Absolute best solution for silencing HDDs?

Eeglis

My problem is that my new HDD makes pretty loud humming noise and is now the loudest component in my system. That is WD Black 3TB, so what could you recommend for quieting the hell out of this drive?

no idea what to put here

My problem is that my new HDD makes pretty loud humming noise and is now the loudest component in my system. That is WD Black 3TB, so what could you recommend for quieting the hell out of this drive?

I've had the same issue, tried suspending it with flexible cord but it didn't make much of a difference.  Neither did making foam nest for it.  I've given up and bought more SSD storage

edit: mine was 1tb blue

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I saw some HHD silenced inclosures but they are expensive, do yo want me to find them?EDIT: they porbably aren't worth it

Anti vibration mounts if it doesn't already have them, have you checked the drive with something like crystaldiskinfo to see if the drive isn't having an issue @Eeglis

Edit: Oh wd black, yeah those drives are high performance but tend to be on the loud side

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Bungee cord, that thing you showed earlier, a rubber pad underneath. Just saying, Blacks tend to be rather loud.

The vibration shouldn't not the problem currently with my disk, it's a humming noise.

no idea what to put here

Anti vibration mounts if it doesn't already have them, have you checked the drive with something like crystaldiskinfo to see if the drive isn't having an issue @Eeglis

Haven't done that yet. I checked with hddsentinel and it says that it is ok.

no idea what to put here

I saw some HHD silenced inclosures but they are expensive, do yo want me to find them?EDIT: they porbably aren't worth it

I'm comparing few different ones. I'd appreciate if you could show me the best you can find.

no idea what to put here

Vibration causes humming.

Oh. I feel so stupid right now.

no idea what to put here

The vibration shouldn't not the problem currently with my disk, it's a humming noise.

coil whine? and the HDD enclosure stops all noise, plus have a heatsink for the HHD so it doesn't get hot in it

Haven't done that yet. I checked with hddsentinel and it says that it is ok.

Yeah I didn't notice the black at first in regards to the vibration comment, those drive tend to be a little louder for some reason, but perform really well, as I said try mounting it better

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

coil whine? and the hdd enclousure stops all noices, plus have a heatsink for the HHD so it doesnt get hot in it

HDDs can't exactly have coil while... HDD enclosures to stop all noise would have to have a vacuum as a layer to stop all noise. They would dampen the noise though.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Tell me about it my computer is almost silent when the h100i fans ramp down and I boot of my ssd

HDDs can't exactly have coil while... HDD enclosures to stop all noise would have to have a vacuum as a layer to stop all noise. They would dampen the noise though.

I put the HDD on some foam because I don't have bungees. (I've been wanting to do the bungee method for 2 years now and I've yet to get some ropes for it) And you were right, the vibration DOES create teh humming noise. Thank you! I'm going to go and tinker a bit with some of this foam that came with the HDD.

no idea what to put here

Tell me about it my computer is almost silent when the h100i fans ramp down and I boot of my ssd

I also boot from my SSD and have quiet Noctua air cooling with L.N.A adapters in a silencio case. Yet I can not afforrd storing 2 gigs of family pictures, music, videos and games on SSDs. That'd be awesome though if I could :D

no idea what to put here

I put the HDD on some foam because I don't have bungees. (I've been wanting to do the bungee method for 2 years now and I've yet to get some ropes for it) And you were right, the vibration DOES create teh humming noise. Thank you! I'm going to go and tinker a bit with some of this foam that came with the HDD.

if I were you, when you finish, I would check the temps (you can use a program like speccy, the free version) (if I understood you right, you are covering it in foam, but I might misunderstood)

if I were you, when you finish, I would check the temps (you can use a program like speccy, the free version) (if I understood you right, you are covering it in foam, but I might misunderstood)

Not quite, I'm going to put some foam under the drive so it'd rest nicely on it. The WD HDD is pretty hot for some reason anyways D:

My Seagate Barracuda 2TB is at atround 40-45C whilst WD is around 50-55C.

no idea what to put here

Not quite, I'm going to put some foam under the drive so it'd rest nicely on it. The WD HDD is pretty hot for some reason anyways D:

I'm now running only with the WD HDD and it's temps are lower than they were previously seems like it got hot because of the other HDD next to it.

no idea what to put here

wow....mine were 30-40 (before it crashed a week ago :( ) maybe u will need a cheap fan to cool them down, or maybe it is the temps they operate on

wow....mine were 30-40 (before it crashed a week ago :( ) maybe u will need a cheap fan to cool them down, or maybe it is the temps they operate on

I have two fans like 5cm away from them

no idea what to put here

I have two fans like 5cm away from them

ow ok, then you may check what other people are getting, and if they are getting the same it is normal temp, but if not, you may want to ask for a refund

This is how I have the HDD currently installed. I just disabled the barracuda that's underneath. http://imgur.com/a/ReUxi
No, I will not leave my HDDs like that. Iäm looking into putting them in a more nice manner and hopefully they'd have more room.

no idea what to put here

ow ok, then you may check what other people are getting, and if they are getting the same it is normal temp, but if not, you may want to ask for a refund

I forgot to quote you. I'm getting 46C rn on WD

no idea what to put here

I forgot to quote you. I'm getting 46C rn on WD

well I have the same HHD just is blue, I think it was under 46C(and had no fan above, but is in an open space in its own corner) but I can't check (the reason above) mabye you can jsut try turning it around