GTX 780 Recommendations

Hello, guys,

Will soon be completing my new build and wanted to ask for your GTX 780 (Non-Ti version) recommendations. The market is flooded with these cards and your help will be greatly appreciated. 

Here is a little more info for you guys to consider. 

I do not plan on over-clocking anything in my system, including the GPU. I will be playing Battlefield 4 and possibly helping with some live streaming events. I will be using a standard 27" 1920x1080 HD monitor but would like to get a 27" 2560x1440 monitor in the near future.

My CPU is an i7-4771 - RAM is 16GB 1600 - I just purchased a Seasonic 660W Platinum PSU. By the way, do you guys think this PSU will be okay for my system? Remember, I won't be over-clocking anything.

Thank you all very much and I'll respond when I can. Work is eating a lot of my free time up.

Asus DCUII is youre best option.

Interested in Business and Technology

DCuII or gigabyte or MSI

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Asus DCUII is youre best option.

everyone says that one but the problem is that, asus one is always the most expensive :L

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Man, you guys get on it! Thanks for your quick replies! I really do appreciate it. I will look into all the suggested recommendations.

By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE! :)

I'll be deciding on something within the next 2 weeks or so.

By the way, do we know when NVIDIA will release their newest cards? Newer cards would drop the prices of these current cards and I'd certainly like to see that.

I would like to think the Gigabyte Windforce 3X GTX 780 is good, as well as EVGA's ACX Cooler 780. ASUS is, absolutely, a great option, however.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I would like to think the Gigabyte Windforce 3X GTX 780 is good, as well as EVGA's ACX Cooler 780. ASUS is, absolutely, a great option, however.

Thanks, man.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

Thanks, man.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

Keep in mind that you should look for cards based on the warranty. The longer, the better, but if a warranty says somewhere in the fine print that it's a three-year warranty with one-year labor, it's basically a one-year warranty. I named companies that have great warranties and customer support. MSI is not a bad option, either.

If you do buy an EVGA card, try to buy a Superclocked version. They're often the same price as their ordinary variants of the cards, but come factory overclocked. If you don't want to overclock because of time constraints or because it isn't something you're comfortable with, an EVGA Superclocked card might be up your alley. If you later decide to play at 2560x1440 resolutions, those extra frames per second really will mean a lot. And that isn't even the limit of the card's overclocking, but in a lot of games at that resolution, you can expect around a 12% performance increase. Very nice, considering how little more it costs, and that's if it's even more expensive than the stock configuration.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Keep in mind that you should look for cards based on the warranty. The longer, the better, but if a warranty says somewhere in the fine print that it's a three-year warranty with one-year labor, it's basically a one-year warranty. I named companies that have great warranties and customer support. MSI is not a bad option, either.

If you do buy an EVGA card, try to buy a Superclocked version. They're often the same price as their ordinary variants of the cards, but come factory overclocked. If you don't want to overclock because of time constraints or because it isn't something you're comfortable with, an EVGA Superclocked card might be up your alley. If you later decide to play at 2560x1440 resolutions, those extra frames per second really will mean a lot. And that isn't even the limit of the card's overclocking, but in a lot of games at that resolution, you can expect around a 12% performance increase. Very nice, considering how little more it costs, and that's if it's even more expensive than the stock configuration.

Great advice! 

I've posted this same question on 3 other sites and no one else mentioned anything about the warranty. This is one of the reasons I am not interested in overclocking anything now. After a few years have passed and my rig starts showing it's age, only then would I consider over-clocking. Well, by then I'll probably do a full upgrade.

Also, I've had a few others mention the ASUS card. but those EVGA cards seem to be the most popular on Newegg. Plus, for what it's worth, EVGA has been making cards for many years and this makes me a little more comfortable with their brand. Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with either brand.

Thanks for the advice, bro!

By the way, do some of these cards consume more power than others or is it 250 watts across all brands? I understand the over-clocked cards will consume more power. I guess higher electricity bills come along with these higher-end GPUs, which is something most of us never consider until we get that first bill after our new builds.  :wacko:

I personally bought 2 of the EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX and I love them. They work great, look good, and stay nice and cool.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

By the way, do some of these cards consume more power than others or is it 250 watts across all brands? I understand the over-clocked cards will consume more power. I guess higher electricity bills come along with these higher-end GPUs, which is something most of us never consider until we get that first bill after our new builds.  :wacko:

I'm not sure what the difference would be. It's true that an overclocked card is going to have a larger power draw than one in a stock configuration. I don't know of any calculators that can determine the extra draw the card needs in order to power itself under an overclocked configuration (not even Outervision), but the power draw shouldn't change so dramatically that you need a better power supply or better cooling. Generally speaking, if a factory overclocked card has a non-reference cooler (like EVGA's ACX cooler), then it's powerful enough to dissipate the heat output. When in doubt, grab a couple case fans and bottom- or side-mount them in your case, if you can.

Nvidia recommends a higher wattage PSU for the GTX 780, but even in unrealistic benchmarks, you'll be able to power the card - overclocked or not. There is no cause for concern.