don't use WOL, and I've never changed any settings related to it, not in BIOS nor in network adapter properties, that's why it was so strange to me that this suddenly started to happen. Anyway, it seems that the rebooting problem ain't happening anymore so I'll leave the "green solution" on for now. I don't have any reasons not to as you said.

Thanks again.