3D Printer Auto Bed Leveling issues

Hello,

So I have been playing with a printer I bought a couple of years ago and have never gotten to run properly. The printer is a Tevo Black Widow, with the BL touch auto bed leveling option.

The printer has always had awful prints, with a bubbly/ rough texture that I have never seen before. I switched all of my slicing from slic3r to simplify 3D and the awful texture went away (even though I made all of my settings the exact same as what I had been running in slic3r?!) Anyway, now that the printer is running decently, I'd like to use it for some actual printing as its large build volume will be very handy in the near future. The only thing I am still having problems with is the auto bed leveling. I have used the auto leveling feature through the LCD, and I think this is what is messing up my first layer. The print will be printing a perfect first layer, then move the Z axis down and print way too close to the bed, then move back up for other parts of the first layer. I am wondering if there is an easy way for me to wipe all bed leveling data and tell the printer that the plate is "perfectly flat" to see if this will get rid of the issue before attempting to use the sensor anymore.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Does it print fine without auto leveling? I'd suggest trying to level and tram the bed manually as well as possible anyway and let the autolevel do the remaining bits, as it's only  meant to deal with slight not-levelness. Otherwise,  maybe it needs a firmware update. A quick Google suggests it's running Marlin, which did have issues regarding autolevel in the past it seems e.g. starting too high: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/4612

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Thanks for the reply-

I haven't been able to test printing without auto-leveling, as I am not sure how to disable auto-leveling/ reset the values to default (or trick it into thinking the values are all flat.) I have manually leveled the bed, and can see that it is very level, so I would like to just tell the printer that the bed is flat and see how it prints with no compensation. The printer does run on marlin, and yes it is the original version it shipped with. I have seen some guides on upgrading to a newer version of the firmware developed by the community, which I am considering doing.

• 2 weeks later...

You could disable autobed leveling by either removing the GCODE that does autobed leveling which I belive is the “G29” Command. The other option is to unplug the sensor and start the print with the bed manually leveled and the print head very close to the bed and going from there.