Overclocking PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 Issues

CaseySean01

Lately, I've been having trouble overclocking my video card. I've turned up the settings only slightly (20Mhz on the core, 25 on the mem), and every 10 minutes or so, I get a crash like I've attached. I'm using afterburner, and I also turn up the power limit to +20%. Am I doing something wrong?

post-13550-0-52742100-1448932322_thumb.j

Funny that you say that since I just got a 7970 used yesterday and I'm just about to try overclocking it. Hopefully I don't have the same problem, but if I do we can troubleshoot it together!

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Lately, I've been having trouble overclocking my video card. I've turned up the settings only slightly (20Mhz on the core, 25 on the mem), and every 10 minutes or so, I get a crash like I've attached. I'm using afterburner, and I also turn up the power limit to +20%. Am I doing something wrong?

If it matters, I'm also using two displays, and because of that, the core at idle runs at 500mhz.

Funny that you say that since I just got a 7970 used yesterday and I'm just about to try overclocking it. Hopefully I don't have the same problem, but if I do we can troubleshoot it together!

Yeah for sure! Been a reliable card at stock, I can tell you that much!

From what I can remember, powercolor uses a (PCB was it?) that doesn't handle overclocking that well. Their coolers are pretty good though.

From what I can remember, powercolor uses a (PCB was it?) that doesn't handle overclocking that well. Their coolers are pretty good though.

What do you mean? Why would that affect overclocking ability? It's a twin fan cooler, but it's very passive. Doesn't like to ramp up unless it's under some serious stress.

1) Don't overclock the GPU and the VRAM at the same time. You do the GPU first and the VRAM after its stable.

2) Did you first try overclocking without touching the voltage? You should figure out your GPU's limits with stock voltage before adding more. It's entirely possible that you're overvolting.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

What do you mean? Why would that affect overclocking ability? It's a twin fan cooler, but it's very passive. Doesn't like to ramp up unless it's under some serious stress.

Not so sure to be honest, just some things I heard in the passing.

1) Don't overclock the GPU and the VRAM at the same time. You do the GPU first and the VRAM after its stable.

2) Did you first try overclocking without touching the voltage? You should figure out your GPU's limits with stock voltage before adding more. It's entirely possible that you're overvolting.

I haven't touched the core voltage AT ALL. Just the power limit. And I wasn't aware that you should change the core before the memory. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Not so sure to be honest, just some things I heard in the passing.

I've actually heard the opposite. Apparently the coolers are great, and that's what makes them great for overclocking, but I could be wrong.

I've actually heard the opposite. Apparently the coolers are great, and that's what makes them great for overclocking, but I could be wrong.

I said their coolers were great...

your overclock is not stable. period

try lower settings, your card is a bad overclocker, u got unlucky on the silicon lottery

The site has changed....

Your core clock is WAY wrong at idle...

If it matters, I'm also using two displays, and because of that, the core at idle runs at 500mhz.

The core should be idling at 300mhz/1250mhz with dual monitors. (Ive had a few 7950/7970 and know what their performance profiles are) and 300/150 without a 2nd monitor.

It's only the memory speeds that increase to 1250mhz with dual+ monitors

Your core clock is wrong already, leading me to believe a driver issue (on top of the seemingly unstable-past>stock clocks)

When the PC crash's due to an OC, MSI can be bugged out, forcing a constant 500mhz (even in games it wont boost) and a driver reinstall solves this too.

Uninstall drivers, use DDU to clean the traces left behind, and reinstall GPU drivers.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Your core clock is WAY wrong at idle...

The core should be idling at 300mhz/1250mhz with dual monitors. (Ive had a few 7950/7970 and know what their performance profiles are) and 300/150 without a 2nd monitor.

It's only the memory speeds that increase to 1250mhz with dual+ monitors

Your core clock is wrong already, leading me to believe a driver issue (on top of the seemingly unstable-past>stock clocks)

When the PC crash's due to an OC, MSI can be bugged out, forcing a constant 500mhz (even in games it wont boost) and a driver reinstall solves this too.

Uninstall drivers, use DDU to clean the traces left behind, and reinstall GPU drivers.

I was actually curious about this at first. I unplugged the second monitor from the back of the GPU, and it went back down to 300MHz. Is there a reason that is happening? I uninstalled all my drivers after finding that issue and reinstalled, but did not help. 

I said their coolers were great...

No, I mean I heard the opposite about their overclocking potential.

your overclock is not stable. period

try lower settings, your card is a bad overclocker, u got unlucky on the silicon lottery

Sorry, I'm not that knowledgable about the really technical stuff. What exactly do you mean by getting unlucky with the silicon?

Sorry, I'm not that knowledgable about the really technical stuff. What exactly do you mean by getting unlucky with the silicon?

A CPU die is made out of a disc of silicon. The closer to the center of this disc you get, the better the CPU made out of it will be.

The silicon lottery usually refers to overclocking limits. A better overclocking CPU is considered "winning the silicon lottery."

CPUs have variances in how they overclock.

The site has changed....

A CPU die is made out of a disc of silicon. The closer to the center of this disc you get, the better the CPU made out of it will be.

The silicon lottery usually refers to overclocking limits. A better overclocking CPU is considered "winning the silicon lottery."

CPUs have variances in how they overclock.

So basically the GPU I have is not up to standards? Does the manufacturing process change the ability to overclock?

So basically the GPU I have is not up to standards? Does the manufacturing process change the ability to overclock?

Some GPUs are binned to have better overclocking capabilities (ASIC quality) out of the box. Also, some manufacturers have a custom PCB design with more VRMs or other features to help with cooling or power delivery or whatnot.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I was actually curious about this at first. I unplugged the second monitor from the back of the GPU, and it went back down to 300MHz. Is there a reason that is happening? I uninstalled all my drivers after finding that issue and reinstalled, but did not help. 

It's normal, but I don't know why its such a huge jump from 300>1250.

Happened to both my 7950 and my 290 when using dual monitors.

(The way around it, is to use onboard for the 2nd screen, and dedicated gpu for the first.) But you lose the ability to clone the first to the 2nd screen cos their on different GPU's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It's normal, but I don't know why its such a huge jump from 300>1250.

Happened to both my 7950 and my 290 when using dual monitors.

(The way around it, is to use onboard for the 2nd screen, and dedicated gpu for the first.) But you lose the ability to clone the first to the 2nd screen cos their on different GPU's.

Brilliant. I never thought about using onboard, but that still doesn't explain why it's idling at 500MHz. I figured I should fix it, considering that would take the life out of the GPU faster.

Brilliant. I never thought about using onboard, but that still doesn't explain why it's idling at 500MHz. I figured I should fix it, considering that would take the life out of the GPU faster.

In Msi Afterburner. Add +1mhz and apply. Then do a 3d test and monitor clocks.

My mums 270x would idle wrong too when i set the default stocks.

So i added 1mhz and applied and it reverted to normal again. Her core is 1000mhz but using that it is actually 500mhz if i use 999 or 1001 its actually that. Tis weird but give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

In Msi Afterburner. Add +1mhz and apply. Then do a 3d test and monitor clocks.

My mums 270x would idle wrong too when i set the default stocks.

So i added 1mhz and applied and it reverted to normal again. Her core is 1000mhz but using that it is actually 500mhz if i use 999 or 1001 its actually that. Tis weird but give it a shot.

Didn't work. For some reason, it refuses to run at any core clock lower than 500MHz. Maybe it's just how PowerColor designed it?