Borderlands 2 running very poorly on GTX 970

I just downloaded Borderlands 2, and found that i have to turn down all the settings to even get 30-40 fps at 1080p, with a 970 strix and fx 8350. am i being unreasonable wanting to play this at high details at 1080p with this set up or is something wrong?

thanks in advance!

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers? Do you have the latest drivers? Can you post a screenshot of MSI Afterburner or GPUZ while you play the game so we can see your clock speeds?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Do you have physX enabled and if so is it running on your cpu or gpu?

It should be running on you GPU. It Hardcore lags usually on CPU's

Also are you using ethernet?

May seem totally random but borderlands 2 and another couple games are unplayable if you are using mobile tethering for whatever reason. Even if you are playing single player.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Check drivers. Also, try disabling PhysX and see if your FPS skyrockets. If it does, try installing PhysX manually here, turn PhysX back on in the game and see what happens.

If this is a new card, make sure your Display cord is plugged directly into it and not the onboard graphics! Also make sure you drivers are up to date. 

Might add this later...

I just downloaded Borderlands 2, and found that i have to turn down all the settings to even get 30-40 fps at 1080p, with a 970 strix and fx 8350. am i being unreasonable wanting to play this at high details at 1080p with this set up or is something wrong?

thanks in advance!

Verify your games cache in steam, if any files are missing wait for them to download and try again. If problem persists revert your driver back to 353.82, be sure to use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove it and follow all the suggested instructions including booting into safe mode.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

thanks in advance!

I can max it out with AMPLE framerates past 120fps, but I locked mine to less due to not needing so much, you should be able to max it out easy.

/Reinstall drivers i guess....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

By the way, you should consider upgrading your CPU. The 8350 is a bottleneck. 

It doesn't bottleneck a 970 if overclocked.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

By the way, you should consider upgrading your CPU. The 8350 is a bottleneck. 

It doesn't bottleneck a 970 if overclocked.

Its also totally irrelevant to the OP. Borderlands 2 is old enough that it wouldn't be a bottleneck until you are getting like 300+ fps.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Its also totally irrelevant to the OP. Borderlands 2 is old enough that it wouldn't be a bottleneck until you are getting like 300+ fps.

He said "by the way", he probably didn't mean that it's the problem in this case

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

im running driver version 352.63 (on linux, which is the most up to date version). my cpu utilization is at like 20% so i doubt that is that issue. from what ive read elsewhere on the internet borderlands is just a bit temperamental. im waiting for a new hard drive to come in the mail before i reinstall windows, maybe that will be better over ubuntu, although a couple articles i saw reported similar performance between os's