Best Air cooler for i7 9700k

harjm

Hi can anyone recommend a air cooler for the i7 9700k 

I am looking at a Noctua NH-D15 Premium and currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 

Case: Cooler Mastercase maker 5 

Ram: GSkill Ripjaw v 16GB 

Mobo: Asus Strix e Gaming

Gigabyte Aorus Pro or the wifi version 

1 minute ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

the noctua would be good or the dark rock pro 4

Thanks for replying what would u say for motherboard the gigabyte or asus leaning towards Asus but gigabyte is cheaper and can not really see much difference between them 

1 minute ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

the gigabyte one is very nice, ive used gigabyte before and they are a reputable brand and the gigabyte has all the features youll need so id go with that and save yourself some money

Thanks appreciate it with the prices of intel at the moment saving a bit on other components will help a lot trying to see if i7 drops in price but do not think i will have much luck 

for gaming? intel kicks ALL the a** over ryzen. @Andrew.Schickowski however, ryzen is cheaper. can't disagree there. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

13 minutes ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

i dont know if you will consider it but ryzen has some good prices with their cpus and performance would not be much different

Hi I do not disagree ryzen for the price and performance is great and have really seen some great offers and started to get tempted to go ryzen but i have had intel from the beginning and not really had any problems but will have to see how the rpice for i7 goes if it does not go down much near Christmas or even after might just have to go ryzen I guess  

1 hour ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

yea i have had ryzen for about a year and its been good to me but, i get where your coming from, youve had intel for a while and they are good chips but the price is quite high, if do end up going with ryzen i recommend the aorus x470 mother board which is similar to the other gigabyte board and for the cpu the 2700x is a great performer for about 300 usd. But what ever your preference is just go with that   

Thanks for the help appreciate it  

Gskill Ripjaws V RAM has 42mm height, while NH-D15 has 32mm RAM clearnace,

With this RAM and case, you are limited at 160mm clearance by the case, D15 will be 165mm height with both fans on, you still can use only 1 fan or move the front fan to the back of the heatsink to be fit inside the case with that RAM.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

3 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Gskill Ripjaws V RAM has 42mm height, while NH-D15 has 32mm RAM clearnace,

With this RAM and case, you are limited at 160mm clearance by the case, D15 will be 165mm height with both fans on, you still can use only 1 fan or move the front fan to the back of the heatsink to be fit inside the case with that RAM.

Thanks for reply was looking at that and thinking maybe getting dark rock pro 4 as they are quite similar and hopefully will fit easier