Looking for Thermal Paste for My Laptop, if Necessary

TukangUsapEmenq

Hello there. I've got this Acer Aspire E5-475G with Intel Core i5 7200U (2.5 GHz normal, 3.1 turbo) and GeForce 940MX.

My usage, nearly everyday for game like Dota 2, or some daily works. Runs nicely still even after 1.5 year, but somewhat with a little shutter in little case.

Questions are:

1. Do I even need to change the thermal paste after 1.5 year of daily usage?

2. If so, what thermal paste do you guys recommend? No need to fancy thermal paste, just the thing that can meet my needs. That's all.

I found CoolerMaster MasterGel, and the Pro ones. Seems good actually for me, but need your guys opinion too for long-term usage either. (opening this laptop, seriously pain in the ass)

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

To answer your first question, If you aren't having problems with thermals, there really isn't any need to replace the paste. 

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

There isnt a need to replace it if the temps are fine but if you really wanna something like Arctic MX-4(Non conductive) or Silver 5 (I use it tho its conductive) 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

6 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

most of time thermal paste in laptop can last its lifetime.

i suggest clearing the dust.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Hello there. I've got this Acer Aspire E5-475G with Intel Core i5 7200U (2.5 GHz normal, 3.1 turbo) and GeForce 940MX.

My usage, nearly everyday for game like Dota 2, or some daily works. Runs nicely still even after 1.5 year, but somewhat with a little shutter in little case.

Questions are:

2. If so, what thermal paste do you guys recommend? No need to fancy thermal paste, just the thing that can meet my needs. That's all.

I found CoolerMaster MasterGel, and the Pro ones. Seems good actually for me, but need your guys opinion too for long-term usage either. (opening this laptop, seriously pain in the ass)

I have a laptop similar to this including the CPU and GPU (F5-573G), and even after modding the thermals with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut recently, there's not much significant gains in terms of raw performance. But thermals definitely improved (I didn't setup a baseline, oops)

The limitation is rather the 7200U and/or the 940MX. I have a much bigger limitation which is a pure hard drive for boot and programs, which I do intend to upgrade to a 500GB SSD (trading some capacity but I have a rig to store the rest of my archive) to keep it going.

AND, the screws Acer used are really shitty, as I actually shaved off 2 of the small Philips screwheads (one of which was on the GPU mount) after using brute force to unscrew them, which is mostly due to the excessive use of threadlockers, and I had to resort to the jankiest way to get the heatpipe off, which risked breaking the mobo, which luckily it didn't.

If you wanna know what I did, I basically rotated the heatpipe till the screw came loose, which it did and managed to remove it in one piece.

pOG

4 hours ago, N1G3L.L0K3 said:

But thermals definitely improved

What actually I wanted tho. I play Dota without any external keyboard (a habit, can't seemingly to use any keyboard either lol) and I need the thermal as good as possible.

3 hours ago, N1G3L.L0K3 said:

AND, the screws Acer used are really shitty, as I actually shaved off 2 of the small Philips screwheads (one of which was on the GPU mount) after using brute force to unscrew them, which is mostly due to the excessive use of threadlockers, and I had to resort to the jankiest way to get the heatpipe off, which risked breaking the mobo, which luckily it didn't.

Dunno, but I think that's actually right. I actually got two Acer laptops (one my old 4253 with AMD E-350) and tbh the screws aren't so good too.

Hard as f screws to remove lol

4 hours ago, N1G3L.L0K3 said:

The limitation is rather the 7200U and/or the 940MX. I have a much bigger limitation which is a pure hard drive for boot and programs, which I do intend to upgrade to a 500GB SSD (trading some capacity but I have a rig to store the rest of my archive) to keep it going.

Use HDD caddies, if possible tho. And that F5-573G actually can use M.2 SSD (as so far I read it online, and actually our motherboard are exactly the same shape), so might be worth to try.

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

most of time thermal paste in laptop can last its lifetime.

i suggest clearing the dust.

Dust already cleared enough, found a nice pile of dusts stuck on the side lol

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

19 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

And that F5-573G actually can use M.2 SSD

That is, if you can find the standoff and screw kit, since Acer doesn't sell that, and it isn't installed on my laptop.

My laptop does have that slot, but I would need to resort to hunting dead F5/E5 laptops for the screw kit at Sim Lim Square (I live in Singapore)

As for the HDD caddy thing, well the laptop doesn't have a third SATA combo slot, and the other SATA port uses a smaller power connector and to use it would mean having to sacrifice my DVD drive.

pOG

1 hour ago, N1G3L.L0K3 said:

That is, if you can find the standoff and screw kit, since Acer doesn't sell that, and it isn't installed on my laptop.

Can't you just search for the screw? 

1 hour ago, N1G3L.L0K3 said:

As for the HDD caddy thing, well the laptop doesn't have a third SATA combo slot, and the other SATA port uses a smaller power connector and to use it would mean having to sacrifice my DVD drive.

Well, that's exactly what it do. We barely use DVD anymore anyway lol

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

On 1/17/2019 at 1:12 AM, dhannemon13 said:

Can't you just search for the screw

Go have a try, been searching for BOTH the standoff and the screw, and plus shipping costs, I'd rather not use the M.2 slot. 

I do have the P/N for the standoff, but for the screw I don't. 

pOG

On 1/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, dhannemon13 said:

Questions are:

Laptop thermal paste lasts a really long time but If you want to change it I recommend the THERMALTAKE TG-7 I always use it and I have really good temps.  It is around ~$8 USD. 

On 1/18/2019 at 5:05 PM, N1G3L.L0K3 said:

Go have a try, been searching for BOTH the standoff and the screw, and plus shipping costs, I'd rather not use the M.2 slot. 

I do have the P/N for the standoff, but for the screw I don't. 

Actually found something interesting regarding that, on my local forum at my country. Using one of the back cover screw, said the screw is too long either, but he didn't screw it too deep anyway. And it said works well.

Spoiler

image.png.68a005b8599143944f0190b0e8ae7997.png

Woulda works either. Have a try either. Or sacrifice your DVD reader or your HDD lol

21 hours ago, The_Big_Grape said:

Laptop thermal paste lasts a really long time but If you want to change it I recommend the THERMALTAKE TG-7 I always use it and I have really good temps.  It is around ~$8 USD. 

Good recommend, thanks!

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio