When watercooling a gpu, go with the cheapest model of the GPU or buy a higher end model add a waterblock

Hey guys

So I wasnt sure to put this in watercooling or gpu.

but I'm looking to get back into a custom loop but I'm debating on the GPU model. I bought the EVGA 2080 Ti Black edition (non XC) and it is the non-a binned model. It doesn't have as good of an OC headroom. I haven't opened it yet, (if i do then if I want to go with a different model I have to pay a 15% restocking to return). I see theres the XC ultra series and the FTW3 model for $300 more. I know those are better binned chips and are to OC higher than the black edition.

Generally with watercooling I tried to push my gpu harder (when I had the r9 290) but have gone back to air since then. If I was going to OC it. Better to pay that premium or just try to OC with my black edition.

Better to wait for a sale on those guys, or just use this black edition I have.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Generally with watercooling I tried to push my gpu harder (when I had the r9 290) but have gone back to air since then. If I was going to OC it. Better to pay that premium or just try to OC with my black edition.

This is normally an easy question to answer: stick with the cheaper card the performance gain will be minimal at best.

But we are talking about a 2080ti here and custom watercooling. IMO if we are prepared to spend this much cash on a card I think you should be getting a faster core for that overclocking peace of mind as cost isn't exactly the prime focus of the build here.

As for which card? well you wanna take a look at what EK has for there blocks, a pre applied waterblock card (hydro copper) is also an option, outside that I would go for a founders edition as i believe they are binned and reference pcb. (correct me if im wrong)

cheapest that has a compatible water cooler. at least that was the rule of thumb with Pascal, things might be different with Turing. the performance was so damn close (within 5%) from the top of the bin stack to the bottom on Pascal it made no sense to pay 15% more (or greater) for that small a bump.

7 hours ago, TrigrH said:

This is normally an easy question to answer: stick with the cheaper card the performance gain will be minimal at best.

But we are talking about a 2080ti here and custom watercooling. IMO if we are prepared to spend this much cash on a card I think you should be getting a faster core for that overclocking peace of mind as cost isn't exactly the prime focus of the build here.

As for which card? well you wanna take a look at what EK has for there blocks, a pre applied waterblock card (hydro copper) is also an option, outside that I would go for a founders edition as i believe they are binned and reference pcb. (correct me if im wrong)

I got the Black edition for $999 (1545 boost clocks) from EVGA but the other retailers have a bit of a premium on them. the XC Gaming (1635 boost) is $350 more. so Its hard to convince myself that 100Mhz is worth $350. If you see where im coming from.

7 hours ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Hey guys

So I wasnt sure to put this in watercooling or gpu.

but I'm looking to get back into a custom loop but I'm debating on the GPU model. I bought the EVGA 2080 Ti Black edition (non XC) and it is the non-a binned model. It doesn't have as good of an OC headroom. I haven't opened it yet, (if i do then if I want to go with a different model I have to pay a 15% restocking to return). I see theres the XC ultra series and the FTW3 model for $300 more. I know those are better binned chips and are to OC higher than the black edition.

Thanks!

Really depends the specific chip, the card, and how much you have to budget.

Some chips/generation , just dont clock well no matter what. Current gen have massivly limited voltage controls for example.

Additionaly some cards, though priced differently and having different coolers, will be the same even though not a reference design. For example MSi do an armor and a gaming version of the 1080ti, which are infact the same aftermarket design pcb layout card, but with different coolers.. so u would buy the cheaper model if u were going to replace the cooler for a waterblock.

And ofc your budget determins how far u go. Absolute top of the line cards are usualy running binned chips and have every advantage going for them to achive higher clocks, and they will achieve higher clocks, but they demand a very high premium.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Really depends the specific chip, the card, and how much you have to budget.

Some chips/generation , just dont clock well no matter what. Current gen have massivly limited voltage controls for example.

Additionaly some cards, though priced differently and having different coolers, will be the same even though not a reference design. For example MSi do an armor and a gaming version of the 1080ti, which are infact the same aftermarket design pcb layout card, but with different coolers.. so u would buy the cheaper model if u were going to replace the cooler for a waterblock.

And ofc your budget determins how far u go. Absolute top of the line cards are usualy running binned chips and have every advantage going for them to achive higher clocks, and they will achieve higher clocks, but they demand a very high premium.

The one I acquired is the evga 2080 ti black edition (non xc) and it's the cheapest of all of evga's lineup. Im guessing with the lesser binned chip. Advertised boost of 1545mhz. Bhphoto has the xc gaming and xc2 gaming ultra available but at a 150$ premium over evga's pricing. They advertise faster speeds so I'm guessing a better binned chip. Debating going with that, keeping the black edition, or wait for a big boy card like the ftw3 to come back in stock.

TBH i cant really give advice on the 2080ti, i think its a right rip off, i wouldnt advise any1 get it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Well comparing boost clocks doesn’t make much sense. Never had ever since gpu boost became a thing. 

The cheapest model with block support is gonna perform the same in a game than the most exspensive model. Stock for stock, 5-8 FPs. The same difference can be seen between identical cards. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz