Cheap re4 250gb hdds?!

FancyPants101

I've seen these on and off for many years. I need 4 to finish my raid and have it all in the same drive. But I never got around to it. I keep seeing this at as low as 15 dollars. But I don't know any of the rules or invisible rules of hdd sales. Are these good to buy? The normal prices on new egg are even going up to like 34 dollars a piece. Are they becoming rare enough they will be unbuyable soon? Are they worth buying to start with from potential wear and tear? I didn't want to mention it in case it decreases the available pool of drives. But is it worth buying something like this for as low as 15 dollars. I'm basically broke atm so I can't really afford to get drives and have to rebuy. Just interested in finding out the story behind these.

That or they are just going through a price flux. They were all down to 15 dollars for the holidays and late year stuff. I would just be using it for a home raid that is fast read write stroage. Would it be justifiable or would they likely break down quickly?

I was actually going to try to suggest to linus and company that these could make a fun way to cheaply fill out those 50 hdd boxes they keep sponsoring and do a getto 2.5-5Gbit/s server box and see if they would bum me 4 of them if they found it interesting enough. But I couldn't find a contact for them! ><

These always seem to be floating around everywhere too. It's interesting.

Out of curiosity, can you mine with hdd's. I wonder if those server boxes could mind the 250gb drives at 15$ a crack and get a good ROI.

$15 drives for a raid setup doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Unless you have a suitable backup, I can't say I'd trust those drives.

I was thinking partially this. I didn't realize they did a video on it. I wonder if that type of drive could be bought to make a decent mining box. Although obviously he has lots of spare drives and doesn't need it. ?

That or super ghetto speed box. I think you can rate the 250g re4 at 64 min to 128mbytes/s speed. That is 5kbits per 40 drives on the cheap. Obviously assuming no other issues. Get 5 for backup and 5 for hotswap/quickreplacements of those backup. That or do raid 10 within each box and do some cheap 1:1 parody with something faster and smaller on a board. Raid 10/5 parody. But I'm assuming the parody would be redundant unless the lifespan of the drives outlives it. But I don't know enough about it to now for certain. That would be 2.5gB/s per box with 40 active drives. Up to 3gB/s. And fairly cheap for Hdd prices.

Can you add 1:1 parody to a raid 10 with faster drives? Say Hdd's making the raid for storage and some form of m.2 as parody? Would that be a raid 15?

Or would a raid 15 be a raid 0 of 40 drives with faster parody of m.2 drives so you don't have to take down a raid 0 while a problem is occuring... That could be interesting. Raid 10 with half full working HDD drives and a smaller backup parody of equal speed/capacity m.2s.... Maybe not the exact same size and speed but the same ratio. Maybe the m.2 are then partitioned to equal sizes. Or software that can treat them as such for data retrieval.

Why would you want an 8 year old drive design with just 250gb of storage? Using those in RAID will mostly just consume energy but not gain you anything...

obviously price to performance. In this case shear price.

I would not be using them in a large server. Just in my pc. I have much older and less performing drives. That is a good price in comparison.

It would help have relatively fast storage. 192-384 or higher mb per seconds for file transfers hypothetically. That would go good with an SSD.

And given that 45 drives at 15 dollars only cost 675 dollars and 60 cost 900. He was getting 100 dollars a month. He could get his money back in 6-9 months. Or does storage capacity hurt with burst coin mining? It's not like he would have to buy the storinator in his case. ?

BTW, what part of burstcoin or hdd mining is used to determine overall usefulness in mining?