LSI SandForce SF3700 Announced: SATA III and PCIe Native to up to 1800MBs

digitalnav

"33957_01_lsi_sandforce_sf3700_announced_

The new SF3700 controller's design is for both consumer and enterprise products much like SF-1000 and SF-2000. Early on, we expect to see enterprise products demoed first but in the end, consumer drives may hit the market first due to the long validation period for enterprise products.

33957_02_lsi_sandforce_sf3700_announced_

One controller to rule them all, the new SF3700 is a modular design with registers for features that manufactures can enable or disable. The modular design is also the basis for future products. If a few front-end interface is required, LSI can simply design a new interface and mate it to the core architecture. This reduces time to market for next generation products.

33957_03_lsi_sandforce_sf3700_announced_

The SSD market has been quiet for the last year other than a few NGFF announcements. SATA III, the brick wall standard for SSDs today has hampered performance. LSI's new SF3700 controller removes the bottleneck and opens the door for current and future flash to deliver higher performance.

Source

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

All the dollars! So this is only the controller?

Quote me to get a reply!

Asus Raidr need Linus to do an unboxing of this PCIE SSD, and that server picture below it. It Linus's home server haha

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

We need SATA gen 4 now. Or lower price PCI cards. Better controllers are nice, but as long as they don't improve the random reads it doesn't matter. Most SSD's fill the bandwith of SATA 3 easy in tests, it is the IOPS and Random reads that are being left behind

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

We need SATA gen 4 now. Or lower price PCI cards. Better controllers are nice, but as long as they don't improve the random reads it doesn't matter. Most SSD's fill the bandwith of SATA 3 easy in tests, it is the IOPS and Random reads that are being left behind

SATA Express is close to market.

Completly forgot about that one. That is indeed also a very viable option. Lets just hope for good prices, like new tech always has........ And I would love better IOPS

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Cool, I guess. I love SSD's but for me, spending an extra 100 - 200 dollars on things that will actually given me a tangibly better gaming experience has always been top priority.

And when I have bought an SSD, it was DOA...

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Cool, I guess. I love SSD's but for me, spending an extra 100 - 200 dollars on things that will actually given me a tangibly better gaming experience has always been top priority.

And when I have bought an SSD, it was DOA...

I bought an SSD and I love the speed of it. I get really good startup times and software starts in the blink of an eye. Also with BF4 maps load really fast. I love it and I don't think I wasted money on it

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Anandtech stated that this is not true on their Intel 530 review they pretty much explained why is sata 6gbps still going to be the main conector for a while, even for high tier stuff. And somewhat I agree...

Why don't we spam the manufacturers home pages and tell them we want 12gbps SAS consumer SSDs, and SAS ready gaming motherboards!  :P

I bought an SSD and I love the speed of it. I get really good startup times and software starts in the blink of an eye. Also with BF4 maps load really fast. I love it and I don't think I wasted money on it

Yeh, I know they aren't a waste of money but I prefer being able to spend the extra bucks on my system, instead of getting a r9 280x I might get a 290.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Asus Raidr need Linus to do an unboxing of this PCIE SSD, and that server picture below it. It Linus's home server haha

I haven't really seen any good reviews on the RAIDR, it to performs well, but not for the price compared to just 2 SSDs in RAID 0. It does look good though.

Linus should do a review of this :D.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.