New Headphones ~300-400€

Perkele

So i'm looking for new pair of headphones, mainly of music. I mostly listen metal & rock, actually not much anything else. I also game, but music is the point why im even getting new headphones.

So, how about any of these:

Audio-Technica ATH-ES10
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic T 70
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 650

Does anyone have experience with any of these? Would you recommend some these?

About open or closed, i don't know yet. I have to test some open's if i can anywhere nearby, so i could say do they "leak" too much for my use.

I propably should get AMP / DAC too, would you recommend some of these that the FAQ recommended, or something else?

FiiO E10
O2+ODAC
Schiit Magni+Modi

So do you have any recommendations from those headphones or amp's/dac's? And please of course, make your own suggestions too.

Logan loves his DT 880's for metal, and they do sound good. If you like sennheiser, get the HD 600's, they're cheaper and sound nearly identical.

Stay away from schiit.

Is positional audio for fps games a requirement in your selection? If so you need open ear. Are these for home use or public? You are deffo going to need an amp for the high impedance headphones (DT880). Anything over 80 ohms is generally going to need an amp. FiiO E10 is a good choice, don't know if it's the best/$ but you're on the right track. Look up the reviews on head-fi.org as I'm not up to date on those models. 598's won't be amazing for bass just so you know.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I have the HD 650s and love them as an all-rounder. Another good all-rounders is my ATH-AD500X, so add the AD900X to your consideration list. 

For rock and its derivative genres, I like treble friendly headphones, and the AKG K 701, 702, or Q 701 are simply magical in the high range. An amp is recommended for them, however, which adds to the cost.

I know I haven't exactly widdled down your options, but that's what you get for having such a nice budget.  :P

Logan loves his DT 880's for metal, and they do sound good. If you like sennheiser, get the HD 600's, they're cheaper and sound nearly identical.

Stay away from schiit.

Ok, the only thing is i still have to test some open headphones to say does it "leak" too bad for my use.

Is positional audio for fps games a requirement in your selection? If so you need open ear. Are these for home use or public? You are deffo going to need an amp for the high impedance headphones (DT880). Anything over 80 ohms is generally going to need an amp. FiiO E10 is a good choice, don't know if it's the best/$ but you're on the right track. Look up the reviews on head-fi.org as I'm not up to date on those models. 598's won't be amazing for bass just so you know.

[EDIT] Positional audio is not requirement. Im going to use them at home, still need to test some open's to say are they even acceptable at my use.

I have the HD 650s and love them as an all-rounder. Another good all-rounders is my ATH-AD500X, so add the AD900X to your consideration list. 

For rock and its derivative genres, I like treble friendly headphones, and the AKG K 701, 702, or Q 701 are simply magical in the high range. An amp is recommended for them, however, which adds to the cost.

I know I haven't exactly widdled down your options, but that's what you get for having such a nice budget.  :P

Ok, gotta test those too then. Just to be clear, the 300-400€ is what i can spend on headphones, it can be more, but only if there's some serious improvements on the audio. Trying to test all possible headphones i can, not going to buy that pricey headphones without testing anyway. So the point, it's 300-400€ on headphones, not sure how much i should spend on the amp / dac.

Ok, the only thing is i still have to test some open headphones to say does it "leak" too bad for my use.

Positional audio is on requirement. Im going to use them at home, still need to test some open's to say are they even acceptable at my use.

Ok, gotta test those too then. Just to be clear, the 300-400€ is what i can spend on headphones, it can be more, but only if there's some serious improvements on the audio. Trying to test all possible headphones i can, not going to buy that pricey headphones without testing anyway. So the point, it's 300-400€ on headphones, not sure how much i should spend on the amp / dac.

No more than a few hundred, and don't buy a tube amp.

Well, the Objective products (O2 amp and ODAC) measure similarly to a $1600 Benchmark DAC1 if that's any indication of what's best. I'm unsure if there's assemblers in Finland, but I do know there are some in Europe. Buying from an American assembler might save you money even after shipping/taxes, so you might want to get your calculator out.

Well, the Objective products (O2 amp and ODAC) measure similarly to a $1600 Benchmark DAC1 if that's any indication of what's best. I'm unsure if there's assemblers in Finland, but I do know there are some in Europe.

There's only 4 of us ( give er take a few really small scraglers ) 2 in the US, 1 in the UK, and one in Switzerland.

There's only 4 of us ( give er take a few really small scraglers ) 2 in the US, 1 in the UK, and one in Switzerland.

That's just what you want me to think.

paranoid.gif

Positional audio is on requirement. Im going to use them at home, still need to test some open's to say are they even acceptable at my use.

Well its got to be open ear then in that case. They do leak noise and the bass isn't as impressive on a set of closed ear headphones but that is the compromise for positional audio. Maybe some of the higher end can do both (heavy bass and accuracy) but I can't speak for them.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Well its got to be open ear then in that case. They do leak noise and the bass isn't as impressive on a set of closed ear headphones but that is the compromise for positional audio. Maybe some of the higher end can do both (heavy bass and accuracy) but I can't speak for them.

And of course there's some missclick. Fixed it on the original too, so positional audio is not requirement, sorry my bad.

[EDIT]

I quess ordering from the UK won't be a problem, thanks for the information

And of course there's some missclick. Fixed it on the original too, so positional audio is not requirement, sorry my bad.

[EDIT]

I quess ordering from the UK won't be a problem, thanks for the information

Oh well then this opens up your choices to closed ear headphones which generally allow for greater bass and much better noise suppression (you can actually go out in public with them)

That's just what you want me to think.

paranoid.gif

Is that mila kunis at the start of the gif?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

No, it's Jackie Burkhart.

Ohh... they look so similar..

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

Ohh... they look so similar..

:rolleyes:

Yes, it's Mila. She played a character called Jackie in That 70's Show.