MSI Z87 MPower 1150 won't POST / Powers up for a second (w/ 4770k)

Go to solution Solved by Advent,

If anyone is curious; I RMA'd the board and got a refund and got the MPOWER Max which is running 100% fine! :)

Should mark your thread as solved then. Glad everything worked out. Was the motherboard as I suspected.

Hey,

I've been building systems for years now and I've recently just bought some new parts.

It's just typical that the time I come round to upgrading my own rig at Christmas nothing goes to plan.

Specs: 

• Antec true power 850w (part of my old rig)
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
  • MSI Z87 MPower Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
  • Intel i7 4770k 
  • MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming Edition OC 3072MB GDDR5

The power LED lights up on the board and everything will power up for about half a second.

I've tried:

• The board both in and out of a case.
  • With just the essential processor, graphics card and a stick of RAM.
  • With 2 different power supplies (an 850 and a 750W)
  • With and without RAM also put them in in different orders etc
  • With and without a graphics card
  • Switched BIOSs
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Without CPU fan plugged in

And I've also done the usual checks on cables being in properly and I've checked to see if anything is shorting.

I get no debug codes either as the board powers off so quickly.

Just to note I've been using the stock heatsink and fan during this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to have to RMA the board.

Is your motherboard installed on standoffs inside of the case?

Might seem like an easy question, but it's an important one :P

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Is your motherboard installed on standoffs inside of the case?

Might seem like an easy question, but it's an important one :P

Yes :) I forgot to mention that. I've also had the system just quickly built up on the motherboard box.

Yes :) I forgot to mention that. I've also had the system just quickly built up on the motherboard box.

So basically all it does is power on for a second, and then powers down again?

So basically all it does is power on for a second, and then powers down again?

Yep everything powers on and everything light's up then it goes off. All within about half a second. :(

Yep everything powers on and everything light's up then it goes off. All within about half a second. :(

Out of curiosity, are the PSU's in question certified for use in an LGA1150 system?

Out of curiosity, are the PSU's in question certified for use in an LGA1150 system?

I tried with a Corsair CX 750w today which according to the Corsair site is 100% compatible.

I tried with a Corsair CX 750w today which according to the Corsair site is 100% compatible.

Did you check to make sure that there are no bent pins on the socket and no visible scratched on the contact points on the processor itself?

you could also try to remove the ram and see if the pc continues to power off,it should not post without memory but it should stay on.

those are about the only things left,other than that it's a faulty processor or motherboard.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Did you check to make sure that there are no bent pins on the socket and no visible scratched on the contact points on the processor itself?

you could also try to remove the ram and see if the pc continues to power off,it should not post without memory but it should stay on.

those are about the only things left,other than that it's a faulty processor or motherboard.

From what I can see the pins look fine. I've ordered a cheap Gigabyte mobo which should come tomorrow so I can try the processor.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is curious; I RMA'd the board and got a refund and got the MPOWER Max which is running 100% fine! :)

Should mark your thread as solved then. Glad everything worked out. Was the motherboard as I suspected.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless