Project Zeal

Zeal

I wouldn't say the Essence sounds anywhere close to a laptop soundcard. It depends on your audio gear and music source. I plan to get higher end high impedance headphones that will benefit from the amp.

It might not sound the same, but are you sure that the Essence sounds better? The biggest problem with most soundcards is that you really need high impedance headphones to make it "worth" because of the high output impedance which ruin sound on lower impedance headphones, and even then there are much better options, like using line out from your onboard, into an o2 amp. the o2 amp is one of the best amps for under like 400$ or so, comes with a gain switch so you can set gain for different headphones. and also, integrated ROG sound should run 250 ohm headphones no problem, and if you're going in to 600 ohm headphones, you can usually get stuff that sounds the same with less resistance and probably less money spendt. The world of headphones really is moving towards low-impedance headphones. 

for Audio gear, external solutions are better anyway, less interference from other things inside the computer, most are driverless too (ASUS Xonar drivers suck), they have lower output impedance, and more stuff you can probably read about in the Audio FAQ. When it comes to headphones, many newer ones are low impedance, and still sound great. an example is my Shure SRH440's, they are 44 ohm, sound great on both my phone and my laptop. my M50's sound great on phone and laptop too, D2X doesn't sound that different. 

as for source: 320 kbps MP3 is sufficient unless you're doing like.. music production or something. but FLAC and high quality WAV doesn't do much better, especially considering the ridiculous amount of space it takes up. 

Anyway, nice build! 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

omg, I'm in love! Beautiful build! 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Finally got two SATA shrinks to not snap on me! Look how tight it already is on the USB3.0 Connector! I think the heatshrink was shrinking while I was taking the pic, haha.

USB3.0 Female side complete.

Header complete.

Might work on EPS & PCIE cables tomorrow.

Wow very neat work, loving it.

got to love Asus components

Forgot to take my SD card out of my card reader last night, so I only have phone pics today. I'll retake the pics tomorrow!

Sneak peak: might upload the rest later in a couple hours.

vY43wfu.jpg

Quite unsatisfied with the phone pics, so I've only uploaded a few.

F1cZsXk.jpg

JWtL95w.jpg

7lJuxoE.jpg

3Ytky73.jpg

Small update on sleeving:

EPS 8 Pin with real pics this time

LzGS5S9.jpg

mHCCIgm.jpg

Routing

Ok0JdkY.jpg

Molex for sound card:

aCqopAB.jpg

IqaZVVO.jpg

Need to search around for an aftermarket r9 290 that will fit my case before I begin sleeving PCIE cables. Some companies have the connector facing up, while others have it faced down.

• 2 weeks later...

Mini update.

Well, I think I'll be settling down with an msi r9 290 Gaming when it gets released here in Canada. I really wanted the Asus one, but the size of the cooler probably wouldn't fit in my case. While I wait for the card to come in stock, I decided to test boot my new rig, to see if everything works as it was supposed to....

So I plugged in my old 5870 and attached some temporary PCIE cables. Pressed the power button and....it booted up! Huzzah!

Only one problem. The rig posted, but I got a CPU_Fan not detected message. So I thought to myself, I've read a couple AIOs that had that problem, and all you had to do was disable the monitor in BIOS. So I did, and it booted up into windows. Checked the CPU Temps and it was at 80C at stock!! I quickly shut it off and sat down. Many thoughts were rushing through my mind. One of them was: Is the pump DOA? I didn't even test to see if the pump worked before I started taking it appart! :P Another thought that came shortly after was, did I mess up the order on the fan cable? The cables were pre-melted together in the order of White, Red, Black. I searched up a pic of my AIO cooler on Google, and luckily I was able to see a tiny amount of colour, bleeding through the black sleeve. The order was Black, Red, White. Oops :(

So I quickly removed the sleeving and heatshrink and separated the wires to orient them properly. It booted up properly with ~20C temps :lol:

Moral of the story: Always double check your work. I should have taken a pic or recorded the proper colour configuration before I snipped the wire :P The fully aluminum/copper block was literally cooling the CPU passively with only 2 fans installed on the rad blowing air. I didn't bother attaching the other fans!

Shortly after, I did some quick and dirty OCing. Ended up with 4.4GHz stable and my RAM clocked to 2133MHz CL10! Quite a nice improvement from the stock 3.5GHz CPU and 1866MHz CL9 RAM. I will be fine tuning the OC later on when I finish the build.

CPU-Z validation link:

http://valid.canardpc.com/s3l8k4

peP9JoR.png

Looks good man! I too will be doing a little matx gaming/daily build in the silverstone ps07 with the maximus vi gene, and a 4770k. I'll be using the asus dcu2 780. Tuned in!

• CPU : i7-4770k, Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Gene, RAM: 16gb G-Skill Sniper 1866, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII, Case: Corsair 350D, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & Seagate 1TB HDD, PSU: Seasonic 860w Platinum, Monitor: ASUS VN-247P, CPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop, Mouse: Steel Series Sensai Raw, Sounds: Vmoda Crossfade LP

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112285-slightly-smaller-just-as-baller/

Wondering why you purchased a soundcard when that motherboard has excellent onboard audio. Unless you are going to be using some ridiculously high impedance headphones. Even then you would have better luck with an external DAC/Amp combo.

Anyhow nice build.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Dat sleeving doe...

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Followed! Can't wait for the end result!!!! :D

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on some sleeving~

Lots of pictures!

Sleeving PSU Power cable:

Snipped the two ends off my PSU's power cord, and placed some white SATA sleeve on it. Black cable is pretty hard to cover with white...

yHm7yyh.jpg

Remove insulation and wind the copper wires together:

F0nBAUG.jpg

If you're using a custom socket like me, split the wire down the middle and roll it into a "Y" shape before screwing in the contact points so the teeth can grip onto the wire better:

qJFOm41.jpg

Decided to put a second sleeve on top of the original to (hopefully) mask the gaps. The difference is pretty big, wouldn't you say? :)

AXMQY98.jpg

After some time, PSU power cable was completed: The connectors are actually transparent red. Too bad you can't really see it though

YR0qVzD.jpg

Shining some light through the plastic :3

u7Cs32j.jpg

9D9MnN2.jpg

----

Yesterday's work:

Made 1x 6ft Mini USB cable and 1x 6ft Micro USB cable to match the rig. I'm using 28AWG wire for the Mini because keyboards don't need extra power draw, and 24AWG wire for Micro USB to allow for faster charging of smartphones. ;)

VwFUC9l.jpg

GrM81dP.jpg

eXD95we.jpg

Close up shots to compare the tightness of the weave.

S7ZNwmd.jpg

NGYKNSv.jpg

qkC80wP.jpg

XQnuYXn.jpg

All 3 cables together

XG9qmOY.jpg

Nice sleeving :D

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

The sleeving job is outstanding! This whole build looks amazing!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Amazing. I love the custom caseyou're making as well.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!