How to change thermal paste on a graphics card?

Ethre

I know I could find a guide and stuff, but I really don't have isopropyl alcohol in order to remove the previous paste, and the thing is that this graphics card has been used for two years so I am pretty sure it will be really dry, and this is why my R9 270X is getting up to 90C in games.

I wanted to know if I could use something like nail polish remover ? It has acetone in it, maybe it could work?

Also would cooler master thermal paste work on it?

ye you can use that too.. just be carefull... as for the thermal paste.. they are the same for the gpu and cpu

Just get 80% alcohol at your local pharmacy and use Artic Silver cooling paste

I am not sure if I could get alcohol at my local pharmacy, I really don't know where I could get something like this.

But then once again, I didn't even try.

Going to my local pharmacy now, are you sure I should get the 80% alcohol?

Linus used a 99%

Going to my local pharmacy now, are you sure I should get the 80% alcohol?

Linus used a 99%

At least 91% isopropyl alcohol

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

At least 91% isopropyl alcohol

went to my local pharmacy and they didnt have any of that, so i really don't know what i should do now

my r9 270x goes up to 90C which is definately not okay

went to my local pharmacy and they didnt have any of that, so i really don't know what i should do now

my r9 270x goes up to 90C which is definately not okay

Keep searching mate. I wouldn't use nail polish remover at all. At least 91% isopropyl alcohol is recommended. If you have it, use a coffee filter to clean the GPU die and get you some Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I have used 70% without an issue. If you must, a dry paper towel aka "advantage rag" should do fine removing most of the paste from the cooler, and basically all of it from the gpu. WD-40 does wonders on old thermal paste, but you gotta wipe it off good.

Keep searching mate. I wouldn't use nail polish remover at all. At least 91% isopropyl alcohol is recommended. If you have it, use a coffee filter to clean the GPU die and get you some Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste.

yeah i will keep searching

If you are referring to Arctic Silver 5, that thermal paste is 12 years old and mediocre by today's standards. It may not even end up beating whatever paste the manufacturer used. If you apply something more high-end like the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, you're pretty much guaranteed lower temps.