1 SSD 2 OS

Seacoast

Hello All,

So I have a computer that I am contemplating putting a Linux Build on.  It currently has Windows 10 on it.  I have a 250 GB SSD as the boot with a 1TB HDD along with it.  

Would I have to partition both drives in order to allocate space for each OS or would Linux be able to coincide with the 1 TB secondary drive without partitioning that.  I am aware I would have to partition the boot drive but that shouldn't be a major deal.

Thanks in advance, also if you have any suggestions on which flavor of Linux I should try let me know.  My friend uses Arch Linux but not going to lie, that one scares me a little as apposed to something like Mint, Debian or Ubuntu.

--Seacoast

didn't you asked already question before?? Still, You didn't get an answer yet?

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

18 minutes ago, Agent_Niraj said:

didn't you asked already question before?? Still, You didn't get an answer yet?

I havn't asked about different OS before, was just the other day I had been contemplating and starting researching this process.  I'll do some more research through the forums to see if there is a similar thread I missed though.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:05 PM, Seacoast said:

I havn't asked about different OS before, was just the other day I had been contemplating and starting researching this process.  I'll do some more research through the forums to see if there is a similar thread I missed though.

oh, I am sorry.while you have Linux os in SSD you need install partition as 5gb for swap option and in 1tb put windows os.

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

You will have to partition the drive. Also, it will work better if you use legacy, non UEFI mode in the BIOS. There have been reports on this forum that dual-booting a drive in UEFI mode results in Windows 10 constantly overwriting the bootloader for the other OS. However, I'm dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 using legacy mode and have no issues. As far as I know, there's no good reason to use UEFI anyway, and it seems to just cause more issues and risk to a dual-boot system.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

You will have to partition the drive. Also, it will work better if you use legacy, non UEFI mode in the BIOS. There have been reports on this forum that dual-booting a drive in UEFI mode results in Windows 10 constantly overwriting the bootloader for the other OS. However, I'm dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 using legacy mode and have no issues. As far as I know, there's no good reason to use UEFI anyway, and it seems to just cause more issues and risk to a dual-boot system.

Thanks i'll keep that in mind as I continue to research on if I should even mess around with Linux.  I got Windows 10 and have optimized it for the most part, so it really does work for what I do.  I may get a Pi to mess around with Linux OS at some point instead.

Depending on your version of windows 10, and what you want to do with Linux,  Why not use Hyper-V or some other hypervisor and run Linux in a VM?

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>