AIO or Air cooling for my cpu

DylanDB

My 9700K just arrived ! 

Now i'm thinking about either taking my Scythe Mugen 5 PCHG edition into my new pc, or order a aio cooler.

Do you guys think it's possible to keep the 9700K cool with my scythe mugen? Or do you guys think i'll have to order an Corsair H100-110-115i?

If you're gonna spend upwards of $100 on an AIO, why a $50 air cooler? Also, air coolers are often times just as good, if not better, than aios. I would rather get a dark rock pro4 or noctua nh-d15 and not have to worry about the aio leaking or the pump failing. Plus, air coolers last a hell of a lot longer

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Get an air cooler instead of a cheap AIO liquid cooler. Some good options include the Dark Rock Pro 4, Dark Rock 4, NH-D15, NH-D15s, NH-D14, Cryorig H7, and Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Air cooler is a stick it and forget it, maintenance is low, when it brake (fans), you can replace it quickly, just buy another fans and slap it.

When a AIO brake, if the pump fails, the water will boil if there's no circulations, boiling water is going to stress the pipe / radiator, just like in cars. before you know it 1 tiny hole will destroy your motherboard / gpu.

You cannot see the dead pump immediately like when fans not spinning.

The performance of a AIO is not that great compared to a high end air cooler.

Small performance, huge risk. Take your bet.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

26 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

If you're gonna spend upwards of $100 on an AIO, why a $50 air cooler? Also, air coolers are often times just as good, if not better, than aios. I would rather get a dark rock pro4 or noctua nh-d15 and not have to worry about the aio leaking or the pump failing. Plus, air coolers last a hell of a lot longer

I allready have the Scythe Mugen for around a year or so ^^

So you say it wont be able to handle the 9700K? 

27 minutes ago, DylanDB said:

I allready have the Scythe Mugen for around a year or so ^^

So you say it wont be able to handle the 9700K? 

It will handle it, but if you want to do some major ocing, then I dont know how it will fare. I would just test it out with the Scythe and see. If it doesn't, then just get an air cooler. Much more convenient and usually for less 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

I have Noctua - D15, with prime stress 15min 78 °C  max, on auto Voltage, would get better temps with manuall but iam lazy :p, while gaming its like around 55-65°C

If you already have the cooler, stick with it. The Mugen 5 PCGH should already be plenty for cooling. 

Please don't make duplicate threads -- they've been merged.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.