Fiber internet Sfp and not wanting to use isp hw

Fuzysidwell

Hello i have a Question i Dont know much about fiber networking only from what i have been reading online

i have a 1.5gbit connection direct Fiber into the home the internet goes to a SFP that goes into a ISP provided all in one 1gbit switch with wifi  i know the login information for my connection 

my question is if i was to put a 10gbit MNPA19-XTR for example into a pc and put the sfp in there instead of the router with the fiber attached naturally

Running something like pfsense could i not use that as the router / firewall and have that connect to my wireless access points and more

i didnt read any thing in the tos i couldnt only that if i needed support it would have to be threw there hardware  

and its not about anti tracking it more that i would like to have the full 1,5 gbit available to the network instead of just 1 gbit making it that i can download /upload at full speed 1.5gbit  from all 10gb devices to the net and be able to access files from nass at 10gbit

As right now i have to use 2 devices to get any ware close to 1.5Gb

I'm going to say no, because the ISP's only going to allow specific approved hardware on their network, and they usually have an approved list of equipment.  If you use your own equipment they have to register the MAC address, etc.  Your ISP may be different though.

the other idea which dosent sound like it would work i wonder if i connect lets say 2 1gbit cords from the pfsense in wan configuration  would i be able to access the 1.5 as theoretically there would be enough pass threw space or all 4

my goal is the pfsense being able to use the full 1.5 gbit connection and my isp is BELL canada

Its not going to work because you need an ONT which is managed via GPON or xGPON and a GPON SFP. 

Consumers dont just have a single direct fiber. 

This won't work as it they likely have config you will not be able to mirror, you can ask your ISP for a 'wires only' configuration if they will allow it.   They may or may not do it, either way I wouldn't personally bother.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

I have been looking at telus allowing nokia gpon sfp adapters to work

the issue is this, isp mine at least does not want the customer to mess with the fiber itself. fragile and costly to fix. I know of cases were customers cut the fiber right at the wall. isp goes to hook up the customer again or a new one and has to fish in a new line. Sometimes not as nice as before

Customer expects it to be just like the old copper, can't you just spice with the 1/2 inch of fiber left?

I would love to skip the ont/power supply as I just have internet and nothing else. Then there is the issue with dial tone on fiber. Battery backup in case power goes out.

2 hours ago, intertan said:

I have been looking at telus allowing nokia gpon sfp adapters to work

It all depends on the platform used on the ISP. With ours you can only use our brand for GPON. GPON is not straight forward as a modem. Its handling a lot of layer 2. 

2 hours ago, intertan said:

the issue is this, isp mine at least does not want the customer to mess with the fiber itself. fragile and costly to fix.

Thats why any good techs will put a splice at the ONT so just a patch is being handled. 

ok i dont think i did the explanation right what is supplyed by the isp 

Nokia Gpon Ont SFP (G-010S-A) Into a Sagemcom 5566 Commonly known as Home Hub 3000 or HH3K

what i am thinking of useing is Mellanox MNPH29C-XTR For example  put the sfp in there and run pfsense for example and have another sfp go to a switch which will split off to the rest of the network